ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2" titanium vs. 3" neodymium horn driver  (Read 7669 times)

Ralph Brooks

2" titanium vs. 3" neodymium horn driver
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:38:43 pm »

As the subject says.  Looking at different EV options;  One of the more portable options offers a 3" ND driver instead of a 2" titanium.

Any preference for a professional setup, and if so, why?

Art Welter

Re: 2" titanium vs. 3" neodymium horn driver
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »

As the subject says.  Looking at different EV options;  One of the more portable options offers a 3" ND driver instead of a 2" titanium.

Ralph,

ND is neodymium, a type of magnet. Speaker magnets are most commonly ceramic, which is much less costly but heavier and larger than neodymium for the same magnetic strength.

Most EV diaphragms are now made of titanium, a 3" diaphragm has much more surface area than a 2", and can play louder and lower with less distortion than a 2" diaphragm.

Art

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
2" titanium vs. 3" neodymium horn driver
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:50 pm »

Ralph,

ND is neodymium, a type of magnet. Speaker magnets are most commonly ceramic, which is much less costly but heavier and larger than neodymium for the same magnetic strength.

Most EV diaphragms are now made of titanium, a 3" diaphragm has much more surface area than a 2", and can play louder and lower with less distortion than a 2" diaphragm.

Art

I am curious.

Are these the diaphragm sizes or the voice coil sizes. I see mixed results when I look at speaker cabinet specs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:32:14 pm »

You could be talking about the same driver-a 2" exit with a 3" diaphragm.

You usually don't see a 3" diaphragm on a 1" exit and you don't see a 2" diaphragm on a 1.4 or 2" exit.

There needs to be a bit more clarification to the question.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »

You could be talking about the same driver-a 2" exit with a 3" diaphragm.

You usually don't see a 3" diaphragm on a 1" exit and you don't see a 2" diaphragm on a 1.4 or 2" exit.

There needs to be a bit more clarification to the question.
Without a cabinet number, who knows what drivers Ralph wants to compare.

EV does (or did) make the DH2 with a 2" titanium diaphragm and a 2" exit as a lower cost/output driver that could be bolted directly to most 2" horns.

The DH2MT was the same thread on driver, less the thread on to 2" exit snout built on to the DH2.

The snout had a clean appearance and made the driver "look big"  compared to "plumbing" a thread to bolt adapter bolted to a 1" to 2" adapter.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:38 pm »

I'll just add that there's usually a trade-off of diaphragm size + throat exit size vs high and low extension of HF horns. Generally speaking, typical 3-4" diaphragm compression drivers with 2" exits don't usually have the high frequency extension of say a 2" diaphragm comp driver with a 1" exit. With modern designs and newer technology diaphragms, some larger format comp drivers have much better HF extension than they used to though.

And along the same lines, a 2" diaphragm driver with a 1" exit won't extend as low as a larger format driver. And then there are the mid size compromises with say a 3" diaphragm driver with a 1.4"-1.5" exit.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:22:06 am »

all i can add is the Radian 850PB is the most bestest sounding 2" horn size driver i ever heard. it got a 3" vc.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:52:14 am »

The DH2MT was the same thread on driver, less the thread on to 2" exit snout built on to the DH2.

The snout had a clean appearance and made the driver "look big"  compared to "plumbing" a thread to bolt adapter bolted to a 1" to 2" adapter.
I remember that adapter.  Very well made and designed.  And it offered a gradual transistion to the 2".  Much better than a normal "plumbing" adapter.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ralph Brooks

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:01:52 am »

EV needs to clarify their marketing then!  Ha.

One speaker touts the 2" titanium, the other mentions 3" ND.

I guess I'm talking apples and oranges then.  What is the main parameter that influences, say, SPL in a large room?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:08:28 am »

EV needs to clarify their marketing then!  Ha.

One speaker touts the 2" titanium, the other mentions 3" ND.

No information included with speaker specifications is clear.  Try looking at the Wattage and Decibel output spec of (almost) any speaker.  It's never clear because such parameters can't be distilled to a single number.

Saying one speaker has a 2" titanium and another a 3" Neo is a bit like saying one car has a V6 and the other is diesel.  It is apples to oranges. 

I do agree that it would be more helpful if the manufacturers specified whether they were referring to diaphragm size or throat size for HF drivers.

Peter Morris

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:55:50 am »

In general, when EV talks about the size of their compression driver they are listing the diameter of the voice coil i.e. 1.25 inch (eg DH3), 2 inch (eg ND2), 3 inch (eg DH7) etc.

Titanium is what diaphragm is made of most EV drivers use titanium.

ND means the magnet is made of neodymium (light weight) instead of ceramic (heavy)

If the speaker is a 2 way 12 or 15 + horn . In GENERAL the 3 inch will probably be better, and cost more. The ND versions will weigh less.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:00:47 am by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:55:50 am »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.