ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the advantages?  (Read 5342 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: What are the advantages?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »

One speaker or one speaker system?

One speaker.

It may be me misinterpreting what I'm reading but it sounded like, based on what Tom said, having a tightly packed mono cluster will result in more comb filtering than spreading the cluster out.

That tool I linked seems to indicate that a mono point source speaker system has a lot of benefits, but if that "system" is a tightly packed "cluster" of speakers, then it seems to contradict what Tom said (again, this could be my misinterpretation) about spreading the speakers within the cluster. So I was wondering if, based on what Tom said, the only time you gain the benefits of a mono point source system as described by that tool only applied if you had a single speaker.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:48 pm »

One speaker.

It may be me misinterpreting what I'm reading but it sounded like, based on what Tom said, having a tightly packed mono cluster will result in more comb filtering than spreading the cluster out.

That tool I linked seems to indicate that a mono point source speaker system has a lot of benefits, but if that "system" is a tightly packed "cluster" of speakers, then it seems to contradict what Tom said (again, this could be my misinterpretation) about spreading the speakers within the cluster. So I was wondering if, based on what Tom said, the only time you gain the benefits of a mono point source system as described by that tool only applied if you had a single speaker.

Be careful about thinking too much in terms of black and white.

Any arrangement of loudspeakers is going to comb to some degree. The difference between a tight-packed center cluster and an exploded cluster is how and/or how much they interefere with one another and how the resulting combfiltering is perceived (heard), how it impacts other performance aspects of the system, etc.

Architectural (visual) concerns often dictate that one method is acceptable where another is not. We don't always get to call the shots.

That being said, I still maintain that an exploded cluster is preferable over a center cluster.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »

Be careful about thinking too much in terms of black and white.

Any arrangement of loudspeakers is going to comb to some degree. The difference between a tight-packed center cluster and an exploded cluster is how and/or how much they interefere with one another and how the resulting combfiltering is perceived (heard), how it impacts other performance aspects of the system, etc.

Architectural (visual) concerns often dictate that one method is acceptable where another is not. We don't always get to call the shots.

That being said, I still maintain that an exploded cluster is preferable over a center cluster.

Yeah I figured it probably couldn't be that black and white. I assume the make and model of speaker will also affect this, right?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.