ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW CLA37 as makeshift solo-acoustic PA  (Read 4199 times)

James Heyser

• Smilin' James Sound
EAW CLA37 as makeshift solo-acoustic PA
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »

I posted here because I figured that the install people would know about the CLA37's.  I am looking at a good deal on a single used CLA37 that I thought would make a nice unit for playing super small gigs as a singer-songwriter, and wondered how it sounded musically.

I would bring a tiny sub, too, so the frequency range wouldn't be a problem.  Mainly I just wanted to know how it sounds in it's range, not if it is a complete standalone system.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: EAW CLA37 as makeshift solo-acoustic PA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »

I posted here because I figured that the install people would know about the CLA37's.  I am looking at a good deal on a single used CLA37 that I thought would make a nice unit for playing super small gigs as a singer-songwriter, and wondered how it sounded musically.

I would bring a tiny sub, too, so the frequency range wouldn't be a problem.  Mainly I just wanted to know how it sounds in it's range, not if it is a complete standalone system.

I have used the CLA series, including this model (which is the only remaining model), a few times for spoken word systems and mostly in churches and they work OK.

There are a few reasons I would hesitate using them for music reinforcement, even for light duty:

The need to run your sub up to 140Hz. This'll work but is not ideal.

They have no mounting means other than fly points. Standing them up is dangerous. I think that the ends are too small for pole cups. I don't recall if they have Omnimount bolt provisions (tee nuts) on the back.

I recommend that the CLA37 needs a steep high-pass filter and should perhaps be run with an even higher crossover point than 140Hz.

Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: EAW CLA37 as makeshift solo-acoustic PA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.