ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?  (Read 37534 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 02:15:10 AM »

always a good plan...

... but another plan might be http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/

Lotta choices there, Mr. Perry.  Anything in particular catch your eye?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Jakubiak

• Recalcitrant Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:33:30 AM »

So my band uses 2 Behringer 212A's, 2 Mackie TH-15's, SM58's, and a Behringer UB2442FX mixer.  It works for us, has enough channels, and is a big impr......

Jesse, Im suprised you've gotten as far as you have with just two monitors. If I were you Id go with two more mackies for monitors/mains like you said. Its got to be an issue for all of the guys singing vocals unless you trade off or tilt monitors around when you you change lead vocalist etc...  Hard to imagine the drummer doesnt have a monitor if he's singing too.   Any way if theres a hole in ur nice little system its 4 guys sharing 2 monitors  - you'll probably be able turn the stage monitor volume down if you get a few more properly positioned at each guy.   You cant really improve ur sound for 1K though you would need 2-3k for some mains.  If I were you I'd try to get a good price for ur behringer stuff and upgrade everything to mackie.    If you dont need 2 more monitors, a used mackie onyx 12 or 16 channel mixer (or used Allen & Heath etc... ) is a big improvement on sound quality over behringer mixers.  the Onyx preams are especially warm-sounding on vocals --since you have all 4 guys singing.
Chris Jakubiak
Recalcitrant Productions

Spenser Hamilton

Best upgrade to current "bar band" system for under $1000?
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »

If I were you I'd try to get a good price for ur behringer stuff and upgrade everything to mackie.

That would be the text book definition of a sideways upgrade. Better he hold on to the gear he has until he can afford something that would actually net a tangible increase in quality.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

jesseweiss

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »

Thanks for all the great advice guys.  I should clarify that we haven't actually gotten complaints about our sound, I just find it's always a struggle to get it where I want it, particularly with the neediness of the other band members.

It definitely sounds like getting a SUB is the way to go.  I've been pushing the band towards that for a while, so I guess I was on the right track.  I figured as mediocre as the mains are, if they aren't required to do the low end work the overall sound will be much better.  Let's say I was looking to spend more like $600 on a sub.  Is it totally not worth it to get a Behringer or Mackie?  What's out there in the better brands that I might find used?

In terms of monitors, we have another monitor that one guitarist uses for other stuff that we use as well.  In terms of the drummer having a monitor and singing, I guess that's why I posed the question.  Guess who's the drummer!  At times I play without a monitor.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »

Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18

While I haven't heard these personally one of the forum members did a nice review of them: Alto TSsub18 Review

If I was in the market for a sub or two I'd consider getting them; we need monitors more than subs right now so that's our next major purchase. Anyway I'm sure others will have more/better ideas.

jesseweiss

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

Alto Professional TRUESONIC TSsub18

While I haven't heard these personally one of the forum members did a nice review of them: Alto TSsub18 Review

If I was in the market for a sub or two I'd consider getting them; we need monitors more than subs right now so that's our next major purchase. Anyway I'm sure others will have more/better ideas.

With the budget tight, the Alto is actually on my radar after reading positive things about them on this forum (at least for budget stuff).  I'm going to try to listen it, the 15" version, and maybe their 12 or 15" speakers too.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice guys.  I should clarify that we haven't actually gotten complaints about our sound, I just find it's always a struggle to get it where I want it, particularly with the neediness of the other band members.

It definitely sounds like getting a SUB is the way to go.  I've been pushing the band towards that for a while, so I guess I was on the right track.  I figured as mediocre as the mains are, if they aren't required to do the low end work the overall sound will be much better.  Let's say I was looking to spend more like $600 on a sub.  Is it totally not worth it to get a Behringer or Mackie?  What's out there in the better brands that I might find used?

In terms of monitors, we have another monitor that one guitarist uses for other stuff that we use as well.  In terms of the drummer having a monitor and singing, I guess that's why I posed the question.  Guess who's the drummer!  At times I play without a monitor.
One PRX618S-XLF will surpass 2 of your $600.00 subs and will sound better doing it.  If you can get the money together for the XLF, I strongly suggest you go this way.  You will NOT be disappointed in the results.

jesseweiss

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »

One PRX618S-XLF will surpass 2 of your $600.00 subs and will sound better doing it.  If you can get the money together for the XLF, I strongly suggest you go this way.  You will NOT be disappointed in the results.

Scott, I definitely get that and I'm sure you are completely correct.  However, I don't have the $ to spend $1200 right now. Is the 618S worth it?  Seems like it won't go as low, but can't find another difference.

Are there are some others I should look at that might be in the $600 ballpark used?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

Scott, I definitely get that and I'm sure you are completely correct.  However, I don't have the $ to spend $1200 right now. Is the 618S worth it?  Seems like it won't go as low, but can't find another difference.

Are there are some others I should look at that might be in the $600 ballpark used?
I just did a quick look around.  There was a deal where the XLF's were going for 1K a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find them.

The reason the XLF is such a great deal is because it uses the same driver as the much more expensive VRX touring powered sub, but is targeted at the MI market.

Even at $1200.00 I am sure most people in this forum and others would say that it is the best sub for the buck out there for the single "top over sub" market.

When I was searching for subs, I tested the Yamaha DSR118, the JBL PRX618S, JBL PRX618S-XLF, EV ELX118, KW181, and the Cerwin Vega CVA-118 (which my drummer owns).

The KW181 was close in output and quality to the XLF, but none of the others were even close.  The CVA-118 has quite a bit of output, but is heavy and ..... woofy.

The JBL PRX618S goes for 1K.  No way would I not put out the additional $200.00 for the XLF.

I have seen some of the EV ELX118p's out there used for around $350.00 each.  They go new for $500.00 ..... but you are going to need 2 of them.  They aren't that bad sounding, but they don't have near the output of an XLF.  Even a pair of them wouldn't IMHO.

I haven't heard the Alto TsSub 18's, but I see that Guitar Center carries them.  If I were you, I would take a trip to the store and audition all these subs so you can hear for yourself the difference.

No matter what sub you end up with, it is likely going to be the biggest improvement to your current rig.

Good luck and let me know how it works out!

jesseweiss

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

I just did a quick look around.  There was a deal where the XLF's were going for 1K a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find them.

The reason the XLF is such a great deal is because it uses the same driver as the much more expensive VRX touring powered sub, but is targeted at the MI market.

Even at $1200.00 I am sure most people in this forum and others would say that it is the best sub for the buck out there for the single "top over sub" market.

When I was searching for subs, I tested the Yamaha DSR118, the JBL PRX618S, JBL PRX618S-XLF, EV ELX118, KW181, and the Cerwin Vega CVA-118 (which my drummer owns).

The KW181 was close in output and quality to the XLF, but none of the others were even close.  The CVA-118 has quite a bit of output, but is heavy and ..... woofy.

The JBL PRX618S goes for 1K.  No way would I not put out the additional $200.00 for the XLF.

I have seen some of the EV ELX118p's out there used for around $350.00 each.  They go new for $500.00 ..... but you are going to need 2 of them.  They aren't that bad sounding, but they don't have near the output of an XLF.  Even a pair of them wouldn't IMHO.

I haven't heard the Alto TsSub 18's, but I see that Guitar Center carries them.  If I were you, I would take a trip to the store and audition all these subs so you can hear for yourself the difference.

No matter what sub you end up with, it is likely going to be the biggest improvement to your current rig.

Good luck and let me know how it works out!

Great info.  Have to see what's in stock at the local GC's to test out.

Good to know that the sub will be a big improvement, no matter which one I go with.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.