ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose Room Match Speaker Systems??  (Read 18054 times)

Dan MacLerran

Bose Room Match Speaker Systems??
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »

Our College Administrators want to put the Bose Room Match Speakers Arrays (and Amps) in our 930 Seat Auditorium.  (RM8500N Amps -- Speakers --
 RM055 X 05 , RM 070 X05, RM 090 X 10, RM 090 X 20 -- Subs RMS 215 -- Monitors 620M)

I am not familiar at all with the Bose Systems.  Does anyone have any comments or experience with the Bose Room Match System?  How do they compare with Crown and JBL??

Thanks in Advance.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:15:14 PM by danmac »

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Bose Room Match Speaker Systems??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »

Our College Administrators want to put the Bose Room Match Speakers Arrays (and Amps) in our 930 Seat Auditorium.  (RM8500N Amps -- Speakers --
 RM055 X 05 , RM 070 X05, RM 090 X 10, RM 090 X 20 -- Subs RMS 215 -- Monitors 620M)

I am not familiar at all with the Bose Systems.  Does anyone have any comments or experience with the Bose Room Match System?  How do they compare with Crown and JBL??

Thanks in Advance.

Never heard it but it appears to be a dual-10 line array box with some kind of summed 6-compression-driver mid/high element.  They have different horizontal coverages and vertical coverages but all the same shape -hence the different model numbers
-and you assemble the elements to "match the room" of course. :)

The sub is a dual-15 box (quite a departure for bose as they've always loved their 4" and 5" drivers)

The monitor is just the panaray 620M with it's 2 4" drivers and a bunch of 2" tiny-cones.  They destroy quite easily.  Barely OK for speech monitoring in a corporate or HOW application.

I'm generally a Bose skeptic and have found that it usually "works" but generally doesn't go loud enough -and overall you can usually do better for probably less money.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »

The RoomMatch system is quite different from most other Bose products not only in the product itself but also in support and application.

Just curious, but since you say this is what your Administrators propose, what is your role?  I ask because hopfully someone has defined some expectations for how the system will work and what it will be able to do such that the focus should possibly be on how the expected system performance meets those needs rather than just the brand names or products.  The system proposed could be totally inappropriate or the result of detailed design, there is no way to know or comment from just the equipment list, especially without knowing anythying about the goals for the system, the venue, the overall system concept proposed, what thought and design effort is behind what is proposed, the predicted performance of the system, the related installation and tuning of the system and so on.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »

The RoomMatch system is quite different from most other Bose products not only in the product itself but also in support and application.

Just curious, but since you say this is what your Administrators propose, what is your role?  I ask because hopfully someone has defined some expectations for how the system will work and what it will be able to do such that the focus should possibly be on how the expected system performance meets those needs rather than just the brand names or products.  The system proposed could be totally inappropriate or the result of detailed design, there is no way to know or comment from just the equipment list, especially without knowing anythying about the goals for the system, the venue, the overall system concept proposed, what thought and design effort is behind what is proposed, the predicted performance of the system, the related installation and tuning of the system and so on.
WHAT?????????????????

You mean you can't just put any speaker in any room and it will work for whatever they want it to?

OH the horror.]

Just like with cars- there are better and worse for different applications-depending on the application and the expectations. # of passengers-kind of load carried-mileage needed-comfort needed etc.

Without knowing the application and expectations-there is no way to say whether or not a particular product will work or not.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:20:57 AM »

The way Bose worked it out is that THEY design every system when its sold, and are working with specific installers. I have heard the boxes twice, they sound better than you would expect from Bose, but they do not sound any better than any other "install" box. They are also nearing the price of "big boy" systems. Personally I would look elsewhere if you want this PA to do anything more than speech and light music. If you have any sort of riders to meet you can throw this out the window.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »

The way Bose worked it out is that THEY design every system when its sold, and are working with specific installers. I have heard the boxes twice, they sound better than you would expect from Bose, but they do not sound any better than any other "install" box. They are also nearing the price of "big boy" systems. Personally I would look elsewhere if you want this PA to do anything more than speech and light music. If you have any sort of riders to meet you can throw this out the window.
Perhaps it relates to Consultant projects, but I know the first part of that is not true as when I mentioned considering RoomMatch for a project Bose offered any assistance I wanted but also gave me a full copy of Modeler so I could look at it myself.  There was also nothing said about it being limited to only certain installers.  I did not end up using RoomMatch due to the output issues noted for what was a pretty large space but the variable pattern boxes, which is the real differentiator from most other products, can be advantageous in some applications, for example to create a more rectangular coverage from single center array.  The Renkus-Heinz Varia is a variation on the same concept.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »

The room match system is a surprising product from Bose. Like others have said, it sounds pretty good, but the price puts it in a league with L'Acoustics, Vertec, and D&B. So you could have one of those...

Also, for a dual 10" the physical size of the thing is Huuuuge. The cabinet has a lot of (what seems like) wasted space in front of the drivers, but behind the grill. These things are literally the size of most dual 15 cabinets.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »

It's the least bad of any Bose product, but still "no highs, no lows", and way overpriced.  For install its on par price-wise with a Danley/Powersoft system.  We just won a project where we proposed Danley/Powersoft, plenty of sub power, better HF extension, for close price to another company proposing Room Match. 

It's like a good EV EVA system with DX46 DSP (roughly) but higher price.  We weren't wowed by it.  Plus, as a company, it's dangerous to be in the "but it (insert Bose/Peavey/Behringer/etc) really isn't all that bad" position. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »

but they do not sound any better than any other "install" box. .
So are you saying that all "install" boxes sound the same?

How does the sound of an "install" box differ from "other boxes"?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »

So are you saying that all "install" boxes sound the same?

How does the sound of an "install" box differ from "other boxes"?

Because it has no handles and is painted white it must not be that good!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.