ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD-SDI Issue, any suggestions?  (Read 7080 times)

Don Gspann

HD-SDI Issue, any suggestions?
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »

Have an issue trying to interface the component video and analog audio out of a DVD player into a Panasonic AG-HMX100 video mixer.  Using a Blackmagic Mini converter Analog to HD-SDI, video is fine, audio is distorted in a very digital sounding way. At times almost sounds like the pitch is changing. Using balanced audio into the converter. There are no other input options available on the mixer.  Can't use HDMI because mixer does not have HDCP. Using camera SDI into mixer works fine. Using converter with a Blackmagic mixer works fine. Tried multiple BMD converters, they don't like the Panasonic mixer.  Panasonic and BMD tech support have been finger pointing at each other, meanwhile I'm stuck. Anyone use any other converters with a Panasonic mixer with success?
Anyone experience any SDI incompatibility issues?

Thanks.

Mark Kapner

Re: HD-SDI Issue, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:38:21 AM »

The AG-HMX100 is a different animal it seems. We've had success using both Aja and BMD HDMI to HD-SDI converters, but we never use the embedded audio. The audio section of this switcher (or mixer, as they call it) has been a waste. Disable the follow function, you basically disable most of the audio section. In our production setups, we generally take a stereo feed from FOH, and mix a room mic or two. We accomplish this with a standalone mixer, completely bypassing all audio in the AG.

How long is your cable run? Would it be possible to run the analog audio to the mixer side of the AG via XLR? I suppose you might have to use a direct box on your audio coming out of the DVD player.

I hope some of this helps, though I'm not sure what the immediate problem is. In my dealings with this switcher, I have been less than pleased with it's functionality. I feel like the whole thing is false advertisement. I was hoping a firmware update might solve some of these issues, but I haven't seen one. I don't know if it has enough processing to allow all of the function it seems it has.

Good Luck

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

The AG-HMX100 is a different animal it seems. We've had success using both Aja and BMD HDMI to HD-SDI converters, but we never use the embedded audio.
Interesting as I had some Aja HDMI-to-HD-SDI converters that would not work properly and part of that seemed to be associated with not seeing audio on the HDMI input.

Can't use HDMI because mixer does not have HDCP.
Have you tried it?  Not many devices will enable HDCP if not connected to a HDCP input and the content is not calling for it, so unless you are trying to play protected HD content it may work.

Mark Kapner

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »

Interesting as I had some Aja HDMI-to-HD-SDI converters that would not work properly and part of that seemed to be associated with not seeing audio on the HDMI input.
 Have you tried it?  Not many devices will enable HDCP if not connected to a HDCP input and the content is not calling for it, so unless you are trying to play protected HD content it may work.

I should have been more clear. I am sure these sources are transmitting audio, but we aren't using audio from the AG.

We have also run a Sony Vaio and newer MBP with retina display through hdmi to the AG. These have seemed to work fine for content playback, but to my knowledge none of this content was protected. Though, my personal MBP would never communicate with the AG properly.

Don Gspann

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »

I have tried the HDMI directly into the switcher, but since it is copy protected material I was using, it was no go.  Today, I took the second SDI output from the BMD converter into the BMD ATEM switcher, just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, and it was clean.  Also ran analog audio into the HMX100 and took it's SDI out into the BMD mixer and that too was clean.  It also seems that the DVI video outs quit today, so I'm going to take up to Panasonic to see what they say. I kind of agree that this unit does not live up to it's marketing in even a small way. Very misleading unless you read the entire owners manual!  It does work fine with my MBP also.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »

The AG-HMX100 is a different animal it seems. We've had success using both Aja and BMD HDMI to HD-SDI converters, but we never use the embedded audio. The audio section of this switcher (or mixer, as they call it) has been a waste. Disable the follow function, you basically disable most of the audio section. In our production setups, we generally take a stereo feed from FOH, and mix a room mic or two. We accomplish this with a standalone mixer, completely bypassing all audio in the AG.

How long is your cable run? Would it be possible to run the analog audio to the mixer side of the AG via XLR? I suppose you might have to use a direct box on your audio coming out of the DVD player.

I hope some of this helps, though I'm not sure what the immediate problem is. In my dealings with this switcher, I have been less than pleased with it's functionality. I feel like the whole thing is false advertisement. I was hoping a firmware update might solve some of these issues, but I haven't seen one. I don't know if it has enough processing to allow all of the function it seems it has.

Good Luck
After spending far too much time trying to wrap my head around the audio routing in this console, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed. Then again, I've typically had to route audio via a small mixer anyway, so no big loss there. Just too bad it isn't designed to work independently of everything else.  Other than that, I can't really complain about the console; decently low latency, workable I/O, two keys, works for me.

FYI, I've never been able to get an MPB to work with it; always ended up going either analog, or converting to HDMI to SDI.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.