ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Messager/Audio Repeater  (Read 8209 times)

Scott Hibbard

MP3 Messager/Audio Repeater
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »

Guys...any recommendations on a message/audio repeater?  Ideally supporting MP3 playback via USB stick (balanced or unbalanced out is fine).  Requirement:  Playback a single MP3 file every 1 hour.  The unit does not necessarily need to record - that I can do from a computer. 

I came across a few but ranging from $ 700 to $ 2,000 - overkill for my needs here and thought you might have some suggestions. 

Thanks!
ScottH

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: MP3 Messager/Audio Repeater
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »

Guys...any recommendations on a message/audio repeater?  Ideally supporting MP3 playback via USB stick (balanced or unbalanced out is fine).  Requirement:  Playback a single MP3 file every 1 hour.  The unit does not necessarily need to record - that I can do from a computer. 

I came across a few but ranging from $ 700 to $ 2,000 - overkill for my needs here and thought you might have some suggestions. 

Thanks!
ScottH

Could you simply make a 60 minute mp3 that contained 59 minutes of silence and then the clip you need to play.  Load into a basic MP3 player, set the track to loop, and you're done.  Just a thought....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Rick Earl

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »

Thanks!
ScottH

This does WAVE files, not MP-3, I have some in installs that are 8 years old and still going strong.

http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_CFSound.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/CFSound_II_Main.htm

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »

Thanks!
ScottH

This one doesn't support USB stick (input is unbal mono RCA), but is does play a message back on schedule or on contact closure. And you can run BGM through it, which will ramp down when the message goes off. Dealer price is about $235. http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=654
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »

McKenzie Labs  http://www.macklabs.com/products.html would be my go to, but I their probably in the price range you're trying to avoid.
This space for rent

David Buckley

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:18:32 AM »

Gilderfluke SD-10.  Use the 59 minutes of silence as suggested below,  and set up to loop playback the one 60 minute track.

Or ask Gilderfluke to mod it to play a track once an hour; the may well already have done something very similar for anther customer.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »

Thanks!
ScottH

All thanks for the suggestions.  Ironically I did consider one min audio and then the 59 of silence, but seeing the store owner will be recording a new message several times per week, it would be very inconvenient for them to wait while 59 mins of silence is 'recorded' before the file is complete.  For budget considerations, i'll have a look at the rdnet and ACS units. 

I may also consider using the scheduler on a Windows PC to do the same, but since the only PC in this venue is also a cash register, i would have to disable all of the system sounds to prevent them from going into the PA system.  Have to see if owner is ok with this. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »

Ironically I did consider one min audio and then the 59 of silence, but seeing the store owner will be recording a new message several times per week, it would be very inconvenient for them to wait while 59 mins of silence is 'recorded' before the file is complete.

Why would you wait an hour for the file to be complete? Record into a DAW, there are free ones that will do the job, and just drag the end out to an hour. Burn it to a CD and set it to repeat.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »

Why would you wait an hour for the file to be complete? Record into a DAW, there are free ones that will do the job, and just drag the end out to an hour. Burn it to a CD and set it to repeat.

Mac

Audacity comes to mind for the DAW.  It'd run just fine on that cash register computer. 
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Wei Lu

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »

All thanks for the suggestions.  Ironically I did consider one min audio and then the 59 of silence, but seeing the store owner will be recording a new message several times per week, it would be very inconvenient for them to wait while 59 mins of silence is 'recorded' before the file is complete.  For budget considerations, i'll have a look at the rdnet and ACS units. 

I may also consider using the scheduler on a Windows PC to do the same, but since the only PC in this venue is also a cash register, i would have to disable all of the system sounds to prevent them from going into the PA system.  Have to see if owner is ok with this.

There are message repeaters out there with built-in timer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:13:20 PM by Wei Lu »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.