ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: £700 system descision  (Read 4410 times)

David Reece

£700 system descision
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »

i am a solo singer and i use backing tracks and do a bit of disco, i currently use a yamaha stagepass 500 watt pa and a thomann 250 watt sub as i needed something compact to fit in a car boot, i am thinking of upgrading but for various reasons i only have £700  to spend so i dont need any spend more or wait and save advice :) i have come up with 2 options.

option 1. single qsc k10 with my sub
option 2. pair of ev zlx12p 1000w speakers with my sub

i usually play small pubs and occasional medium sized halls, any thoughts keeping in mind the money and the car boot would be really apreciated :)

Tony Mitchell

• Event PA Hire
Re: £700 system descision
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:19 AM »

i am a solo singer and i use backing tracks and do a bit of disco, i currently use a yamaha stagepass 500 watt pa and a thomann 250 watt sub as i needed something compact to fit in a car boot, i am thinking of upgrading but for various reasons i only have £700  to spend so i dont need any spend more or wait and save advice :) i have come up with 2 options.

option 1. single qsc k10 with my sub
option 2. pair of ev zlx12p 1000w speakers with my sub

i usually play small pubs and occasional medium sized halls, any thoughts keeping in mind the money and the car boot would be really apreciated :)

I guess a mod will move this topic to the Lounge or Basement, as it's unrelated to Pro AV.

That aside, why are you thinking of upgrading?   What are you looking for, that your current system doesn't provide?

If, as I suspect, you are looking for something louder, you'll find most products that tick the "loud" and "compact" boxes, won't tick "budget".   Likewise those that tick "compact" and "budget", won't tick "loud".   And those that tick "loud" and "budget", won't tick "compact".

David Reece

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »

sorry about wrong forum :( but yeah want a bit louder and a bit more bass but i think you will find the ev set certainly will be a lot louder and more bass than my stagepas 500 as they have 12inch speakers as opposed to 8inch, also 50hz bottom as opposed to 56hz and they are 1000w each as opposed to 250w, all the reviews i have read are rating them along with the k12 wich my friend has and that is a LOT louder and bassier than my system, and the ev's can be had for £299 each so i have to disagree with your statement, but still wondering weather one qsc will be better quality than the 2 ev's as i havent heard the ev's and live in the middle of nowhere with no way to get to listen to them, also the pubs i play in are small maybe 30ft x 30ft is about the biggest so not looking for a monster system or anything

Tony Mitchell

• Event PA Hire
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »

i think you will find the ev set certainly will be a lot louder... they are 1000w each as opposed to 250w

One will be louder than another, but not for that reason.   You can't hear watts.   Look at the sensitivity (n dB/1w/1m) rating, a higher number at the starting point is what you want.   There are plenty of inefficient boxes that need kilowatts of input power to make them come alive.   There are also boxes >10dB more efficient, which will perform with a fraction of the power that the inefficient system requires.

If you look at "maximum SPL" figures, establish if they are calculated, aspirational numbers assuming zero thermal compression and based on peak power handling sustainable for a fraction of a second.   Read any "maximum SPL" data in conjunction with the sensitivity data and continuous input power handling, to see if they are meaningful.   Some manufacturers quote the highest number they can, which is far from the reality of what you'll get out of the box for the duration of a gig.

David Reece

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »

Thanks tony not sure how to understand it all but here is a link to the stagepas specs

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/pa_systems/stagepas_500/stagepas_500/?mode=model

and here is the ev specs

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2581

i think the ev is 126, 1w, 1m  96db but i not sure how to understand the yamaha, thanks for all your help

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »

sorry about wrong forum :( but yeah want a bit louder and a bit more bass but i think you will find the ev set certainly will be a lot louder and more bass than my stagepas 500 as they have 12inch speakers as opposed to 8inch, also 50hz bottom as opposed to 56hz and they are 1000w each as opposed to 250w...
What do you mean by a "bit louder"?  Any louder, 50% louder, twice as loud?  And if you plan on using your existing subwoofer, which is a currently unknown model, then is the low frequency response of the mains a relevant factor to the overall bass of your system?

Before spending anything on new mains you might want to make sure that not only whatever you do can be expected to provide an acceptable result but also that the current limiting factor is your main speakers and not actually your sub or perhaps even simply the current system setup or configuration.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.