ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Most accurate db app?  (Read 22964 times)

Greg Bartusch

Most accurate db app?
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »

I have a iPhone and a iPad. What  decibel meter app would you say is the most accurate? I've got 4 different db apps on my iPad and I'm not sure which one to go by. They all read differently.

Rob Burgess

• Montreal, QC, Canada
Re: Most accurate db app?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »

I have a iPhone and a iPad. What  decibel meter app would you say is the most accurate? I've got 4 different db apps on my iPad and I'm not sure which one to go by. They all read differently.

I have the Sound Tools app on my phone and discovered last week at a show that it's ~5dbC off.  But you can go into settings and adjust it.  If you have access to a reasonably accurate meter it's pretty easy to fix.

--
Rob
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:57:43 AM »

That should your indication to buy a stand-alone meter.

Frankly, screw the iphone, the Androids, etc.  The microphones in them have various frequency response and dynamics-altering circuitry and algorithms that are not 100% defeatable for measurement purposes.

Your $600 phone is an entertainment delivery device and does a fairly good job of such.  That it can be kludged into performing other tasks is useful only if you can accept whatever limitations the kluge requires.

Be a hero, spend $80 on a meter.  Or be a real hero and spend as much money on tools for your profession as you did for your entertainment & communication.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

Be a hero, spend $80 on a meter.  Or be a real hero and spend as much money on tools for your profession as you did for your entertainment & communication.

I have a decade old Radio Shack analog meter.  Anyone have an idea as to how accurate they are?
Mark McFarlane

Randy Culpepper

Most accurate db app?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »

There's a device called a check mate cm-c200 that sends out a 1k tone at 94db and 114 db. It allows you to calibrate an spl meter to have a true reflection of what's happening as far as spl in a room.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

I have a decade old Radio Shack analog meter.  Anyone have an idea as to how accurate they are?

I have the old analog style RS meter.  I have checked it over the years with calibrated systems and it has always been "off" by less than 1 dB. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »

I have the old analog style RS meter.  I have checked it over the years with calibrated systems and it has always been "off" by less than 1 dB.

Yup.  Been using mine for about 20 years. Check it periodically and it's always within 1 dB + or -  .
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »

A man with one meter knows his levels, a man with two meters never knows. :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »

There's a device called a check mate cm-c200 that sends out a 1k tone at 94db and 114 db. It allows you to calibrate an spl meter to have a true reflection of what's happening as far as spl in a room.

I have this piece, it's a calibrator which fits over a measurement microphone.  You can't use it to calibrate anything else.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »

Thanks Doug and Brian.  Does anyone think that an iPad app could be repeatable, within a given db range, calibrated to another know source?  Anyone done a series of side-by-side tests?
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.