ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?  (Read 25208 times)

Lance Richens

Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:13:28 AM »

I need to buy a dozen or so new tripod, boom stands. I want to purchase stands with the "two piece telescoping boom". I'm looking for the best bang for the buck in a solid, fairly heavy stand in the $50.00-$70.00 range.....
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »

I need to buy a dozen or so new tripod, boom stands. I want to purchase stands with the "two piece telescoping boom". I'm looking for the best bang for the buck in a solid, fairly heavy stand in the $50.00-$70.00 range.....

Here's a thread not long ago about this.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,142136.0.html

The consensus is that K&M, DR Pro, and Atlas are the only thing worth buying.

I had intended to write a review so this may be in place of a dedicated review.

I recently replaced all of my stands as you plan to do. The stands I replaced were On-Staqe MS7701's or Musicians Gear stands both of which are horrible. These failed in one of a few ways.  The main boom pivot clutch rubber pieces eventually crumble.  Once they start, it's not long before they are unusable.  The boom adjustment knob would strip out because it was only threaded into 1/8" or less of metal. 

To test, I purchased a standard K&M (210/9), a higher end On Stage (MS9701TB), and a cheaper Ultimate Jamstands line.

Here's my take on each:

K&M 210/9
-Smooth operation
-Feels solid
-Solid base
-Nice ring around each sliding section where the knob tightens.  This keeps the knob screw from eating into the boom

Ultimate Jamstands
-Feels cheap
-Didn't give this one a close look as it wasn't going to be my choice.

On-Stage MS9701TB
-Feels solid, heavy
-Heavy boom counterweight.  I haven't seen any other stands with an actual weight opposite the mic except for certain Atlas and other recording stands.
-Base sturdy but just a little less solid than the K&M
-Not as smooth of operation as the K&M (sliding boom, lowering/raising)
-The boom tightening screws have rubber pieces that contact the boom.  This makes for a good grip but I fear that these will wear out eventually.  Only time will tell.

I ended up going with the On-Stage because I like the counterweight, it feels very solid, and it's half the price of the K&M.

For someone who doesn't mind spending twice as much, I'd recommend the K&M primarily because of their reputation and I've been burned by On-Stage before.  For the more budget minded, I would absolutely recommend the On-Stage.  I have only had mine for a few weeks so I cannot confirm their long-term performance but based on my observations, I am hopeful.

I have one caveat.  I first purchased one MS9701TB from Amazon.  It was similar, but not exactly like the 9 or so I purchased a week later from MusiciansFriend.  I think On-Stage has updated this stand.  The version pictured may be the MS9701TB+ (note the +).  Also, Amazon's price fluctuates depending on your shopping history, where you live, etc (I think).  I got the first for $39.99.  When I purchased the next group, Amazon's price was around $47 and then $39.99 again the next day after I purchased from MusiciansFriend.

Here's a few pics of the On-Stage.
In one, you can see the weight of the boom assembly and the balance point.  The boom assembly weighs about 2.5 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:24:48 AM by Corey Scogin »

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »

On Stage has also been very responsive and good about replacement parts.  I also use a 3 and 6 pound weights as needed on stage to supplement the boom or the base.  This works very well for me on one of my older Tama stand that I use for field recording on choirs.  72 in height with 50 in boom.  Stereo pair on end from AT2021 to AT2020.  With 2020 I pull boom back to 40 with 10 behind pivot.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »

In my opinion the best brands are:

1. K&M
2. K&M
3. K&M

In my experience there is NO substitute worth anything at all.
No affiliation.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »

In my opinion the best brands are:

1. K&M
2. K&M
3. K&M

In my experience there is NO substitute worth anything at all.
No affiliation.

The rest of the top ten list are all K&M too.

Really, one of the items that gets exposed, abused...er I mean adjusted and played with by musicians constantly, then tossed back into a case constantly, and people want to cheap out?

There's a storeroom where a venue I work lets me keep some gear.  Lots of stray stuff in there, but back in a corner are all the other brands of mic stands that people have bought over the years, trashed in one way or another.

This mantra was invented for mic stands:  "Buy once, Cry once". 

Sure, K&M aren't perfect, but they are repairable when they need it, which is far less often than all the other brands.

Best regards,

John

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »

I'll put my vote in for K&M also.  I have 50 K&M telescoping boom stands (25 tall and 25 short), and they're great.  Model 210/9 and whatever the short version of it is.  I still have a few On-Stage stands around, but they've all been retired.  The K&M stands are so much better to work with than anything else I've used, and the availability of parts is nice as well.  It's also nice that I have a consistent inventory, so I know what to expect when I open my stand case. 

All my round base straight stands are Atlas, for whatever that's worth.

I bought all my stands from NSL, usually when I could get a discount on the order.  The regular price for 6 or more is $56.10, so I got all my stands for that amount or less.  Not including shipping, of course.  I'm probably done buying stands for a while though...
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »

Atlas round base stands with K&M booms.  K&M tripod base stands when you can't use round bases.

In the less money category, the short tripod w/boom that Mark & Liz sell at Audiopile.net, the DD-066B, is a pretty good value.  Note that the stand uses a 3/8" thread to mate with the boom, but the boom has USA 27x 5/8" for your mic clips.  You can't use the stand without the boom unless you have adapters.  Not likely to be an issue for most of us.

Stands *should be* "buy once, cry once" items.  You need to keep them nice, but they should last for 20 years, at least.  I have some K&M compact tripod stands/booms that are almost 30 years old.  Only maintenance has been boom clutch washers and the odd adjustment handle.  Probably about $30 worth.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Time to replace my boom mic stands. Suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »

Atlas round base stands with K&M booms.  K&M tripod base stands when you can't use round bases.

In the less money category, the short tripod w/boom that Mark & Liz sell at Audiopile.net, the DD-066B, is a pretty good value.  Note that the stand uses a 3/8" thread to mate with the boom, but the boom has USA 27x 5/8" for your mic clips.  You can't use the stand without the boom unless you have adapters.  Not likely to be an issue for most of us.

Stands *should be* "buy once, cry once" items.  You need to keep them nice, but they should last for 20 years, at least.  I have some K&M compact tripod stands/booms that are almost 30 years old.  Only maintenance has been boom clutch washers and the odd adjustment handle.  Probably about $30 worth.

I also have the short stands from Audiopile. I love em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »

Musicians Friend had a deal a few days back on a mic stand without boom for $13.99. I studied the specs since there was no model number listed and decided to pull the trigger on 6 of them. They just showed up and believe it or not they are the MS9700b+

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

Atlas round base stands are what I've used since Moby Dick was a minnow. They're not always easy to move in large groups, but they always look good and are built like the proverbial brick shithouse. And my booms are now all K&M.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.