ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Tablet PC??  (Read 9571 times)

Chris Johnson [UK]

Re: Which Tablet PC??
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'll look more into the motion LE1700. I have had a quick look into them before, but not in depth.

One thing I like about the Thinkpad is that it is of course a regular laptop too. Its easy to go from sitting at a desk programming to wandering the room.

I suppose this is also the case with the motion and its keyboard dock though...

Thanks,

Chris
Riedel Communications

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »

I've been using iPads and other non-PC tablets off and on for a while, but personally I find them too much of a compromise. You have to remote in to another PC/Mac to do anything, most have poor VNC/Remote desktop offerings compared to what I could do on a PC, they don't have good stylus support, etc...

If you haven't tried Splashtop 2 you should, it's the best Remote desktop app I've seen. On a local network it's very smooth; not necessarily a substitute for a PC tablet but it makes your iPad more useful. It's also available for Windows 8, Mac, and Android; the streamer app works with Windows and OSX. There is a "smooth" mode that allows it to handle full motion video at the expense of some crispness of text.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »

If you haven't tried Splashtop 2 you should, it's the best Remote desktop app I've seen. On a local network it's very smooth; not necessarily a substitute for a PC tablet but it makes your iPad more useful. It's also available for Windows 8, Mac, and Android; the streamer app works with Windows and OSX. There is a "smooth" mode that allows it to handle full motion video at the expense of some crispness of text.

Yes I had tried the older Splashtop, and after reading this and other forums, I tried splashtop 2 on my Ipad and Nexus 7.

To be honest, while its better than VNC, I still found it a pain, and had connection issues even on a simple test network at home.

Now I know lots of people have lots of success with it, but I personally would rather have the real deal. Since I mainly work with things like d&b R1 and LA Network Manager, I may as well have a tablet and run those apps directly. No remote desktop. Then I'm only RDP/VNCing for Smaart. I'll give splashtop another whirl for that.

Thanks,
Riedel Communications

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »

Yes I had tried the older Splashtop, and after reading this and other forums, I tried splashtop 2 on my Ipad and Nexus 7.

To be honest, while its better than VNC, I still found it a pain, and had connection issues even on a simple test network at home.

Now I know lots of people have lots of success with it, but I personally would rather have the real deal. Since I mainly work with things like d&b R1 and LA Network Manager, I may as well have a tablet and run those apps directly. No remote desktop. Then I'm only RDP/VNCing for Smaart. I'll give splashtop another whirl for that.

Thanks,
Understood, I haven't had too many connection issues with it even when using it over the internet(connecting to my laptop at work from my iPad at home) but everyone's setup is different. I haven't tried it with any audio related apps so I don't doubt that it is a pain, the only things I've used it with are web browsers and normal computing tasks. Despite how good Splashtop is it isn't a substitute for the real thing; I do find the Mac app pretty useful for remote troubleshooting(I'm the family computer tech).

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »

You might look at the Microsoft Surface Pro; I haven't used it but it looks nice. USB, stylus, capacitive multitouch, available keyboard cover, mini DisplayPort, and less than 1kg. I know if I was in the market for a Windows tablet it would be on my list of tablets to look at.

I have one as my backup computer and absolutely love it.  The construction is great and rugged, it has a standard USB port and great (as good as iPad) touch interface, and runs regular Windows programs very fast.  The keyboard cover makes it almost a real computer.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »

There's a rumor that keeps surfacing of a MacBook Pro tablet in the near future(from Apple, not the one that a company will convert for you for whatever you can carry in a wheelbarrow from the US mint). But it keeps being refuted by the folks close to Steve Jobs that claim he hated the idea of a full-featured tablet

The Mac folks can (kinda) hope, I guess.

Geri O

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Which Tablet PC??
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

There's a rumor that keeps surfacing of a MacBook Pro tablet in the near future(from Apple, not the one that a company will convert for you for whatever you can carry in a wheelbarrow from the US mint). But it keeps being refuted by the folks close to Steve Jobs that claim he hated the idea of a full-featured tablet

The Mac folks can (kinda) hope, I guess.

Geri O

I'd rather see a more full featured iPad, OSX would take a major overhaul(and possibly unwelcome) to work with a touchscreen well enough for Apple to market it. A more powerful iPad with a better version of iOS seems more likely to me.

Anyway that's just my opinion; Apple could easily figure out the recipe for an OS that works equally well with a mouse and touchscreen.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »

As good as wireless networking has gotten I still can't get away from a hardwired computer/laptop and a tablet connected via remote desktop.  Windows remote desktop works so much better then any VNC client I have tried.  I have been using a Dell laptop hardwired and a Gateway tablet for about 5 years and it works fine.  Toshiba Toughbook tablets are the bomb (or at least bomb proof) but Motion Tablets are probably a more practical choice for the weight and price.  The Gateway tablet works for me mainly because every time I break, smash, or drown it I can get a replacement/parts one off of Ebay cheap.  The new Windows tablets look quite interesting and will probably be the way I would/will go in the future.  I have to admit I have never caught the Apple bug but, I have never had issues with Windows.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:15:56 PM by Doug Johnson »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »

Which one Bob? The EP121?
Hi Chris,

I have the B121. It seems to be the same as the EP121. I've been happy with it. I only run two things on it: Sonar executing a StudioWare panel I built in Cakewalk, and Adobe PDF Reader for my music scores.., admittedly a light load, but it works great.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.