ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?  (Read 37854 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:45 PM »

Scott, you are the one that has it all wrong.  These posts are here to show you that plastic is just fine, price doesn't matter and that any piece of gear can be used in professional settings.

The products do not need to have orange badges. 

In fact in my situation, I don't own a single orange badge.  I own an inventory of over 70 speakers of different flavors, 16 are plastic and cost under $400 each.  Those 16 speakers have a higher ROI than anything else in my inventory.

I have a small rig that has two 18" subs and two 12"+1.4" tops....makes me tons of money.

And then there is the big fancy stuff with 16 2x18" subs, 8 giant 3-way tops, 70,000 watts of amplifiers, power distribution, $10,000 worth of cables, etc., I pay out 1/3 or more of what I charge for just trucking and labor.  It's really cool, sounds great, gets loud, but the ROI is terrible compared to the cheap plastic stuff.

For a bar band wanting to upgrade with a budget of $1000, if they need speakers, plastic is just fine!  Maybe money old be better spent elsewhere like on good cables, a nice mic kit, or whatever. 

Scott Bolt

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »

OK, I am wearing my moderator hat on this thread. 

Links to the posts questioning Alto reliability, please.

I don't have a dog in this fight, really :-)

Sure Doug,

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/508433

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Live-Sound-Production/M-Audio-GSR12-vs-Alto-TS112A/td-p/34514307

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts112a-12-active-2-way-speaker

To be fair, I have also seen an alarming number of posts of failures lately on PRX speakers. 

The alarming thing I found was that for the very few number of forum reviews on these speakers, there were quite a few people who had issues.

@Ryan,

I am not sure where you read that I had an issue with plastic?  Are you guys reading the same thread that I am?

Orange badge? What on earth are you talking about?  I just recommended a pair of RCF312a's (although I thought a JBL XLF sub would have been a good idea but the OP dismissed that idea).

I have no doubt that your plastic speakers make you money.  Where are you reading that I think something bad about plastic boxes?
For a bar band wanting to upgrade with a budget of $1000, if they need speakers, plastic is just fine!
Plastic again!

Ok Ryan.  Would you recommend Alto speakers over RCF312a's for a band looking to upgrade their speakers from Behringers and having a budget of $1000.00?

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »

Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »

Scott, I'm kind of curious as to what you think is going on here. Do you think people are just picking on you, or do you think it has something to do with your obsession with telling us your opinion?  Opinions based on actual experience are interesting, but if you are just going to repeat stuff you read on forums, it gets a little irritating-hence the reaction you are getting here.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »

Sure Doug,

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/508433

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Live-Sound-Production/M-Audio-GSR12-vs-Alto-TS112A/td-p/34514307

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-ts112a-12-active-2-way-speaker

Link #1: some DJs have managed to blow them. All problems linked to LF driver.

Link #2: Nothing negative about the alto, the negative is about the m-audio that was replaced by the alto.

Link #3: 1 negative comment out of 15. Once again a blown LF driver.

If you are not planning on cramming 30-60 hz through your top boxes at +12db, I see nothing that sets these apart from anything else in their price range as far as reliability/ durability.
Jay Barracato

sam saponaro

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »

Not knowing anything about the situation, have you considered that the issue may not be only a factor of the gear?  Has anyone tried to optimize what you already have?  Do you have a tech who mixes from out front or are you mixing from the stage?  Whether you go with other changes such as adding a subwoofer or two or not, you may still benefit from making sure you are making the most of what you have.

+1 I've fixed a few situations were something stupid like an impedance mismatch was killing things. Another common thing I find is bad EQ'ing, over bassening (is that a word?)muttles things down so much no amount a volume can make the vocals heard. Allot of people seem to think allot bass will make it sound "BIG" but its not so...... 8)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »

Ok Ryan.  Would you recommend Alto speakers over RCF312a's for a band looking to upgrade their speakers from Behringers and having a budget of $1000.00?

I don't recommend products that I don't have personal knowledge about or experience with.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »

Link #1: some DJs have managed to blow them. All problems linked to LF driver.

Link #2: Nothing negative about the alto, the negative is about the m-audio that was replaced by the alto.

Link #3: 1 negative comment out of 15. Once again a blown LF driver.

If you are not planning on cramming 30-60 hz through your top boxes at +12db, I see nothing that sets these apart from anything else in their price range as far as reliability/ durability.

In addition, how many other brands have exactly the same kind of posts, most of which are eventually traced to operator error or, in some few cases, a bad run of parts.  Add to that the very nature of posting only the miniscule number of failures compared to the thousands or tens of thousands of units sold that DON'T get posts because the product is absolutely serviceable IF DJ'S DON'T BLOW THEM UP.

Any post regarding durability/serviceability coming from a DJ is automatically suspect.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.