ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hazer Purchase Suggestion - Urgent!  (Read 11779 times)

Rufus G. Crowder

Hazer Purchase Suggestion - Urgent!
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »

I will be purchasing a hazer right away and need feedback on following choices:

La Maitre Neutron XS
La Maitre MVS
Ultratech Radiance

It will be in a medium church auditorium environment.

I also would like recommendations on a dealer to purchase it from.  I am ready to order right away!

Josh Daws

Re: Hazer Purchase Suggestion - Urgent!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »

La Maitre Neutron XS
La Maitre MVS
Ultratech Radiance

I also would like recommendations on a dealer to purchase it from.  I am ready to order right away!

the mvs i have had no experience with....the neutrons are known for clogging (the way the heating tube is designed), the radiance i rely on all the time, and i haven't killed one, and super efficient on fluid

Brian Levy

• Levy Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:16:55 AM »

i have a neutron xs.  i wish i bought a radiance... the cleaning cycle and lack of any control besides on and off are extremely annoying.  the haze is great though, same juice for both the neutron and radiance.  get the radiance...

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

La Maitre Neutron XS
La Maitre MVS
Ultratech Radiance

Go with the Ultratech Radiance. The Neutron is supposed to be Le Maitre current Radiance equivalent but really isn't up to par IMO.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »

I have a Radiance and love it.  I've used others (Martin Jem, DF50, Chauvet Arena 2) and the only other one I would recommend would be the DF50.  But since it's around double the price of the Radiance I went with that instead.  I haven't had a single problem, the hang time is great, and particles are very fine (not as fine as the DF50 but still nice).  I've heard really good things about the Unique 2 hazer and have always wanted to try one.  I do need to buy a second hazer myself, so maybe I'll make that one my next hazer purchase.  Go with the Radiance, you won't be disappointed.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »

I have a Radiance and love it.

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

I have a Radiance and love it.
Thanks...Ordered the Radiance...

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »

I purchased a radiance hazer. For very large venues or outdoor venues this unit does the task. The output is incredible and it hardly uses any fluid. I used swamp's haze fluid formula that was designed for the radiance hazer. Even though it was designed for the hazer, I think I should of stuck with the factory brand.

Even on the lowest output setting the radiance hazer was way to powerful for almost all of my Indoor events.  It was more of an output of a fogger than a hazer. There was also a unpleasant smell to it.  The smell and the density of the haze had a lot to due with the fluid  I used.
   We had an act at our club that had a radiance with them.  I suspect they had the radiance fluid in it.  it wasn't as thick and didn't smell nearly as much.  The lowest output setting is still very strong though no matter what the fluid is.

I didn't see where you said the size of your church.  So the radiance may be a good fit for you.  For me it was not.

After seeing an associates Martin k1 do such a great job over and over again.  I sold my radiance after about 8 months and purchased a Martin K1 hazer in 2012 during Martins  "25th anniversary sale "  I got it for around a thousand dollars.   I am so pleased with this unit. It makes the lights look great and it is hardly noticeably in the air because the particulates are so small combined with the controlled air mixture you can have. It has worked well on every stage and room I have used it in so far.  I have not had the unit for a real long amount of time, but I have yet to have any band member or client complain about the haze.
This hazer just goes to work and no one in the audience really notices it or thinks about it. Isn't that the goal ?

Pro's and Con's compared to Radiance ( These are just my experiences, others may feel different )

pro's
Thinnest / finest  haze and the least obtrusive I have dealt with
no haze smell
LCD dmx controll  3 and 5 pin dmx
stand alone controls are simple with all the control you need.
it is very quiet
has a Built in battery
Auto self cleaning  after every shut off or power loss.

Con's compared to the radiance
Larger and Heavier
Uses fluid faster than the fluid sipping radiance
Can be hung but needs the fly kit Eye bolts ( extra cost)
Radiance has a much larger output
The martin is much more expensive but at the time I got it, it was less than the Radiance.

Martin now makes a smaller version of the K1 called the " JEM Compact"   
I can not say anything about it , but it would look in to it as well.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

Even on the lowest output setting the radiance hazer was way to powerful for almost all of my Indoor events.  It was more of an output of a fogger than a hazer.

I had this same problem with the radiance hazer having way too much output so I sent an email off to ultratec and this is the reply I received:

"A couple of things that might help. If you are running in stand-alone mode (from the rear switches) you can only go as low as 1 on the switch and that represents 32 on the DMX data (1-255).

1) If you use a DMX source you can go down to a data of 4 (minimum).

2) If you add a remote to control it you can turn it to minimum and add interval time delay to drop it farther back.

3) We can also offer you a pump that outputs 1/4 of the standard one but you will lose the top end.

I hope this helps.

Don Phillips

Ultratec Special Effects

www.ultratecfx.com

519-951-****"

While waiting for a reply I started diluting the fluid with distilled water with various ratios. I found that 1 part fluid to about 4 parts water gave me the desired amount of haze required for the venue I was working in. It also obviously lost the top end (not needed in my situation) as I suspect pumping in all that water cools the heat exchanger fairly quickly. I continue to use the diluted solution in this hazer 15 hours/week (will be a year on may 18th) and keep non-diluted solution around if the top end is needed.

