ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a great small self powered line array box  (Read 9583 times)

Travis Strain

• Prairie Sun Live
Looking for a great small self powered line array box
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »

Been looking into getting a self powered line array that would work for multiple small-midsize configurations (2 systems w/ 2 boxes per side or one large system with 4 boxes per side).  The top 3 boxes I'm looking at right now are the Yorkville Paraline, QSC KLA Series, and the RCF HDL 20-A.  So far I've only heard the Yorkville Paraline in person and it wasn't bad.  I've heard great things about the RCF HDL 20-A and only heard a bit about the QSC KLAs.  What is the word on all of these boxes?  Are there any other self powered line array boxes that you would recommend?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Looking for a great small self powered line array box
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »

Been looking into getting a self powered line array that would work for multiple small-midsize configurations (2 systems w/ 2 boxes per side or one large system with 4 boxes per side).  The top 3 boxes I'm looking at right now are the Yorkville Paraline, QSC KLA Series, and the RCF HDL 20-A.  So far I've only heard the Yorkville Paraline in person and it wasn't bad.  I've heard great things about the RCF HDL 20-A and only heard a bit about the QSC KLAs.  What is the word on all of these boxes?  Are there any other self powered line array boxes that you would recommend?

Buy a quality trap box rig.

4 line array elements is a "dash", not a "line."  I use dashes sometimes, but there are specific reasons and our clients understand the results will not be the same as a full hang.

2 elements isn't even a dash.  There are some constant curvature arrays like the JBL VRX and EAW's JFL and they'll do better in a 2 box situation than "real" line array elements...  but I think you really need to understand what makes vertical arrays work (or not).

In general, you need to look at coverage - putting sound where the people are; and intensity - how much SPL and where.  From there you can begin to select loudspeaker systems and make other system-related decisions.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:10:52 PM »

Buy a quality trap box rig.

4 line array elements is a "dash", not a "line."  I use dashes sometimes, but there are specific reasons and our clients understand the results will not be the same as a full hang.

2 elements isn't even a dash.  There are some constant curvature arrays like the JBL VRX and EAW's JFL and they'll do better in a 2 box situation than "real" line array elements...  but I think you really need to understand what makes vertical arrays work (or not).

In general, you need to look at coverage - putting sound where the people are; and intensity - how much SPL and where.  From there you can begin to select loudspeaker systems and make other system-related decisions.

Killjoy.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:42:12 AM »

There are some constant curvature arrays like the JBL VRX and EAW's JFL and they'll do better in a 2 box situation than "real" line array elements...

I think the QSC KLA and Yorkville Paraline that the OP mentions are constant curvature arrays.

It's funny that even RCF shows a 1-box per side setup on the HDL 20-A product page.  (to the right)
http://www.rcf.it/professional-speaker-systems/d-line/hdl-20-a

I agree with your assessment, Tim.  I'm just making an observation.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »

Although not self-powered L-Acoustics ARCS Wide has worked well for me, even just 1 on a stand.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »

4 line array elements is a "dash", not a "line."
I like that description :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Jameson

• SR Forums
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »

Another one worth a look - http://www.dbtechnologies.com/EN/Products/dva/dva_t8_p1091.aspx
I suspect you would need a minimum of 3 per side, but it could be a very cost effective solution.

Rob Burgess

• Montreal, QC, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

Been looking into getting a self powered line array that would work for multiple small-midsize configurations

Depending on how much coverage you need the JBL VRX-932LAP might be good.  I've used a single one as a satellite, 2 on subs or stands, and 3 or 4 (per side) flown.  Versatile and reasonably good sounding.  One possible downside is that you can't adjust the angle between boxes.

--
Rob
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Sean MacLaughlin

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »

Although not self-powered L-Acoustics ARCS Wide has worked well for me, even just 1 on a stand.

I also am considering the L-Acoustics ARCS Wide.  In a single over a sub - how did you find it?

SM

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

I also am considering the L-Acoustics ARCS Wide.  In a single over a sub - how did you find it?

SM
It's like a L acoustics 12XT with less spill... The HF is a bit agressive when only using one box, but that can easily be compensated for.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.