ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie DLM8  (Read 14932 times)

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
Re: Mackie DLM8
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »

I heard the DLM8 in the store. I was not that impressed with the 8. The HF for some reason doesn't come out, especially if you step over 15 ft away. It doesn't have the low end either, surprise surprise. It is nothing like the DLM12, which sounds pretty awesome, near or far. I would say it does sound better than SRM350, in the sense that it's not as muddy. but it is not as good as K10 in terms of clarity, bass, and output.

If you use it for monitor, I think it's fine. It's so small, doesn't look any larger than a true wedge when it's leaning on the kickstand. I guess Mackie decides not to incorporate a slanted surface on the back in order to maximize internal volume for the bass. For monitoring, sonically I would take the DLM8 over SRM350 any day.

You should have a listen yourself and see how you like it.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »

I heard the DLM8 in the store. I was not that impressed with the 8. The HF for some reason doesn't come out, especially if you step over 15 ft away. It doesn't have the low end either, surprise surprise.
With a product like the Mackie DLM that has internal DSP including EQ presets, internal effects and a feedback eliminator then for any auditions one needs to consider the related settings and their potential affect on what is heard.  Do you happen to know what any of the settings were when you listened to them?

If you look at Page 25 in http://www.mackie.com/products/dlmseries/pdf/DLM8-12_OM.pdf, none of the EQ presets seem to be trying for anywhere near a flat response and the DLM8 seems to have a big 'suckout' at 3kHz with any of the EQ settings.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:21:10 PM by Brad Weber »

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »

With a product like the Mackie DLM that has internal DSP including EQ presets, internal effects and a feedback eliminator then for any auditions one needs to consider the related settings and their potential affect on what is heard.  Do you happen to know what any of the settings were when you listenedd to them?

If you look at Page 25 in http://www.mackie.com/products/dlmseries/pdf/DLM8-12_OM.pdf, none of the EQ presets seem to be trying for anywhere near a flat response and the DLM8 seems to have a big 'suckout' at 3kHz with any of the EQ settings.

Thanks for the link. The graph confirms what I heard... The 8 did not sound terrible, despite the 3k notch, but I definitely like the 12 much better. I went to check out the 12, the 8 was just there for the ride. It appears from the graph that different settings on the 8 will make a little difference.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »

Looking for opinions. Anybody here play with these yet? If they sounded no better than the old SRM350, I'd be happy enough for my application. If they came anywhere near a QSC K10, I'd be ecstatic.

I just had a pair of DLM8s and DLM12s subs in for a Road Test. 

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/road_test_mackie_dlm8_dlm12s_compact_system/

I really like the sound of the DLM8. I ran it in my shop with and without the sub. Without the sub it would be good for a speech gig or maybe an acoustic gig with just vocals and guitars. With the sub you could do a lower volume band or wedding DJ. With two subs to one DLM8 its a pretty small but kickin system.

I took it out to a few gigs and it worked great for them.  While I played with the kickstand in my shop, I never used it as a monitor wedge onstage so I really can't comment on how it sounds as a wedge.

I have zero experience with the SRM350s and the QSC K10s so I can't compare it to any of those. I think the DLM8 sounds better, but not as loud and not as much bottom end as the Mackie HD 1221.

I did hear the DLM12 at the NAMM show with a few different inputs. That's also a nice sounding box and has a little more bottom end.

If I were shopping for a very compact PA this would be at the top of my list. If I needed a very loud PA I would look at larger boxes.

Craig

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »

Looking for opinions. Anybody here play with these yet? If they sounded no better than the old SRM350, I'd be happy enough for my application. If they came anywhere near a QSC K10, I'd be ecstatic.

Give a listen to the Yamaha DXR12 for comparison.  Similar cost to the DLM8.  Significantly better output than the DLM12.  The DXR12 also has matching angles on both cabinet sides so you can do mirror imaged pairs of monitors.

IMO better sounding than the Mackie, QSC, or Yorkville options but that's in the ear of the beholder.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

Give a listen to the Yamaha DXR12 for comparison.  Similar cost to the DLM8.

Cost isn't the major factor in my particular application. Size and weight are. I'm trying to fly a PA as checked baggage.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »

Cost isn't the major factor in my particular application. Size and weight are. I'm trying to fly a PA as checked baggage.

Well, the DXR10 is close in size to the DLM8, capable of 6dB greater peak output but it does weigh 11 pounds more.  Not sure what the closest Pelican or SkB cases would be for either of these or if you'd have custom cases built for when you fly with them.
Both the Mackie and the Yamaha are fan cooled.
If the Yamaha's are close to the size give them a listen.  I have found them to be really fantastic for the price.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »

I have zero experience with the SRM350s and the QSC K10s so I can't compare it to any of those. I think the DLM8 sounds better, but not as loud and not as much bottom end as the Mackie HD 1221.

How would you compare it to the EV ZXa1 in terms of sound and output? I realize it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But it's a few pounds less, has similar output specs and appears to go down lower.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »

compare it to the EV ZXa1

There's a box I hadn't looked at. Interesting. That few pounds lighter makes a huge difference to me. A pair of them in their shipping boxes strapped together should fly as checked baggage no surcharge.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »

There's a box I hadn't looked at. Interesting. That few pounds lighter makes a huge difference to me. A pair of them in their shipping boxes strapped together should fly as checked baggage no surcharge.

I own some ZXa1's and they're a fantastic box for the size. Currently I use them as stage lip fills on a vocal matrix send for the folks against the stage lip who are just out of the pattern of the mains. I was getting complaints at louder shows in my venue that the folks up front couldn't hear the vocals. They work like a charm.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.