ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap durable mic stands  (Read 105686 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Cheap durable mic stands
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 12:59:33 AM »

I think i only bought 2 of them..the rest were cast offs from another sound guy...and i have had them more than 2 years...and if the high $$ stands walk off when they are 3 mos old?  now that i have seen there are better options out there Ill probably pick up a few as needed, but My experence with them is not as bad as you guys talk about
The point is that you have to look beyond the purchase cost.  Instead, look at cost of ownership.  Those so called "cheap" stands start to look down-right expensive from that perspective.

I have some K&M and Atlas stands that are easily 20 years old - and still kicking.  Of course, anyone is welcome to spend their money on a pile of broken stands if that's what they really want.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

James Puckett

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »

Any one have a cheap reliable option?  I refuse to buy another dozen of the garbage On-Stage model.  Seems like every part breaks or strips in 2 months.  I usually try and track down a bunch used, but the markets seems a little dry right now and I need them quick.  I was looking at the Quik Lok A-300.  Anybody have an experience with them or a good recommendation?  I'm trying to pick up 6-7 of them and keep my budget down around $200.

Thanks!
Justin

I have taken the advice of so many on here and bought all new K&M stands (thanks Mike Pyle...great pricing and fast delivery), good by On-Stage. Night and Day difference. Now I'm gonna build me one of those PVC pipe on a hand truck things to store and move them, guess I coulds spray paint it black.

james puckett

Scott Moon

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »

I work for Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA about a year ago the ministry team department decided to do do a shoot out the rest of the production departments on campus were already buying K&M but they were still stuck on the cost. Well they bought one team all new K&M and one team Onstage stands. With in a couple of months the Onstage stand were starting to break needless to say the department is now buying exclusively K&M. So buy K&M you will spend less in the long run and have great mic stands!!

Dave Berry

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

A quick handy tip, relating to those age-old concerns about gear going walks during load-out - put a ring of that clear UV paint at the end of the boom arm / around the clutch, and arrange for someone you trust to have a UV flashlight at the exits...

Ran a venue for a number of years, saved me hundreds in missing hardware (and saved a fortune in reduced fees for those we caught trying!)

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »

Any one have a cheap reliable option?  I refuse to buy another dozen of the garbage On-Stage model.  Seems like every part breaks or strips in 2 months.  I usually try and track down a bunch used, but the markets seems a little dry right now and I need them quick.  I was looking at the Quik Lok A-300.  Anybody have an experience with them or a good recommendation?  I'm trying to pick up 6-7 of them and keep my budget down around $200.

Thanks!
Justin
Has anyone ever tried one of these?  They look pretty cool.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/standformer.php

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

Has anyone ever tried one of these?  They look pretty cool.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/standformer.php

More lightweight stuff.  And you can't repair them with off-the-shelf parts from the hardware store like you can with the heavier-duty K&M stuff.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »

More lightweight stuff.  And you can't repair them with off-the-shelf parts from the hardware store like you can with the heavier-duty K&M stuff.
The simple fact is that, in the not-very-long run, the K&M stands are MUCH cheaper to own than any of the alternatives.  Add in the fact that they're built like tanks (and are repairable), and I can't imagine even THINKING of buying anything else.  K&M tripods and boom, and Atlas round-based stands - end of discussion.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ross Macafee

• Noise Gate Audio
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »

I have a DR Pro. Just got a Tama. The Tama is considerably more seriously constructed. It's heavy.

On the other hand, I just did a run of shows where the provider brought grey K&M Starlines. I'm in love.

Its important to note the Tama stands (at least the ones I have) have that stupid small british sized screw for the clips.  They adapters don't seem to stick well on the stand so they're always coming off & getting stuck in the clips.  Sounds like a minor grip, but the frustration definitely builds show after show...

That being said, I agree with nearly everyone on here so far. Go K&M / DR or go home!

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

Its important to note the Tama stands (at least the ones I have) have that stupid small british sized screw for the clips.  They adapters don't seem to stick well on the stand so they're always coming off & getting stuck in the clips.  Sounds like a minor grip, but the frustration definitely builds show after show...

That being said, I agree with nearly everyone on here so far. Go K&M / DR or go home!

Hi Ross,

Loctite 263.  They're not kidding when they say "permanent".  Two drops and you'll never have that problem again.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91458A610

Just don't let it get on the 5/8-27 clip thread unless you have a totally indestructible clip!

Paul Stallion

• EventProductionServices.co
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

I'm not understanding why people are putting K&M above DR stands.  I use both regularly and I would say there's no way K&M could stand up to DR in parts, quality, and design.  In fact, aside from losing a couple small tightening screws, I've had ZERO failure of my DR stands in regular to heavy use since 2005 with my event services company.  For some of our staffed venues we have house K&M stands which feel lighter but solid, yet some have started to fall apart after about a year of regular use.  There is a flaw in the design to the basic K&M tall boom at the threaded section which attaches the boom arm, it can loosen up and wear out to the point it spins or falls out completely. And I'm talking the $80 K&M booms - pretty straight ahead (at Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM21020BK/)

You are best off with DR in that price range, unless there's some company I don't know about that offers something comparable.  Also, I concur with Ross about the Tama mic stands.  Fairly decent quality but a huge flaw in mic clip thread size.  You constantly need to have adaptors, it's a pain.

Paul

Thanks!
Justin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:29:20 PM by Paul Stallion »
Paul Childs
Co-Founder, Chief Engineer

Event Production Services, LLC
http://www.eventproductionservices.co/
[email protected]
303-455-3900 mobile

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.