ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?  (Read 26545 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »

Lotta choices there, Mr. Perry.  Anything in particular catch your eye?

Mainly to point out that there are resources beyond the local guitar store and these prices are generally negotiable.

I might draw your attention to the EAW KF461-TAVS ... if you care to have 115 lb speakers.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 07:31:24 am »

Thanks for all the great advice guys.  I should clarify that we haven't actually gotten complaints about our sound, I just find it's always a struggle to get it where I want it, particularly with the neediness of the other band members.
In terms of the drummer having a monitor and singing, I guess that's why I posed the question.  Guess who's the drummer!  At times I play without a monitor.
Not knowing anything about the situation, have you considered that the issue may not be only a factor of the gear?  Has anyone tried to optimize what you already have?  Do you have a tech who mixes from out front or are you mixing from the stage?  Whether you go with other changes such as adding a subwoofer or two or not, you may still benefit from making sure you are making the most of what you have.

jesseweiss

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 09:05:56 am »

Mainly to point out that there are resources beyond the local guitar store and these prices are generally negotiable.

I might draw your attention to the EAW KF461-TAVS ... if you care to have 115 lb speakers.

I try to exclusively buy at local smaller shops, but those by me don't have this stuff.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:10 am »

Don't forget a pair of the most expensive lessons that most of us learned the hard way...
Buy once, cry once!
And
The wrong piece of gear at the right price is Still the wrong piece of gear!

Lots of folk suggested the powered JBL sub. It seems close to your ~$1000 number. I agree it will work well for you. I have the (slightly more expensive) QSC unit and it works great.

Save up a couple of more shows and make the right buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

jesseweiss

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 09:48:58 am »

Don't forget a pair of the most expensive lessons that most of us learned the hard way...
Buy once, cry once!
And
The wrong piece of gear at the right price is Still the wrong piece of gear!

Lots of folk suggested the powered JBL sub. It seems close to your ~$1000 number. I agree it will work well for you. I have the (slightly more expensive) QSC unit and it works great.

Save up a couple of more shows and make the right buy.

I know the feeling!  That's why I'm trying to find something used in the under $1k range.

Is the QSC KSub good?  It seems decent on spec, and there's a used unit for like $700 in excellent condition at a GC near me.  I know QSC as a brand is well respected.

The JBL does seem great, but it's a little more than I can spend.  I'm looking for used too, but even those tend to be $1k.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:35 am »

I know the feeling!  That's why I'm trying to find something used in the under $1k range.

Is the QSC KSub good?  It seems decent on spec, and there's a used unit for like $700 in excellent condition at a GC near me.  I know QSC as a brand is well respected.

The JBL does seem great, but it's a little more than I can spend.  I'm looking for used too, but even those tend to be $1k.

Personally, I think $700 for a used KSub is way high compared to the performance of either the JBL or QSC powered 18" cabs.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

jesseweiss

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 12:18:26 pm »

Personally, I think $700 for a used KSub is way high compared to the performance of either the JBL or QSC powered 18" cabs.

Good to know.  If that's the top end of my budget, is it not worth it for the KSub?

Caleb Dueck

Re: Re: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

Good to know.  If that's the top end of my budget, is it not worth it for the KSub?
Pass on the KSub, unless it's used and really cheap,  like $200. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:37:03 pm »

I like them. My clients like them. My Audiences like them, or at least the results I get with them. I have one client demanding I use them at an outdoor party for 4,000.  (I will used a larger rig for that)

Rick Powell

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »

Yorkville LS800p?  For that budget, I'd think about finding one used; would have more guts than the KSub.  Didn't see any on ebay just now. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 25 queries.