ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Product Suggestion  (Read 5097 times)

Tamar Ghobria

Product Suggestion
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »

Looking for a seemless hd video switcher with multiple inputs (Hdmi, vga, component) and rca audio ouput...I need to be able to connect two laptops, Dvd or blu ray player and ipad to one source and alternate between each without any delay...Not looking to spend more than $1000...I was using pro presenter which functions well but find that it struggles with HD video clips and is not very stable...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Product Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »

Looking for a seemless hd video switcher with multiple inputs (Hdmi, vga, component) and rca audio ouput...I need to be able to connect two laptops, Dvd or blu ray player and ipad to one source and alternate between each without any delay...Not looking to spend more than $1000...I was using pro presenter which functions well but find that it struggles with HD video clips and is not very stable...

So, you need a scaler/switcher. There are several threads over at the other forum. I just went through it and discovered that the Kramer VP series lower end units were >$800 and were still not going to switch without delay (as you put it).
To get the seamless switching was north of $2000.

Perhaps others will have some good suggestions. I got through my gig last week but am still looking for a better (than I have) solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Product Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »

True seamless switching (dual scaler) with HDMI compatibility, HDCP for the Blu-Ray, and integrated audio switching with a stereo analog audio output is possible, but I agree that it may not be available for the desired budget.

I would say that the first thing you need to do is be more specific in terms of sources.  How many of each type of input do you require and do any need to be HDCP compatible?  Also identify what type(s) of outputs you require.  Then decide of you can work with a switcher/scaler where the unit uses a freeze frame or fade through black when switching inputs or if you require a true seamless switcher where you switch 'live' between inputs with no fade or freeze frame.  At that point you may have sufficient information to start looking for specific products that meet your needs.

Something like a Kramer VP-436/436N or VP-437/437N may fit your need and budget if a switcher/scaler is sufficient, but a true seamless switcher is likely outside your budget.

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »

Add a zero to your budget and you're getting close to the cost of what you're looking for

Most pro level switchers that I've seen don't deal with audio either.

You could go with a laptop based media server like resolume, but that's still going to run you $1400+ the cost of the laptop, and when running hd video you want something current/high spec.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »

Add a zero to your budget and you're getting close to the cost of what you're looking for

Most pro level switchers that I've seen don't deal with audio either.

You could go with a laptop based media server like resolume, but that's still going to run you $1400+ the cost of the laptop, and when running hd video you want something current/high spec.

Anyone try the new roland v-4ex....seems to have what I am looking though it is $1995

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »

Anyone try the new roland v-4ex....seems to have what I am looking though it is $1995
Maybe I misinterpreted your needs.  The V-4EX has three HDMI and one HDMI or RGB/Component inputs but the first three HDMI or composite video inputs are limited to 480p SD/ED signals, so I am not sure how you plan to connect two laptops, a Blu-Ray or DVD and an iPad to that unless at least three of those sources are 480p resolution HDMI.  The V-4EX also does not have the audio outputs you wanted, the RCA jacks are audio inputs and are the only audio connections other than audio integrated with the HDMI signals.

The V-4EX is actually a rather interesting device as even though it can accept a higher resolution input and provide a higher resolution output, it is essentially a SD switcher.  Any higher resolution signals on the fourth input are internally downscaled to 480p SD with the signals then processed as 480p signals.  The HDMI and RGB/component output can then be upscaled to up to 1080p.  So you could put 1080p in and get 1080p out but in between that is being downscaled and processed as 480p and then upscaled back to the higher resolution.

It's also a good example of how one sometimes must be careful of the details.  Input 4 can accept higher resolution signals but what signals it will accept depends on the specific connection used.  The Input 4 HDMI input will accept only standard 'video' signals (for NTSC those are 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p) and not other common computer or graphics resolution signals.  Conversely, the RGB input on Input 4 accepts a number of standard 'computer' resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1400x1050, 1600x1200 and 1920x1200, all with a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz) but apparently does not accept common video signals such as 720p or 1080i/p.

Those kinds of details are why it can be important to know not just the general device types but also the actual source signals and resolutions involved.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.