ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker mounted upside down  (Read 16184 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Speaker mounted upside down
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:40:18 am »

At least it isn't mounted facing backwards...  ::)

Probably done on purpose. Sure to be second guessed as better and worse.

How does it sound? Have you asked the people who did it?

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

Tim McCain

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:14 am »

At least it isn't mounted facing backwards...  ::)

Probably done on purpose. Sure to be second guessed as better and worse.

How does it sound? Have you asked the people who did it?

JR

I am quite confident that the people who installed it have no idea why they did what they did.  A few months ago I asked for insert cables so I could hook up a compressor.  They had no idea what an insert cable was.  So, IMO this sound system was way over their head.

Anyway - as to how it sounds.  It sounds ok as long as you are in the coverage of the speaker, but the speakers don't cover the room well.  Hence why I asked about it being upside down.  I wasn't sure if that made a difference because I have never seen any mounted in that orientation. 

Jeff Foster

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 03:07:24 pm »

I am quite confident that the people who installed it have no idea why they did what they did.  A few months ago I asked for insert cables so I could hook up a compressor.  They had no idea what an insert cable was.  So, IMO this sound system was way over their head.

Anyway - as to how it sounds.  It sounds ok as long as you are in the coverage of the speaker, but the speakers don't cover the room well.  Hence why I asked about it being upside down.  I wasn't sure if that made a difference because I have never seen any mounted in that orientation.

I can't speak for your dealer, but I would be very surprised if the people that work the counter in the store have anything to do with the people doing system design/install.  Most places will have their least experienced people working the retail side and then people will get promoted to design/install if they know what they're doing.  You may very well be right, though; but I wouldn't judge the knowledge of the whole company on one guy who doesn't know what an insert cable is.  That guy could even be filling in from another department for someone who called in sick that day.

It sounds like you have some good concerns over the speaker coverage.  However, it also sounds like you don't have many (any?) options to improve the sound with the current speakers.  Are you asking these questions because you're trying to justify an expenditure of speaker replacement?
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Tim McCain

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

The person I asked about the insert cables was actually the guy who designed and installed the system. 

As to why I am asking the questions, I am really trying to sort this whole system out in my mind and get the best possible sound that we can at the moment.  Unfortunately our budget doesn't have any room for new speakers unless we could sell these for a decent return. 

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »

I would not expect that installing a middle speaker upside down to be a likely accident, while it may yet turn out to not be optimal. Accidents based on ignorance would be things like wiring boxes with wrong polarity, perhaps two adjacent boxes one way, and one the other. 

I would expect ignorant "seat of their pants" installers to make them all face the same, so there was probably a thought process involved in flipping one. Horns and different frequency band passes interact differently. 

I have seen middle boxes in arrays mounted upside down before, but not those boxes, arrayed like that, and I am not smart enough to offer an opinion about your installation.

If you question the integrity of the installation, I'd be concerned about the rigging first.

JR 

PS: Insert cables are not a common fixed install accessory where most gear is hard wired to barrier strips. I wouldn't leap to any conclusions about their install chops based on that.  If you spoke with the guy who "designed" the system why did he say he put the middle box upside down?

Jeff Foster

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 03:57:47 pm »

If you spoke with the guy who "designed" the system why did he say he put the middle box upside down?

Like JR said, ask the guy who installed it.  If he's still accessible, it makes a lot more sense to ask him then to come on here and ask people who have never seen your system.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »

Just a quick question that maybe you guys can help me figure out.  We have a 3 speaker cluster mounted in the center just in front of and above the podium.  The company that installed the system mounted the center speaker upside down in relation to the other two speakers.  Does this have any impact on the sound and/or trajectory of the highs in the room.  We are using Peavey Sanctuary Series SSE 1594 speakers.
Just from a visual in the back of the room you can see the distance the side seating is from the right left loudspeaker, and the "close" distance center front seating is to the center loudspeaker.
Instinct says to invert the center loudspeaker for better HF coverage to center close seating.
Not so much rocket science
:D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:17:04 pm by Stu McDoniel »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:05:08 pm »

PS: Insert cables are not a common fixed install accessory where most gear is hard wired to barrier strips.
I was in the install business for well over a decade.  We never (that I can remember) hooked up the gear to barrier strips.  To me it is an additional failure point and adds costs for no benefits.  A point of "separation" for speaker lines-but that has a questionable benefit-in my opinion anyway.

Yes in older systems-but not in modern (as in this century) systems.  I have some speaker lines tied to barrier strips-but that is about it.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 10:28:04 pm »

Are many install speakers even designed to be flown upside down?  All I could find on those was there were twelve fly-points available, but no specifics on location.  I know most line arrays are designed to be flown in multiples, but does orientation change the load rating on the fly points?
This space for rent

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »

I was in the install business for well over a decade.  We never (that I can remember) hooked up the gear to barrier strips.  To me it is an additional failure point and adds costs for no benefits.  A point of "separation" for speaker lines-but that has a questionable benefit-in my opinion anyway.

Yes in older systems-but not in modern (as in this century) systems.  I have some speaker lines tied to barrier strips-but that is about it.

I designed dedicated install market equipment for years and barrier strips were the desired interface of choice for the customers we serviced.  As i recall they had a strong aversion to any non-locking audio connector (like a 1/4" insert cable). Neutrik did design a locking 1/4" female panel jack but it took up as much panel space and cost as much money as an XLR so you might as well use the XLR. Install customers were also cheap (probably another reason they liked barrier strips).  ;D

Admittedly my stint doing install equipment design was in the last century.

I won't argue with you about what you used. That would be silly.

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.