ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap durable mic stands  (Read 105683 times)

Kenny Deal

Re: Cheap durable mic stands
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the ones I have but they are the heavy base horseshoe stackable ones and i use k&m booms. Have had them for 10+ years and much abuse. I will not use those tripod stands.
I wanna say they are Ultimate stands but I can't remember.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:05:00 AM by Kenny Deal »

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the ones I have but they are the heavy base horseshoe stackable ones and i use k&m booms. Have had them for 10+ years and much abuse. I will not use those tripod stands.
I wanna say they are Ultimate stands but I can't remember.
Probably Ultimate Stackers.
Atlas and K&M are making them now, too.

Lee Wright

• www.sydneypahire.com.au
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »

Another nice thing about the K&M is that replacement parts are readily available.   I've had mine for more than 10 years & still going strong.   

Sean Barry

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »

I'm in the market for a few stands. I eyeballed the K&M site and they have 3 levels of stands, Baseline, Topline and Starline? I always thought "Top" was the best? The consensus here is K&W, rinse and repeat?
 Is there a difference between their lines quality, commensurate (that is the biggest word I have ever typed and my spell checker is suffering thermal over load) with pricing?
 Is there no company that competes with the "Baseline"?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Cheap durable mic stands
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »

Ok, banjo center has DR stands. Not up to K&M but way better than the cheapies.
I have some tall tripods and a couple of shorts. For shorts I mostly use the ones from Audiopile.net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »

Forget all the lines & stuff,  for an extendable boom stand,  it's the K&M 210/9 stand all the way. Don't bother with their value line,  a as it's little better than all the rest.

Lance Richens

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »

Forget all the lines & stuff,  for an extendable boom stand,  it's the K&M 210/9 stand all the way. Don't bother with their value line,  a as it's little better than all the rest.

I bought 6 K&M 210's from Mike Pyle & couldn't be happier with them.... B)
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 12:33:49 AM »

I have some older Atlas tall tripod extendable booms that I got in bulk quite a few years back ('04 ish?). Now the upright adjustments are sticky and inconsistent on all of them. I almost always get bitten when I'm taking them down after a show because they just won't go down, and I keep loosening them until  WHAM!, they slam right onto the web of my thumb/index finger. Arghh! Some day I will learn...
I also have the K&M 210/9's and they are as smooth as silk. They aren't quite as old, but they don't exhibit any signs of getting sticky or inconsistent. They just work amazingly well (in comparison to the Atlas, and in comparison to similar Guitar Center models I've encountered).
I will say, though, that recently they have changed the design of the 210/9 series. The finger bolts on the boom-telescope and the base-upright used to be a heavy duty, dense plastic wingnut style, and the boom pivot was a large, heavy, die-cast wingnut. Now the small adjustments are little round, plastic caps molded onto a threaded steel bolt, and the boom pivot is a barbell type. Frankly, I like the barbell design because it's easier to get it tight enough to hold a '58 at full boom extension, but the little round caps are not confidence inspiring. I anticipate the day when there are a bunch of little plastic caps in the bottom of the stands case, and we have to pull out the pliers in order to adjust the mic stands.
Time will tell.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »

Ok, banjo center has DR stands. Not up to K&M but way better than the cheapies.
I have some tall tripods and a couple of shorts. For shorts I mostly use the ones from Audiopile.net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The ONLY discount priced stand to consider is this one ^^^. The DR Pro tripod. Both tall and short. They are durable and about $60 each....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »

The ONLY discount priced stand to consider is this one ^^^. The DR Pro tripod. Both tall and short. They are durable and about $60 each....

I have a DR Pro. Just got a Tama. The Tama is considerably more seriously constructed. It's heavy.

On the other hand, I just did a run of shows where the provider brought grey K&M Starlines. I'm in love.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.