Disclaimer:  Ultratec had concerns that my method of diluting the solution with water might cause steam build up which could potentially eject hot unvaporized fluid out of the nozzle possibly causing a concern for those very close to the nozzle. After a year of use I have found no such fluid ejection.

The heat exchanger in the radiance is user serviceable (top comes off to expose heating chambers for cleaning) so any concerns about clogging from altering the fluid with water are non-existent.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »

Have you tried any of the Foggy's haze fluids? http://www.froggysfog.com/c=KKbbdT9YqV3Wk8HVBuoyF1SnH/category/10-fluid.20-haze/

They have different densities of haze and fog.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

Have you tried any of the Foggy's haze fluids? http://www.froggysfog.com/c=KKbbdT9YqV3Wk8HVBuoyF1SnH/category/10-fluid.20-haze/

They have different densities of haze and fog.

I have used the froggy's neutronic haze fluid made especially for the radiance and neutron hazers and have found it to be the equivalent to the ultratec's fluid, except $60/gallon cheaper! The radiance and the neutron fluids are mixtures of glycerol and water and that's it, hence why I dilute my fluids with water to lesson the haze effect.
     Their oil based fluids (mineral oil) are definitely not compatible with the radiance or any other heat vaporizer type hazer/foggers. They are designed for oil based crackers (df-50, etc). As far as the other water based fluids they sell, those are water/glycol mixtures designed for traditional fog machines. Although they work similar in principle, I'm not sure that the heat exchanger design or pumping pressure/volume on the radiance is compatible with vaporizing those types of fluids. I suspect it isn't. I wouldn't even think of using them either as they smell and are hydroscopic (they adsorb moisture from the air / eyes / nasal cavities / mouth / throats of vocalists, etc) hence many people complain of being allergic to them. The price of the Radiance is well worth the comfort of getting away from gycol based fluids.

Josh Daws

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

I have used the froggy's neutronic haze fluid made especially for the radiance and neutron hazers and have found it to be the equivalent to the ultratec's fluid, except $60/gallon cheaper! The radiance and the neutron fluids are mixtures of glycerol and water and that's it, hence why I dilute my fluids with water to lesson the haze effect.
     Their oil based fluids (mineral oil) are definitely not compatible with the radiance or any other heat vaporizer type hazer/foggers. They are designed for oil based crackers (df-50, etc). As far as the other water based fluids they sell, those are water/glycol mixtures designed for traditional fog machines. Although they work similar in principle, I'm not sure that the heat exchanger design or pumping pressure/volume on the radiance is compatible with vaporizing those types of fluids. I suspect it isn't. I wouldn't even think of using them either as they smell and are hydroscopic (they adsorb moisture from the air / eyes / nasal cavities / mouth / throats of vocalists, etc) hence many people complain of being allergic to them. The price of the Radiance is well worth the comfort of getting away from gycol based fluids.

the only thing that i would be worried about is that if there was a problem with say the pump under the warranty period they may turn around and say that since you didn't use their spec fluid (diluted or different brand) that you voided the warranty in doing so. i can check this with ultratec, but it is possible...

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »

the only thing that i would be worried about is that if there was a problem with say the pump under the warranty period they may turn around and say that since you didn't use their spec fluid (diluted or different brand) that you voided the warranty in doing so. i can check this with ultratec, but it is possible...

You may have a point but ... how good are you with a Phillips screwdriver and putting 2 zip ties together? The inside of the machine is the simplest thing you ever did see and everything but the heat exchanger is readily available locally. As for the pump : http://www.prolightingsupply.com/ramiflpu12.html its $33. These same pumps are used in every commercial coffee machine on the planet (available from your coffee supplier for probably less than $33) and are designed to handle most any type of fluid. Shipping alone for your warranty coverage would be more than that (its a heavy unit). The air pump in my unit is a brand name (label removed) aquarium pump. The silicone tubing is standard 1/4" aquarium tubing. When it comes to the warrantee on the radiance; I'm not worried about it, I own zip-ties and a screwdriver :) .

Josh Daws

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »

You may have a point but ... how good are you with a Phillips screwdriver and putting 2 zip ties together? The inside of the machine is the simplest thing you ever did see and everything but the heat exchanger is readily available locally. As for the pump : http://www.prolightingsupply.com/ramiflpu12.html its $33. These same pumps are used in every commercial coffee machine on the planet (available from your coffee supplier for probably less than $33) and are designed to handle most any type of fluid. Shipping alone for your warranty coverage would be more than that (its a heavy unit). The air pump in my unit is a brand name (label removed) aquarium pump. The silicone tubing is standard 1/4" aquarium tubing. When it comes to the warrantee on the radiance; I'm not worried about it, I own zip-ties and a screwdriver :) .

...sure...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.