ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What Do Bands Really Want When They Play?  (Read 10124 times)

Rick Powell

Re: What Do Bands Really Want When They Play?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:03 pm »

Hope it's not a strange question.  I'm working on my service offering & marketing & I'd like to know from people's experience what your average amateur rock band really wants when they play.  For example is it all about:

-Looking good in front of the audience (often family & friends)
-Enjoying the music.
-Enjoying playing with the other band members.

Appreciate people's thoughts.

If the lead guitarist's (or insert other lead instrument) fingers are moving more than once every few seconds, there's a good chance he/she's playing a lead, and that the sound person should notice and turn it up as necessary so it can be heard atop the mix.  I am still amazed how many supposedly experienced mixers miss this one.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 11:56:44 pm »

A good mix to FOH, a good mix to the monitors, someone who understands, someone who's helpful, and someone that's not an asshole.
+1

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »

So how's this for an ad:

Want to be a Rock God?  Want your audience going beserk on the dance floor?
Want to actually hear yourself in foldback?  Want to be hot with the ladies even if youre the bass player?   Want the venue to ask you back? Then hire us for your next event

How about "Want a sound tech who actually pays attention to you?"

A local cover band was alternating some gigs between me and another sound tech, to see whom they liked better. When they told me I was the one, I asked, "What did I do right?" Answer: I payed attention before, throughout, and after the show, and was proactive in finding out what they wanted and were they getting it. That, and the other guy apparently was flirting with a band member's girlfriend.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »

You guys must get all the good ones.   :-[

Around here, the band wants:
1) the cheapest system they can get.
2) the biggest collection of gear they can fit in the room (need not sound great, but should be lots of it)
3) everything louder than everything else in the monitors

I like the bands that travel into town because they generally are more sophisticated/experienced and thus easier to work with.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »

I want to make a connection with the audience, make them forget about what's wrong with life for an hour or 3, and get them to act the fool. 

Helps to be good to do that.  Good monitors and a good FOH mix help.  Good band mates help a lot.

Hope it's not a strange question.  I'm working on my service offering & marketing & I'd like to know from people's experience what your average amateur rock band really wants when they play.  For example is it all about:

-Looking good in front of the audience (often family & friends)
-Enjoying the music.
-Enjoying playing with the other band members.

Appreciate people's thoughts.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 02:09:49 pm »

Bands don't want anything at all...

... the people in them are another story.

Lee Wright

• www.sydneypahire.com.au
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 05:17:46 pm »

If the lead guitarist's (or insert other lead instrument) fingers are moving more than once every few seconds, there's a good chance he/she's playing a lead, and that the sound person should notice and turn it up as necessary so it can be heard atop the mix.  I am still amazed how many supposedly experienced mixers miss this one.
Yeah I always watch & listen in the headphones to for either the lead guitar or anyone else that starts doing something particularly funky.  They put in a lot of work so it's a shame if it doesn't get heard.    It surprises me how lead guitarists have every type of pedal under the sun except a volume pedal.   It's far better if they give it the juice just before their solo rather than wait a bar or so before I hear it & react.

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 06:06:23 pm »

It surprises me how lead guitarists have every type of pedal under the sun except a volume pedal.   It's far better if they give it the juice just before their solo rather than wait a bar or so before I hear it & react.

One thing is mixing a show, another thing is babysitting all night because the guitarplayer can't spend a tenner on a boost pedal or learn to set up his stuff for the performance he is trying to give.

What bands want? Drugs before they play, rock&roll while they play and sex after. Or all of it all the time, but that is unrealistic.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »

If the player has a good sense of dynamics the sound guy shouldn't have to do much to make sure each note is heard. A guitarist with a good sense of dynamics will adjust how hard they pick when playing certain notes so that they stand out more. A lot of guitarists have not yet developed a good sense of dynamics and so they're all over the place volume wise. They make a sound guy's job a lot harder (which is why I'm thankful for compressors).

Each musician should make sure that their dynamics match what they want the audience to hear. If they want a certain part to sound quieter they need to play quieter. If they have a solo they need to turn up or play harder. I've experienced a few times a guitar player who would play really quiet on lead parts or solos and really heavy on the power chords, when it should have been the opposite.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

If the player has a good sense of dynamics the sound guy shouldn't have to do much to make sure each note is heard. A guitarist with a good sense of dynamics will adjust how hard they pick when playing certain notes so that they stand out more. A lot of guitarists have not yet developed a good sense of dynamics and so they're all over the place volume wise. They make a sound guy's job a lot harder (which is why I'm thankful for compressors).

Each musician should make sure that their dynamics match what they want the audience to hear. If they want a certain part to sound quieter they need to play quieter. If they have a solo they need to turn up or play harder. I've experienced a few times a guitar player who would play really quiet on lead parts or solos and really heavy on the power chords, when it should have been the opposite.

Even when a player has a great sense of dynamics, the soundman should ride the solos IMO. 
The player is working with what he hears in the monitors.  It's my job to make sure that translates to FOH.  It's not as much work when they're good, but it's still important and can make a huge and positive effect on the mix.  And when a player doesn't have control over their dynamics, it's doubly important to actively mix. 

IMO, if the sound guy is going to "set it and forget it" you might as well mix from the stage and not hire a sound guy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.