ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What Do Bands Really Want When They Play?  (Read 12624 times)

Lee Wright

• www.sydneypahire.com.au
What Do Bands Really Want When They Play?
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:36:37 AM »

Hope it's not a strange question.  I'm working on my service offering & marketing & I'd like to know from people's experience what your average amateur rock band really wants when they play.  For example is it all about:

-Looking good in front of the audience (often family & friends)
-Enjoying the music.
-Enjoying playing with the other band members.

Appreciate people's thoughts.

David Parker

Re: What Do Bands Really Want When They Play?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:13:13 AM »

Hope it's not a strange question.  I'm working on my service offering & marketing & I'd like to know from people's experience what your average amateur rock band really wants when they play.  For example is it all about:

-Enjoying the music.

I work for several cover bands in the Houston area. The biggest thing all my clients seem to want is a lively crowd. They want a room full of people who enjoy the music. Dancing, yelling and clapping at the end of a song, all the evidences that they are connecting with the band. Since the bands hire me, and not the clubs, my no. 1 goal is to get the band's monitors sounding good, make them comfortable on stage. No. 2 is to please the club manager, since he's the one that decides if the bands gets hired again, 3rd is pleasing the people in attendance, and fourth place is pleasing me.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »

hifi quality sound. drums and other stuff to sound as if it wasnt coming through a pa. srong bass but not boomy or overbearing. smooth no-schrill highs rolled off at about 16k. good instrument balance. Jonny Wnter rock n rool song off saints and sinners is a good example. rock bottom by ufo , bad case of loving you by Robert Palmer.

as for the crowd we dont care. we enjoy playing and its more fun when others are involved especially much women !

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »

-Enjoying the music.

Is this a bunch of friends playing together for their and their friends' amusement, a band trying to get some regular gigs, a band trying to move up or what?  What are the personalities involved?  What genre of music and what 'vibe' is desired?

If you are trying to market to specific genres or markets then you need to focus on what is typical for those situations.  If you want to serve multiple markets and situations then you may need to try to understand all of them and show how you can adjust what you do to serve each.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »

They want to be able to hear themselves when they play.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

In my experience... it sort of depends on the maturity level of the band.  The low-maturity bands and there (at the gig) for themselves and to hear each other play.  The high-maturity bands are there for their fans and the crowd.

Grayson MSA Rech

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »

In my experience... it sort of depends on the maturity level of the band.  The low-maturity bands and there (at the gig) for themselves and to hear each other play.  The high-maturity bands are there for their fans and the crowd.

I couldn't have said it better Robert.  My 20+ years of national acts and bottom local yokal bands all point to the maturity thing.  I've watch the lowest name act be flat out awesome to me, promoter, and the audience and national name acts be coked up and flugly to everyone and wonder why the fan base and gigs dry up. 

As for a humorous answer, pretty much every act wants to get laid at the end of the night because they were rock starts  ;D

The ironic part is audience think that we as audio engineers can make that happen and cozy up to us during the show.  As soon as "good night" comes down the PA wire they leave us in the dark corner wrapping cables with empty promises of beer, help and maybe some after show "action".  I stopped believing in it after the 3 show. 

Wait I forget . . . why do I still do this?!?! ???

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »

LOUD MONITORS!  The band wants to hear themselves.  They don't really know what it sounds like out front, but if it sounds good on stage they will call you back.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »

A good mix to FOH, a good mix to the monitors, someone who understands, someone who's helpful, and someone that's not an asshole.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »

it helps with guitarists if you oogle their guitars and pedals, and ask them about them. find something about them that was good and stands out and tell them about it. I've never been a kiss-up kinda guy, but a little goodwill goes a long way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.