ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?  (Read 25228 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »

I use all Atlas round base stands.  I have some that are older than I am that still function just fine. I use their telescoping boom with counterweight, and it works very well.  The only issues I've run into is that occasionally, a counterweight will come loose and need to be tightened, or the pressed on ends on the tightening handle fell off and had to be re-crimped.

Of course, I have one that's bad because some idiot didn't understand the concept of cross threading and destroyed the threads. But other than that, rock solid.
Brian Jojade

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »

I use all Atlas round base stands.  I have some that are older than I am that still function just fine. I use their telescoping boom with counterweight, and it works very well.  The only issues I've run into is that occasionally, a counterweight will come loose and need to be tightened, or the pressed on ends on the tightening handle fell off and had to be re-crimped.

Of course, I have one that's bad because some idiot didn't understand the concept of cross threading and destroyed the threads. But other than that, rock solid.

Atlas stands are built to LAST.  at the sound co. where i cut my teeth 20 years ago the mic stand case required that all mic stands be broken down to their component parts.  so it was bases in one compartment, poles in another, and booms [mostly K&M as i recall] in another.  And us kids pretty much just threw them in there when we broke them down.  This company worked CONSTANTLY so those stands got rode hard and put away wet 24/7/365.   If i were to go to their shop today i have no doubt i would find the same stands i broke down a few thousand times still working hard.

Buy Once, Cry Once indeed....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Re: Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »

In my opinion the best brands are:

1. K&M
2. K&M
3. K&M

In my experience there is NO substitute worth anything at all.
No affiliation.
+1
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »

While were all just standing around here, does anyone have a really good method for packing Atlas stands without removing the base?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Earl F Young

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »

not for -BIG- iron, but MS12 and such- not cheap at $30/each (sweetWater): http://www.atlassound.com/Product/1527/1526/MICSTANDS/MICSTANDS-ACCESSORIES/QUICKMOUNT/QR-2

otherwise, I like the stacking version (6 in 1 footprint) http://www.atlassound.com/Product/1994/1993/MICSTANDS/MICROPHONE/STACKING/SMS5B

While were all just standing around here, does anyone have a really good method for packing Atlas stands without removing the base?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:30:26 PM by Earl F Young »

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 10:28:36 PM »

First, another +1 for K&M, used them for 25 years and wouldn't buy anything else.

Second, @ Corey, very nice photos.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

not for -BIG- iron, but MS12 and such- not cheap at $30/each (sweetWater): http://www.atlassound.com/Product/1527/1526/MICSTANDS/MICSTANDS-ACCESSORIES/QUICKMOUNT/QR-2

Where these things when I was a kid?  I'd have at least a year of my life back....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Earl F Young

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »

my stands all have the quick-release for interchangability of mic/boom/stands: no more threading for me. I also like the Ultimate MC05 because of the large thread; quite strong without spinning the base on/ off for days to break them down. Cheaper than the add-on upright-base Atlas aftermarket part (got a couple-- more of a hassle than worth the price i think)

my MS- 20, 25, 43's I leave assembled..

Where these things when I was a kid?  I'd have at least a year of my life back....

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

Hi Earl, I got a couple of these hoping to cut some setup/teardown time, but found that the tolerances of the mating parts left too much wobble. Great idea though, if only they fit together much more snugly.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Earl F Young

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »

YM*MV
         *Results

Hi Earl, I got a couple of these hoping to cut some setup/teardown time, but found that the tolerances of the mating parts left too much wobble. Great idea though, if only they fit together much more snugly.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.