ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a headache  (Read 2143 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
I have a headache
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:35:35 pm »

I just spent 3 8hr days at a Meyer Dimitri training. What a lot of information to try to absorb in 3 days. We'll know in a week or 2 how effectively it was absorbed.

I didn't have a good idea of what Dimitri is going in, my impression from the online marketing materials led me to think of it is a network based signal routing and distribution system with processing. The reality is it is a mixing console with distributed I/O, no control surface, and a pretty sophisticated playback system for sfx. To use a control surface you need to get a Cue Console, which is a build to order custom control surface.

Where Dimitri seems to shine is in theme park installations where it is run by other automation (or it runs other automation). It has very powerful routing, and with the Spacemap controller you can create very complex many channel panning trajectories, even in 3D.

The Wild Tracks playback system give you 32 playback decks with many tracks per deck, although the output is either stereo or mono depending on routing and file type. Each deck can be reused on many cues, as long as it is not still running a track from a previous cue when you want to reuse it.

I wonder what old knowledge has left me forever to make room for all this new knowledge.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: I have a headache
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »

Kelly Bundy effect... :-)

Sounds a little like Media matrix or other computer based audio systems.

I think the next generation leap is a shared intelligence between multiple smart boxes, where they can recognize who is on a network with them, get together and put on a show, like an old Mickey Rooney movie. .

JR

Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:10:34 pm »

Kelly Bundy effect... :-)

Sounds a little like Media matrix or other computer based audio systems.

I think the next generation leap is a shared intelligence between multiple smart boxes, where they can recognize who is on a network with them, get together and put on a show, like an old Mickey Rooney movie. .

JR

My dad has a barn...

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:16:40 pm »

I know exactly where you are coming from Mac. I did the D-Mitri training in Las Vegas back in April. Your trainer was Richard Bug I guess?

There is so much that is presented in the class, it could easily be a five day long class and still not have enough time to cover everything. My only real regret is that I don't have a D-Mitri system to come back and practice on. And it's not a suitable system for use in my current job, so we will never have one to work on here. I'll have to go elsewhere to find a chance to work on the D-Mitri system, and by then I will probably have forgotten everything I learned.

It would help if they had a manual that you could read and study up on with CueStation offline.

But yes, SpaceMap is pretty much the coolest thing I have ever seen in all of audio. I told Jason, our trainer that I was not looking forward to going back to QLab after seeing what D-Mitri and SpaceMap can do.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:46:11 pm »

I will "assume" that it is the new "matrix 3" and cue console type of thing that the VRAS guys were developing before Meyer bought them out.

I did several days of training probably 10 yrs ago on the system. about 1/2 of the first day was getting my computer partitioned to work properly with the system.

Yeah-it is quite a bit to absorb.  The problem is actually trying to do something with it awhile after the class.  If you don't use it you lose it thingy.

The first space mapping thing I did was about 3 months after the class and it took awhile to "get started"  OK What do I do FIRST- type of thing.

I know that if I had to do something (even in the old system-that we still have a couple of matrix 3's if anybody is interested---) I would be totally lost.

But in the hands of a skilled programmer-it can be quite stunning.

I remember going to a church that they had a wild tracks/spacemap setup they used for demos.

It was quite stunning.  I asked the programmer how long it took him to do the audio and space mapping.  He said around 400hrs.  For a less than 5 minute "show".

So yeah-in areas where the same thing is going to be done over and over-it makes sense-but not to try and a whole lot for a one time even-unless they are paying for it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »

I will "assume" that it is the new "matrix 3" and cue console type of thing that the VRAS guys were developing before Meyer bought them out.

A lot of the guys that work on D-Mitri for Meyer also work on their VRAS system, which is now called Constellation. And they do have a VRAS module for the D-Mitri system to tie to two together. D-Mitri is what used to be LCS. The Matrix 3 is the hardware that used to run the LCS software.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.