ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES on the Soundcraft Expression  (Read 2819 times)

Steven Welwood

AES on the Soundcraft Expression
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »

The band I run sound for is looking at replacing our GB8 and FOH rack with a Soundcraft Expression for portability and quicker setup time. I have some experience with digital consoles, but I've never used an AES signal.

If I want to get analogue noise out of the AES outputs on the stagebox, does SC offer anything to do that, or do I need to buy a couple of these things: http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equipment/Video-Processors/Digital-to-Analog-Conversion/GeFei-International-Co/MIO-DA-AUD.xhtml

This doesn't seem like a very elegant solution. Are there better options? (Please say yes!)

(Edit: How do I get my attachment (below) up into the body of the post?)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:49:49 PM by Steven Welwood »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: AES on the Soundcraft Expression
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:38 AM »

So, why do you need analogue out of the AES outs?  Is it because the 8 outs from the Compact stagebox isn't enough for your needs?

Steven Welwood

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

So, why do you need analogue out of the AES outs?  Is it because the 8 outs from the Compact stagebox isn't enough for your needs?

That's correct. Stereo IEM's eat up outputs pretty fast.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

Are your IEMs wireless?  If so, is the mix position near enough that you can simply feed the transmitters from the desk's outputs?

If not, then I'd be tempted to look at another solution.  Maybe the A&H GLD.  One 2412 stagebox gives you 24 ins & 12 outs, and is arguably a way nicer overall package, albeit pricier.  Or go down to the X32 with a pair of S16 stageboxes, giving you a total of 16 outs.

It's a shame the Compact box doesn't give the option of 8 analogue & 8 AES/EBU outs *or* 16 analogue outs.  Looks like it's built to be modular.  And I can't imagine many people wanting 8 digital outs on their stagebox over analogue...

Steven Welwood

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »

Are your IEMs wireless?  If so, is the mix position near enough that you can simply feed the transmitters from the desk's outputs?

Yes, and yes. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that!  :-[  Actually as I think about it, I do know why: we were going to rack all the transmitters with the stagebox to reduce the number of pieces we had to pack around, so I was stuck on getting all the outputs from that location. But of course we don't *have* to do that.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious solution that I had overlooked!    ;D

It's a shame the Compact box doesn't give the option of 8 analogue & 8 AES/EBU outs *or* 16 analogue outs.  Looks like it's built to be modular.  And I can't imagine many people wanting 8 digital outs on their stagebox over analogue...

Fully agree.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.