ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx RTA-M mics and hot weather  (Read 4216 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
dbx RTA-M mics and hot weather
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »

Is it safe to use the dbx RTA-M mics for system tuning outside during hot heather? I'm talking about 100+ degree heat and high humidity and in direct sunlight.

I have read that these mics have a plastic diaphragm and may be susceptible to stretching or melting during high temp situations.

I seem to be getting calls to tune systems for outdoor spaces lately and would rather not take my borrowed Earthworks M30s into those situations.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: dbx RTA-M mics and hot weather
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »

Is it safe to use the dbx RTA-M mics for system tuning outside during hot heather? I'm talking about 100+ degree heat and high humidity and in direct sunlight.

I have read that these mics have a plastic diaphragm and may be susceptible to stretching or melting during high temp situations.

I seem to be getting calls to tune systems for outdoor spaces lately and would rather not take my borrowed Earthworks M30s into those situations.
You are correct the diaphragm getting damaged.  Heck just throw it in a plastic bag and put it in  your car for an afternoon.

Just don't leave it outside/exposed very long.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The response about throwing it in a plastic bag IS NOT TO BE DONE!!!!!!!!

It WILL damage the mic.

What I meant by that is, you don't have to have it in direct sunlight for it to be damaged by the heat.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:12:31 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

HI Ivan, thanks for the response. But I'm a little confused by your response.

You say to throw it in a plastic bag and put it in my car. But then you say not to leave it outside for very long. Inside my car will heat up much more than being outside during the summer.

And how long do you think it would be safe to use them in direct sunlight outside during the summer? 15 minutes? 2 Hours?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »

You say to throw it in a plastic bag and put it in my car. But then you say not to leave it outside for very long. Inside my car will heat up much more than being outside during the summer.

And how long do you think it would be safe to use them in direct sunlight outside during the summer? 15 minutes? 2 Hours?

If you head over to Testmic.com  you will find this quote

"Most microphones sold for measurement use in the under $1500 price range have plastic diaphragms. The combination of the diaphragm materials and the construction techniques used result in sensitivity to temperature extremes. Worse, a single exposure to high temperatures such as found in a car in summer, can result in significant permanent changes in response. Some manufacturers attempt to minimize these effects by "pre-aging" the microphone capsules before final assembly and calibration, but this does not remove the inherent instability of these capsules."
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »

Maybe I should have been clearer.  I will change my comment.

I meant it sarcastically.  DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES do what I what I said.

The mic will be damaged.

I am not even going to make a guess about long is to long.  It can vary on a number of conditions, temp-direct sunlight-windspeed etc.

But 2 hours would be a VERY LONG time.

A windscreen could help reduce the direct sunlight on the end of the mic. 

But it will also affect the freq response.

You could measure that effect inside, and just compensate for it in the measurement.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:05:42 PM »

So what mics are you guys using for system tuning and measurement for outdoor systems during the summer?

I can't afford a $1,500 metal diaphragm mic (much less a pair of them). Nor do I want to buy a new set of mics for every time I have to do an outdoor system.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:08:12 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »

I use TM1s and Josephson C550s and test against a known good mic every 6 months or so. You can create a microphone correction curve in Smaart if the drift isn't horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.