ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing speaker grill for permanent install  (Read 6154 times)

Lester Seidenberg

Re: Removing speaker grill for permanent install
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »

I've been thinking about removing the grill (metal mesh) from the front of our permanently installed speakers.  Anyone else done this?  What are the pros and cons?  Our house speakers are inside a fabric covered gondola/proscenium so there would be no visible difference.

As I see it...

Pros:
Eliminate any audio effect of having the grill in place.  Theoretically, the sound will be a bit smoother, but is that enough to even worry about?

Cons:
Could make it easier for bugs to get into the cabinets, the HF horns, or onto the LF drivers.  With fiberglass/paper LF cones, and crickets in this area, the little buggers could eat the LF cones.

Any other reasons that I would or would not want to do this?

The metal mesh is to protect against bigger things than insects.  Things like baseballs, golf balls, fists,  beer bottles, heads and the like.  I'd leave them on unless they start rattling on the low frequencies, otherwise why waste the time and energy.
Lester

Jeff Foster

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »

The metal mesh is to protect against bigger things than insects.  Things like baseballs, golf balls, fists,  beer bottles, heads and the like.  I'd leave them on unless they start rattling on the low frequencies, otherwise why waste the time and energy.
Lester

As I mentioned earlier, we already completed the needed maintenance on the speakers and won't be accessing them again anytime soon, so this question is moot now.

However just to clarify, we don't have very many 'baseballs, golf balls, fists,  beer bottles, heads and the like' flying around our main worship center.  If we do, they rarely get 20 ft up off the ground, and even then we've never had one puncture the fabric covering on the proscenium.  I'd be more concerned with the stained glass behind the baptistery if we had that kind of stuff flying around.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »

I'd be more concerned with the stained glass behind the baptistery if we had that kind of stuff flying around.
If glass is "flying around" I think there are bigger problems to worry about than the loudspeakers.

But then again-I don't know what kind of church it is or "style of worship".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

If glass is "flying around" I think there are bigger problems to worry about than the loudspeakers.

But then again-I don't know what kind of church it is or "style of worship".

Tornadic.  It's popular out here on the Plains... /satire
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Removing speaker grill for permanent install
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »

What are these bugs that can't penetrate a grill with holes? I live in "the swamp" and have had no issues with bugs messing up my gear, and trust me, we have PLENTY of bugs in our shop.

IOW, I don't think grills are protecting you from bugs.

I have tried grills off on several speakers and there is a tiny amount more clarity in my experience, but not worth the trouble honestly.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »

sugar coated speakers = bugs !

Jeff Foster

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

What are these bugs that can't penetrate a grill with holes?

Black field crickets.  They're mostly harmless, just a nuisance.  The speaker grills on ours are lined with foam on the backside so even if the crickets could squeeze through the holes, there is foam in their way.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.