ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-track recording with Soundcraft Si Compact/Expression?  (Read 44144 times)

Asaph Ace

So we just bought our church a new Soundcraft Si compact 32! Now we're struggling on how to record our sermons and worship band performances -- if possible. Throughout time searching for the fire wire expansion card for the board, i found out that there is a Multi-digital expansion card for it but i cannot find any dealer who sells it. While researching for any possibilities, i found it that a lot of churches record themselves and do virtual sound check through the MADI expansion card -- which i have no idea how it works. I just want to hear some Inputs and insights from you guys about this  and pretty much help me come out with a good solution.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Multi-track recording with Soundcraft Si Compact/Expression?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »

There is a to-be-released FireWire card, and a Dante networking card, and a MADI card. FireWire is obvious, Dante works by connecting straight to your computers gigabit Ethernet port, MADI requires a computer interface device such as from RME. Dante seems the easiest way to go, and you could use it to make a FOH / Monitor split with a second desk later. Go look at Dante's website. I imagine, pure speculation, that the FireWire card would be the cheapest once released, but Dante could prove useful to you later while FireWire is a one trick pony.

Asaph Ace

Re: Multi-track recording with Soundcraft Si Compact/Expression?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »

There is a to-be-released FireWire card, and a Dante networking card, and a MADI card. FireWire is obvious, Dante works by connecting straight to your computers gigabit Ethernet port, MADI requires a computer interface device such as from RME. Dante seems the easiest way to go, and you could use it to make a FOH / Monitor split with a second desk later. Go look at Dante's website. I imagine, pure speculation, that the FireWire card would be the cheapest once released, but Dante could prove useful to you later while FireWire is a one trick pony.

that sounds cool, can you give me Dante's website? coz i cant seem to find it... Does the Dante connectivity to the PC allows you to record and play multi-tracks?  I dont really get what you meant by the MADI and the Dante. About the release, i heard its coming up around late june

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »

that sounds cool, can you give me Dante's website? coz i cant seem to find it... Does the Dante connectivity to the PC allows you to record and play multi-tracks?  I dont really get what you meant by the MADI and the Dante. About the release, i heard its coming up around late june

Dante is a protocol developed by a company called Audinate, their website is at
www.audinate.com.

On the PC side you will need a Gigabit ethernet card and the "virtual soundcard" software from Audinate. This normally costs about $150 per license but you may get a free license when you buy the Dante card for the console. You'll also need some sort of DAW (digital audio workstation) software to do the recording and/or playback--lots of options out there for that and I'm not about to be drawn into THAT religious debate.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Asaph Ace

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »

Dante is a protocol developed by a company called Audinate, their website is at
www.audinate.com.

On the PC side you will need a Gigabit ethernet card and the "virtual soundcard" software from Audinate. This normally costs about $150 per license but you may get a free license when you buy the Dante card for the console. You'll also need some sort of DAW (digital audio workstation) software to do the recording and/or playback--lots of options out there for that and I'm not about to be drawn into THAT religious debate.

i was watching some youtube videos about it, pretty awesome too but i am really not familiar on how it works like the connectivity and how to set i up. Does the Firewire connectivity allows virtual sound track too?

Jared Koopman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »

i was watching some youtube videos about it, pretty awesome too but i am really not familiar on how it works like the connectivity and how to set i up. Does the Firewire connectivity allows virtual sound track too?

Firewire is simply the connection method. If your console has that ability then yes, you could do virtual soundcheck via firewire.

As mentioned before, the Dante card is probably your best "future proof" option at this point. It allows you to use off the shelf network gear. Plug in a laptop/desktop via network and you have I think up to 64 bi-directional recording/playback.

My console has both firewire and usb built into it so we just use that and it works just fine.

We use Reaper as our DAW of choice but there are several options out there.

Asaph Ace

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »

Firewire is simply the connection method. If your console has that ability then yes, you could do virtual soundcheck via firewire.

As mentioned before, the Dante card is probably your best "future proof" option at this point. It allows you to use off the shelf network gear. Plug in a laptop/desktop via network and you have I think up to 64 bi-directional recording/playback.

My console has both firewire and usb built into it so we just use that and it works just fine.

We use Reaper as our DAW of choice but there are several options out there.

do you mean the port where you plug you ethernet cable for you PC/laptop?? dang! dante ports` awesome but i believe you need to map them right to make it work?

for your own opinion, which connectivity is best, reliable, and cheaper?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

Dante is going to be highly future ready, and let you send audio to a variety of locations at the same time such as multiple computers for backup recording or a redundant link to a single computer, certain power amplifiers and other consoles. It's tested, and reliable. FireWire card, whenever released, will be simple a bit but FireWire is on the way out, you can only connect one device, and it won't be good for connecting to anything else.

In my opinion, the only downside to Dante is the price.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:37:10 PM by Samuel Rees »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »

In my opinion, the only downside to Dante is the price.

How much more expensive than an alternative 64x64 interface is Dante? For every piece of Dante hardware you buy you get a free license for Dante VSC, that makes the virtual sound card as cheap as it gets. If you need to split in many ways you just need a GB switch. If you are only running Dante on the network it doesn't need to be a managed switch.

Mac

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

I only meant that I assume the FireWire card would be cheaper! Not that price is a downside to Dante overall. I should have been more clear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.