ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap durable mic stands  (Read 105885 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Cheap durable mic stands
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »

And don't buy the cheapie models from Atlas or K&M.
Exactly. You can buy one $80 K&M, or you can buy 10 (or more) $35 cheapies to do the same job. Which do you think is cheaper?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2015, 09:10:35 AM »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/km-tripod-microphone-stand-with-boom-arm

$35

this is advertised as a K&M stand,  when you get it , it doesnt say K&M on the stand it's self but is stamped
"Made in Germany", I have 8 of them and they ( so far ) have been great.

I got four of those this week. I'm impressed, for the price. Good steel, cast base, the legs attach with a bolt and are therefore serviceable. Standard thread. I'd say the week point is the stand clutch. Plastic threads on the collar are going to crap out on the metal threads of the tube.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »

K&M or DR Pro

Thats all you need to know about mic stands

Does that hold for folding stands, as well? I'm looking to pick up a pair of folding stands, preferably something that collapses to less than 30" long. Don't need booms, and don't mind them, either. Just need folding stands. I know K&M has some that look solid enough.
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »

Its especially true for folding stands
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

RyanWilliams

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »

Any one have a cheap reliable option?  I refuse to buy another dozen of the garbage On-Stage model.  Seems like every part breaks or strips in 2 months.  I usually try and track down a bunch used, but the markets seems a little dry right now and I need them quick.  I was looking at the Quik Lok A-300.  Anybody have an experience with them or a good recommendation?  I'm trying to pick up 6-7 of them and keep my budget down around $200.

Thanks!
Justin

K&M.  Buy them once and forget it.  They're worth it.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2016, 03:32:13 PM »

If you must use a gooseneck adapter on a microphone stand, the only ones I've found to be tolerable are made by Atlas.

All the others I've seen make horrible noises when touched or won't hold a microphone up.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Pete Bansen

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »

Anyone tried the Tama "Iron Works" line of mic stands?

http://www.tamamicstands.com/products/iron_works_studio/index.html

Most of my stands are K&M, but I have a few Atlas cast base stands that I use sometimes and this design for attaching the post to the base looks much better than the typical fine-thread socket in the base.  You can remove the base for transport and not worry too much about some knucklehead cross-threading the thing when it's reassembled.  The boom tilt assembly looks impressive, also.

I have a few Tama stands and they're very solid.  These look like they would be even better, if kinda heavy.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »

Anyone tried the Tama "Iron Works" line of mic stands?

http://www.tamamicstands.com/products/iron_works_studio/index.html
Aren't the iron components likely to rust...?

Pete Bansen

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »

Aren't the iron components likely to rust...?

I expect that they're painted or powder-coated just as the steel parts are and would be no more likely to rust that any other quality stands.  The Tama stands that I have are the old-school chrome-plated type, but they are great, heavy-duty stands, equal to K&M in durability.  Might have to try to find a vendor for the Tamas and give them a try.

George Dougherty

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

I expect that they're painted or powder-coated just as the steel parts are and would be no more likely to rust that any other quality stands.  The Tama stands that I have are the old-school chrome-plated type, but they are great, heavy-duty stands, equal to K&M in durability.  Might have to try to find a vendor for the Tamas and give them a try.
I like the look of the folding tripod stands.  Wish they'd done a stackable design for the cast bases and there's a reason some performers like a round base.  There are movements that a tripod base would make a little more awkward.

UPDATE:  They may be durable, but by no means would I consider them "cheap" or even affordable for most.  For a larger batch of live use stands, the $60-80 is a better fit in my range.  These look to be more of a studio oriented stand, hence the "studio" in their name.  For live, I'll take their other stands.  Some of mine are now ~10yrs old with nothing other than scraped chrome to show for wear.  Booms still hold tight, all the parts are nice and straight.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1211158-REG/tama_iron_works_studio_ms756bk.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:03:29 AM by George Dougherty »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.