ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-track recording with Soundcraft Si Compact/Expression?  (Read 44010 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Multi-track recording with Soundcraft Si Compact/Expression?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »

I only meant that I assume the FireWire card would be cheaper! Not that price is a downside to Dante overall. I should have been more clear.

Why do you assume that? Have you seen pricing information on either? The MADI card, Dante card, and Firewire card should all be capable of high channel counts, but I seen no evidence that any one of them will be significantly higher or lower in price than the others. The Madi card is available now, but requires a MADI interface for the computer. If the computer is already equipped with a FW port there is only the cost of the interface card, but if not there is another interface to buy. The Dante card only requires a GB Ethernet port. Most newer computers come with one. If the computer only has a 100BT port Dante may work, but will be limited to 48x48 channels.

Mac

Asaph Ace

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »

I only meant that I assume the FireWire card would be cheaper! Not that price is a downside to Dante overall. I should have been more clear.

cool, but you guys havent answered my question yet... do you mean that the dante connects to any ethernet port used to connect you internet for any PC right?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Multi-track recording with Soundcraft Si Compact/Expression?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »

cool, but you guys havent answered my question yet... do you mean that the dante connects to any ethernet port used to connect you internet for any PC right?

Yes.

This was suggested to me by someone seemingly in the know. Don't be me wrong - I suggest Dante. Tons more options than FireWire. Madly expanding field of products.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »

Yes. A Dante port on your console would connect to a GB Ethernet port on your computer via CAT5 cable. The Dante Virtual Sound Card runs on your computer as your audio interface. It provides a 64 in, 64 out audio interface. Most consoles will require an interface card to provide the Dante interface. The Yamaha CL series are Dante based, so have the interface built in. Soundcraft/Studer have a Dante card that fits the D21 rack and some of their consoles. The Si takes a different card format, but there should be a Dante card available for the Si, if not now, soon.

Mac

Asaph Ace

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »

Yes. A Dante port on your console would connect to a GB Ethernet port on your computer via CAT5 cable. The Dante Virtual Sound Card runs on your computer as your audio interface. It provides a 64 in, 64 out audio interface. Most consoles will require an interface card to provide the Dante interface. The Yamaha CL series are Dante based, so have the interface built in. Soundcraft/Studer have a Dante card that fits the D21 rack and some of their consoles. The Si takes a different card format, but there should be a Dante card available for the Si, if not now, soon.

Mac

I'm not sure but from what i've heard, its coming around within the month of june hopefully! Soundcraft is releasing their FireWire and the dante card, etc. that is why i am pretty much confused right. About the dante, i would personally like to have but i cant find youtube tutorials to help me out set it out whereas the FireWire, its everywhere -- and besides our church PC already has a firewire input. For now, i'll pretty much conduct a research and find out whats suits our needs. I'll definitely consider your suggestions, it'd be great if you guys help me out with this too :)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »

I'm sure your church PC has Ethernet as well.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

I'm not sure but from what i've heard, its coming around within the month of june hopefully! Soundcraft is releasing their FireWire and the dante card, etc. that is why i am pretty much confused right. About the dante, i would personally like to have but i cant find youtube tutorials to help me out set it out whereas the FireWire, its everywhere -- and besides our church PC already has a firewire input. For now, i'll pretty much conduct a research and find out whats suits our needs. I'll definitely consider your suggestions, it'd be great if you guys help me out with this too :)

A couple of observations...

Fewer and fewer laptops seem to come with FireWire. Your next one may not.
FireWire cables are seriously length restricted.
Pretty much all current laptops come with gigabit Ethernet.
Ethernet cables can be had at moderate cost in many lengths.

I chose Dante over USB or FireWire because it is easy for me to plug a 25' cable in and locate the PC on a convenient table in cases where the mix position is too crowded for safe use of the PC. Also, there were Dante cards available for my mixer.

I chose Dante over MADI because I did not need to buy an adapter to my laptop and maybe a different one for the next one. Also, the other bits of MADI networking were much more expensive than common Ethernet bits not to mention choice and local availability.

Other reasons for Dante or MADI are the ability to send any source to many destinations. So, you could send direct outs to the recorder, another mixer, an analyzer, a backup recorder ... All with little extra cost.

That's my $0.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:14 AM »

If I remember well an early description provided by soundcraft, the Firewire/USB card is only capable of 16x16 channels. The Dante & MADI cards are capable of much more (something like 56 or 64).

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »

If I remember well an early description provided by soundcraft, the Firewire/USB card is only capable of 16x16 channels. The Dante & MADI cards are capable of much more (something like 56 or 64).

Wow I have not heard that. That would be silly. Worse than the SC48 18 channel days...

Asaph Ace

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »

wait seriously!? i that case, i'll go for the dante then.. i just need to learn how to set it up

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.