ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iLive, 2-way system and Xilica XP 8080 processing power  (Read 5911 times)

Åke Holmlund

iLive, 2-way system and Xilica XP 8080 processing power
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

Hi!

I'm involved in designing a system where I'm considering an A&H iLive mixer, an Xilica XP8080 and a two way speaker system (L, R + mono sub(s)). The goal is to be able so use the system in three ways, depending on preferences an usage:
  • LRSub (stereo tops, "auxfed" mono sub(s)). Used mainly for concerts
  • LR (stereo tops, "standard" xover mono sub(s)). Used mainly for concerts
  • LR (stereo fullrange tops). Used mainly for conference type sound
One important thing is to be able to choose between these three configurations with a simple scene change, without having to change the mixer configuration.

My plan is to configure the mixer for LRSub and change the mode of operation using matrixes. I'm planning on using 5 matrixes:
  • Matrix 1, 2 will get the signal from mains L and R, sending it to the Xilica input 1, 2
  • Matrix 3 will get its signal from mains Sub OR L & R combined and level adjusted, depending on the scene, and sending it to the Xilica input 3
  • Matrix 4 and 5 will get the signal from mains L and R and sending it ro the Xilica input 4 and 5
The scenes will be configured this way:
  • In the LRSub scene, matrixes 1, 2 and 3 would be active (matrix 3 getting the signal from the Sub mains) and matrix 4 and 5 will be muted.
  • In the LR scene, matrixes 1, 2 and 3 will be active (matrix 3 getting the signal from the L & R mains, summed and level adjusted) and matrix 4 and 5 will be muted.
  • In the LR full range scene, matrix 4 and 5 will get the signal from mains L & R and matrix 1, 2 and 3 will be muted.
The Xilica will be configured like this:
  • Input 1, 2 and 3 will be completely (L, R and mono Sub) processed on the input side an then routed to output 1, 2 and 3.
  • Input 4 and 5 will be processed (L and R full range) on the input side and then routed to output 1 and 2.
Hope this all makes sense!

Basically, I have two questions:
  • Do You think this is going to work?
  • Given the concerns, in the thread linked above, about the processing power in the Xilica processors. Do You think that the limited processing resources will be a problem in this scenario?
Sorry for the long post...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: iLive, 2-way system and Xilica XP 8080 processing power
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:03:55 AM »

Since you posted this in the Installed Sound forum, I assume it is an installed system so I can understand maybe having a different EQ for conference versus concert applications but why would you not use the subwoofers in all setups?  And speaking of subwoofers, why the mono subs, are they center clustered?

Have you considered creating left, right and sub aux mixes in the mixer, running those to inputs 1, 2 and 3 respectively on the processor and then using presets in the processor to select how those three signals are processed and routed inside the processor?  A 'full range stereo' preset might take left and right as full range and then use the output processing for the crossover. The 'aux fed sub' preset would high pass the left and right inputs and low pass the sub input then route them appropriately with no other crossover.  If you really wanted a 'no sub' option then that preset would be simply the left and right inputs routed to the left and right main outputs respectively.  That way you could also have different low pass filtering, EQ, limiting, etc. set for each situation.

Åke Holmlund

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »

Two things first. I intended to link to a froum topic about Xilica processors but that link got lost somewhere... Here is the link: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,139152.0.html. I also realized that the word "conference" probably was a bad choice. Seminars would probably be better (<100 ppl).

Since you posted this in the Installed Sound forum, I assume it is an installed system so I can understand maybe having a different EQ for conference versus concert applications but why would you not use the subwoofers in all setups?  And speaking of subwoofers, why the mono subs, are they center clustered?

Yes, it's an installed system. There is more about the system (most about speaker choices) in this thread: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,142173.0.html. The reason for leaving the sub(s) out of the seminar setup is that the seminar sound is mostly spoken word with some videos (from computers) and "light" (low spl) prerecorded music. The use of a sub would be very limited in this setting. It might even create more problems then it would solve.

Have you considered creating left, right and sub aux mixes in the mixer, running those to inputs 1, 2 and 3 respectively on the processor and then using presets in the processor to select how those three signals are processed and routed inside the processor?  A 'full range stereo' preset might take left and right as full range and then use the output processing for the crossover. The 'aux fed sub' preset would high pass the left and right inputs and low pass the sub input then route them appropriately with no other crossover.  If you really wanted a 'no sub' option then that preset would be simply the left and right inputs routed to the left and right main outputs respectively.  That way you could also have different low pass filtering, EQ, limiting, etc. set for each situation.

I have considered it BUT in the seminar setting there will not be a sound engineer present most of the time. In this setting it will be used by "novices" with no sound experience to speak of. The system will be controlled from a PL-Anet controller (PL-6 or PL-10). More "advanced" users could also use an iPad as controller. The idea is to be able to configure the system by pressing one button on the PL-Anet controller. Having to configure the Xilica processor would actually be too complicated... If the processor could be remote controlled from the mixer it would be a possibility but, as far as I know, the iLive system does not have that functionality.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »

I have considered it BUT in the seminar setting there will not be a sound engineer present most of the time. In this setting it will be used by "novices" with no sound experience to speak of. The system will be controlled from a PL-Anet controller (PL-6 or PL-10). More "advanced" users could also use an iPad as controller. The idea is to be able to configure the system by pressing one button on the PL-Anet controller. Having to configure the Xilica processor would actually be too complicated... If the processor could be remote controlled from the mixer it would be a possibility but, as far as I know, the iLive system does not have that functionality.
I've done exactly what I mentioned a couple of times in similar situations for systems with an iLive and a PL-6.  Created a custom plate with buttons that connect to a matrix processor with logic inputs, pushing a button triggers the related matrix preset and the logic in the processor causes the appropriate button to light.  The install versions of the Xilicas have logic I/O for just such purposes.  It seems pretty simple for someone to walk up and push a button labeled "Concert-Aux Fed" or "Conference/Seminar" then see the button light up to show that preset is selected.

Since you are then using DSP presets you can then have different routing and processing in the DSP for each preset.

Åke Holmlund

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »

I've done exactly what I mentioned a couple of times in similar situations for systems with an iLive and a PL-6.  Created a custom plate with buttons that connect to a matrix processor with logic inputs, pushing a button triggers the related matrix preset and the logic in the processor causes the appropriate button to light.  The install versions of the Xilicas have logic I/O for just such purposes.  It seems pretty simple for someone to walk up and push a button labeled "Concert-Aux Fed" or "Conference/Seminar" then see the button light up to show that preset is selected.

Since you are then using DSP presets you can then have different routing and processing in the DSP for each preset.

Hmmm... You have given me something to think about! There are some more pieces in this puzzle I would have to rethink to make this change but sometimes rethinking can be a good thing!

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

If you want to do it all in the console you can do something like this.

Use Matrix Outputs for L/R/Sub
Mtx 1- L
Mtx 2- R
Mtx 3- Subs

Scene 1: Route Main Stereo Bus to Mtx 1 and 2, route sub aux to Mtx 3
Scene 2: Route Main Stereo Bus to Mtx 1,2, and 3
Scene 3: Route Main Stereo Bus to Mtx 1 and 3, Mute Mtx 3

I tend to lean more on the DSP to do this sort of stuff as described above using logic I/O etc, I have had issues with end users messing with scenes.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.