ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Tablet PC??  (Read 6696 times)

Chris Johnson [UK]

Re: Which Tablet PC??
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 03:31:47 am »

I have one as my backup computer and absolutely love it.  The construction is great and rugged, it has a standard USB port and great (as good as iPad) touch interface, and runs regular Windows programs very fast.  The keyboard cover makes it almost a real computer.

Thanks for the info Pete. I have read a few reviews and it does look good.
Do you find the stylus laggy at all? One of the big plus points for motion LE and J series is the very high end wacom screens which lead to very accurate stylus use.

Admittedly, I'm not doing drawing or anything like that, I just find most pieces of control software not at all conducive to finger touch usage.

There's a rumor that keeps surfacing of a MacBook Pro tablet in the near future(from Apple, not the one that a company will convert for you for whatever you can carry in a wheelbarrow from the US mint). But it keeps being refuted by the folks close to Steve Jobs that claim he hated the idea of a full-featured tablet

The Mac folks can (kinda) hope, I guess.

Geri O

Maybe.

Personally I'm not going to hold my breath, mainly because apple have increasingly shifted their attention away from professionals, onto consumers. The near disappearance of the Mac Pro, and the general direction of their pro apps, suggests that they realise that as nice as it might be to say you have the professional market, it doesn't account for anything like the revenue that consumers do.

And if you are just a normal computer user (internet, email, occasional documents, etc...) then an iPad already fills all those needs quite nicely

In my particular case though, the main issue is that I don't see d&b developing R1 for mac anytime soon. Same goes for London Architect and LANM. So a windows PC is a necessary evil.

I'm intrigued by this one:

http://m.futureshop.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10225581&lang=en-CA

Me too! The Samsung ATIV pro, or even the Series 7 Slate look very interesting. Great form factor, good battery life, and nice compact dock all add up to an interesting product. They also, like the surface pro, have sensible processors (no intel Atom!) so they could actually run Smaart etc... natively if I wanted them to.

Hi Chris,

I have the B121. It seems to be the same as the EP121. I've been happy with it. I only run two things on it: Sonar executing a StudioWare panel I built in Cakewalk, and Adobe PDF Reader for my music scores.., admittedly a light load, but it works great.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Thanks Bob.

------------

Here's a question for you all:

Screens.

One of my issues is that occasionally, I'll need whatever I buy to be daylight viewable. Now a lot of people talk about the Motion view anywhere screens, but looking at specs, they actually arent very bright.

As a baseline, my macbook air has a peak screen brightness of around 350 cd/m2 (cd/m2 = nits)

A Motion LE1700 has a peak brightness of only 190 cd/m2, whereas a lot of the new tablets (like the samsung) have a brightness of around 400 cd/m2. However, they all have glossy screens.

So, to those of you with 'proper' tablets: how do you find the screens outdoors? Does the Motion View Anywhere system (combination of increase in brightness and special coatings) really make it work?

I've found someone local selling an LE1700 w/ XGA view anywhere for 150.

Thanks!
Riedel Communications

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 08:41:47 am »

As far as outdoors goes, a transreflective LCD screen can help out a bunch. Transrefelctive essentially means that sunlight is reflected back at you.

I've used them before and while it isn't like using a PC indoors, it is an upgrade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflective_liquid_crystal_display

Just food for thought - it might be hard to find a TabletPC with such a screen, as it is kind of a niche market and the transflective is also niche - however I know other people have faced the issue of sunlight, so perhaps this technology is useful to them.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 08:54:59 am »

So, to those of you with 'proper' tablets: how do you find the screens outdoors? Does the Motion View Anywhere system (combination of increase in brightness and special coatings) really make it work?

I've found someone local selling an LE1700 w/ XGA view anywhere for 150.

Thanks!

Chris - I have a handfull of the older Motion Lab tablets that we use exclusively for running Lake Controller Software.  Some have the View Anywhere feature and some don't.  View Anywhere can be used in direct sunlight with some effort.  Standard screen is useless.  Also we have found that the current version of Lake runs much slower under Windows 7 than Windows Pro on the older Motion Lab processor.  Haven't tried Windows 8.  Overall, I think they are very robust and capable at a good price.  I haven't looked in the last six months, so there may be better options now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:58:37 am by Steve Payne »
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 10:03:35 am »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that.

I'm currently chasing down either an LE1700 Motion (the one with the Core 2 Duo processor) or a Lenovo X200T with the outdoor screen.

Both of those will fit my needs well. The Motion is a better tablet, but the X200t is a better all rounder and has more easily upgradeable parts, so we'll see. Both come with full wacom digitizers
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 10:03:35 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.