ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor speakers  (Read 7507 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Outdoor speakers
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »

Looking for recommendations for outdoor speakers.  Permanent install on a flat un-sheltered south facing wall in Minnesota.  Client wants to use system for a couple mics and pre-recorded music playback.

My concern is durability vis-a-vis weather and getting enough output to work in an outside space.

I suppose it is possible that the speakers could be covered or removed for the winter months.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Erik

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Outdoor speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »

Any physical size or performance goals or requirements?  How large an area do they have to cover?  How high would they be mounted?  What type of music?  What would make you decide if they could be removed or not?  Any defined budget?

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »

Any physical size or performance goals or requirements?  How large an area do they have to cover?  How high would they be mounted?  What type of music?  What would make you decide if they could be removed or not?  Any defined budget?

Electro-voice makes a series of weatherproof speakers including the SX80PI, sx300PI and the SX600PI. I personally have used th above and the sound and durability are outstanding.

Hope this is helpful.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »

Community WET series.  You could probably put them in a waterfall and they wouldn't mind.
They have both large and small format boxes and subs too.

Looking for recommendations for outdoor speakers.  Permanent install on a flat un-sheltered south facing wall in Minnesota.  Client wants to use system for a couple mics and pre-recorded music playback.

My concern is durability vis-a-vis weather and getting enough output to work in an outside space.

I suppose it is possible that the speakers could be covered or removed for the winter months.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Erik
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »

Brad is totally correct.

There is NO WAY anybody can make any suggestions based on the data that has been provided.

What if they want 120dB C?  or if the listening distance is 1000'?  We have no idea.

It is like saying "I need a car to go to work-what do you suggest".

We have no idea if mileage is important-or how many people ride with him-is it is along ride and does he need comfort?  does he only have $500  or what if heed needs carry lumber to work-or what?

People can make all kinds of suggestions based on what THEY think the job is-but THEY have no idea what is actually needed or requested.

Sorry to be rude-but that is the way it is.  You CANNOT even begin to do any sort of "design" (or product suggestion) WITHOUT proper details.  Sorry.

Some of the suggestions made might work-but what are they based on?  Have they done a model for coverage and SPL?  Where did they get the information to build the model with?

I guess I am just getting  "picky" in my old age-----------------------------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Outdoor speakers
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »

Brad is totally correct.

I always have this image of a church facilities committee tied in their chairs, in a mostly dark room, with bright lights shining in their eyes, while Brad, dressed in black, looming over them, interrogates them as to their needs and budget.

Of course, at the end of the trying experience, the church gets exactly the best system for their budget.
Jay Barracato

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Re: Outdoor speakers
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »

I always have this image of a church facilities committee tied in their chairs, in a mostly dark room, with bright lights shining in their eyes, while Brad, dressed in black, looming over them, interrogates them as to their needs and budget.

Of course, at the end of the trying experience, the church gets exactly the best system for their budget.
Actually, I suggest they do that to each other before I get there, that way they can save having to pay me to do it!  :)

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »

Pay me, I'll do it! I'll do it!
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

John & Craig, thanks, exactly the kind of response I was looking for.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

John & Craig, thanks, exactly the kind of response I was looking for.
Erik, as one of the manufacturers once pointed out to me there is a difference between a "weatherproof" and a "weather resistant" speaker and many variations on the latter.  There is also a huge range of size, cost and performance for weather resistant speakers.

If you just want common brand names then along with those offered you might want to look at http://www.onesystems.com/.  And JBL, Tannoy, Atlas, Danley and others also offer weather resistant versions of some of their models.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.