ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap durable mic stands  (Read 105864 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Re: Cheap durable mic stands
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

I used to run sound for a cover band (using their gear) that did a lot of '90s "anger rock" (think Rage Against The Machine et al). The singer was good, but had two annoying habits: (1) standing on the monitor wedge (pushing the grill into the cone), and (2) banging the mic stand (straight stand with round weighted base) on the stage while holding the mic in the other hand.

The look on his face as he's pounding the stand on the stage, and the threads break, the base just thumps down and he's left holding the pole. Sorry, no spares in the trailer. You're holding the mic for the rest of the show.

I tried to convince them to buy $50 Atlas MS-12's instead of the $20 cheapo stands. They just couldn't get the idea of a "high end" stand. It was like saying "high end pencil" to them.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Pete Bansen

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »

I like the look of the folding tripod stands.  Wish they'd done a stackable design for the cast bases and there's a reason some performers like a round base.  There are movements that a tripod base would make a little more awkward.

UPDATE:  They may be durable, but by no means would I consider them "cheap" or even affordable for most.  For a larger batch of live use stands, the $60-80 is a better fit in my range.  These look to be more of a studio oriented stand, hence the "studio" in their name.  For live, I'll take their other stands.  Some of mine are now ~10yrs old with nothing other than scraped chrome to show for wear.  Booms still hold tight, all the parts are nice and straight.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211158-REG/tama_iron_works_studio_ms756bk.html

Here's the "tour" version, which is a good bit more reasonable than the "studio" offering:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211163-REG/tama_iron_works_tour_ms456bk.html

jesseweiss

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »

Recently bought a set of 4 K&M's and will never look back.  The difference from $20 stands, or honestly even $50 stands from a big box store is night and day. All the cheapos are now just extras, and I'm looking at getting a few more K&M for drum overheads.

It's twice the price for 10x the quality and durability.

Stan Shields

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »

The K&M stands are the way to go, however, if you absolutely MUST buy cheap stands there are some sold on Fleabay labeled "Epic". Telescoping boom, lightweight, uses same thread thumbscrews as K&M so they're replaceable, these are the best of the cheeps. You can put 6 of these in the onstage micstand bag and actually pick it up ;)
http://r.ebay.com/rakb7i

Paul Tollini

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »

Here's the "tour" version, which is a good bit more reasonable than the "studio" offering:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211163-REG/tama_iron_works_tour_ms456bk.html

I've got both the standard chrome Tama stands and the newer "Iron Works". The standard ones are excellent quality, there isn't any need to go to the iron works other than the black finish. They are heavier than the standard as well.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »

I've got both the standard chrome Tama stands and the newer "Iron Works". The standard ones are excellent quality,

Have you noticed that thing where the plastic bit under the extension set screw on the boom arm gets out of alignment?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Simon Jordan

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »

Absolutely. K&M are well worth paying extra for - just like so many audio products originating from Germany, the quality is so much better.

Simon Jordan
Pianist for Hire - http://pianistwedding.co.uk/

Recently bought a set of 4 K&M's and will never look back.  The difference from $20 stands, or honestly even $50 stands from a big box store is night and day. All the cheapos are now just extras, and I'm looking at getting a few more K&M for drum overheads.

It's twice the price for 10x the quality and durability.

George Dougherty

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2016, 07:48:21 PM »

Have you noticed that thing where the plastic bit under the extension set screw on the boom arm gets out of alignment?
Yes, the only thing I don't like about the Tama stands.  It only seems to make it slightly difficult to slide the boom shorter or longer though and the rest of the stand is built like a tank compared to most others I've ever used, even K&M.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:44 AM »

Yes, the only thing I don't like about the Tama stands.  It only seems to make it slightly difficult to slide the boom shorter or longer though and the rest of the stand is built like a tank compared to most others I've ever used, even K&M.

I also want to retract my previous recommendation of the On Stage high end stands.  The counterweights on the boom come off, the clutches are starting to show age.

I have been acquiring 4-6 K&M's a month until that's all I have.  There are products that the whole is greater than the sum.  It's not one thing, they are like fine watches,  everything feels just right.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber