ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Tablet PC??  (Read 6707 times)

Chris Johnson [UK]

Which Tablet PC??
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:45:18 am »

Hey all,

So I'm in the market for a new tablet for work. Main use will be remoting to main laptop (smaart etc...) and running system control software (d&b R1, L'Acoustics Network Manager, etc...).

I've been using iPads and other non-PC tablets off and on for a while, but personally I find them too much of a compromise. You have to remote in to another PC/Mac to do anything, most have poor VNC/Remote desktop offerings compared to what I could do on a PC, they don't have good stylus support, etc...

So, I'd finally like to get something fit for purpose. I'll keep my main MBP for control/smaart duties, and my iPad Mini for personal use (read: watching movies, etc...). Here is my wishlist:

• Needs to run Windows, so I can run control software natively and use peripherals
  • Must have good stylus input. That means no pure capacitative products. Needs a resistive layer or a wacom digitizer type deal...
  • Not too heavy. I don't need iPad lightness, but definitely <2kg. Ideally 1-1.5kg
  • Must have proper USB ports
  • Screen needs to be bright enough to be usable outdoors

So, what are you guys using?

I've thought about a surface pro, but they leave a little to be desired.
I also looked at the ToughBook CF-18/CF-19. Great features, super rugged, but 2.3kg is heavy!
The convertible Lenovos look ok...

Riedel Communications

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Which Tablet PC??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:12 am »

What is your budget? Lenovos are going for $200-$300 for an X61 to  $1000-$2000 for an x230.

I personally have an x61 tablet and non-tablet combo...And will soon have a x230 non-tablet/tablet combo.

The x61 leaves a lot to be desired in outdoor brightness. The x230 is at 300nits which I find sufficient.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Chris Johnson [UK]

Re: Which Tablet PC??
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:44 am »

Hi David,

No particular budget in mind. I'm happy to spend $1k+ if thats what it takes. The goal is to end up with a machine that can handle this specific role without always tying up my personal Mac (sometimes I need to leave sys control at FOH and go do some work backstage, etc...)

I had heard that about the X61. The Dell XT2 seems to have the same issue. The Toughbook has an advantage here with 1000nits of brightness...
Riedel Communications

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Which Tablet PC??
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:09:48 am »

I use an ASUS Slate. Touch screen, stylus, Bluetooth keyboard. Works well.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:35 am »

You might look at the Microsoft Surface Pro; I haven't used it but it looks nice. USB, stylus, capacitive multitouch, available keyboard cover, mini DisplayPort, and less than 1kg. I know if I was in the market for a Windows tablet it would be on my list of tablets to look at.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:37:56 am »

What is your budget? Lenovos are going for $200-$300 for an X61 to  $1000-$2000 for an x230.

I personally have an x61 tablet and non-tablet combo...And will soon have a x230 non-tablet/tablet combo.

The x61 leaves a lot to be desired in outdoor brightness. The x230 is at 300nits which I find sufficient.

I use the Lenovo X61 tablets. They work great. THere is an "outdoor" screen option, but none of mine have it so I can't say if it works or not....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:03:15 am »

I use an ASUS Slate. Touch screen, stylus, Bluetooth keyboard. Works well.

Which one Bob? The EP121?

You might look at the Microsoft Surface Pro; I haven't used it but it looks nice. USB, stylus, capacitive multitouch, available keyboard cover, mini DisplayPort, and less than 1kg. I know if I was in the market for a Windows tablet it would be on my list of tablets to look at.

Yes, I will definitely look closer at it. I wonder about build quality though...

I use the Lenovo X61 tablets. They work great. THere is an "outdoor" screen option, but none of mine have it so I can't say if it works or not....

Yes, I'd looked at the X200/X220 offerings. Over here I can get hold of a refurbished X200 for like 250, which is pretty cheap.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far
Riedel Communications

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »

I had a Lenovo X200 that I really liked a lot. Before that, I had an X61 and yes, the screen was a problem outdoors. The X200 was a little better.

But if I get another Windows tablet, it will be the Motion Computing unit. They are made to be tablets, not convertibles. But they ain't cheap.

If you can't get the Motion unit, I  think the X series convertible would be the next best bet. The X200s are all over Ebay for good prices.

Geri O

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 12:04:16 pm »

I had a Lenovo X200 that I really liked a lot. Before that, I had an X61 and yes, the screen was a problem outdoors. The X200 was a little better.

But if I get another Windows tablet, it will be the Motion Computing unit. They are made to be tablets, not convertibles. But they ain't cheap.

If you can't get the Motion unit, I  think the X series convertible would be the next best bet. The X200s are all over Ebay for good prices.

Geri O

Get the Motion.  You can find used/refurb LE1700 with Core 2 Duo, a "view anywhere" screen and a decent size HD for <US$1000.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »

I have a Lenovo X230T and for the most part, I love it.
Just used it outside this morning and was still able to see the screen.
I was upset with the preciseness of the stylus until I realized it was me.
If I held it at too severe of an angle, it would be way off. Hold it upright and its perfect.
My biggest gripe about it at the moment is the Wireless on/off switch on the side of it. I am constantly hitting it and losing my connection.
Jeff Baumgartner

Show Technologies Audio Visual

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.