ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL.... Still a good company?  (Read 17241 times)

Jeff Kantor

Re: JBL.... Still a good company?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »

HEAT...
The crossover network most likely can't take the excessive sustained heat it is most likely getting with that much power going into the cab.

Very common issue on the EAW LA325 series cabs, those crossovers used to smoke like crazy with to much power. You had to disconnect the cabs and let them to cool so they would work again!
You could get away with it a few times before parts would actually fail.
So is the answer elimination the xover? The box only comes with a full rang or bi-amp mode  and limits the ability to avoid the xover for the m/f and h/f sections.  I  was in the makings of putting together a new system with 3 of these per side but i dont know if I should pull the plug or just throttle back to 3102's "Assuming" that the amp was the problem. Im really scared to make this purchase.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: JBL.... Still a good company?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:58 pm »

I checked the resistance of the diaphram which was 4.1 ohms, that is the spec for that driver.  JBL contacted me and asked what type of amplification i was using.  Yes I contacted my dealer, and the warrenty center is near Atlanta. 

News update: JBL has agreed to repair but warns future faliers my not be covered due to me "OVER POWERING" the box.  :(  Now im scared.

Jeff,

I could care less about watts, what really matters is voltage. I know plenty of people that run everything off of the same amps; HF, mids, subs. They just limit each band appropriately.

So with that said, I don't see how anyone can tell you that you are overpowering the boxes without knowing what device you are using for limiting and how that device was set.
Jay Barracato

Jeff Kantor

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

Jeff,

I could care less about watts, what really matters is voltage. I know plenty of people that run everything off of the same amps; HF, mids, subs. They just limit each band appropriately.

So with that said, I don't see how anyone can tell you that you are overpowering the boxes without knowing what device you are using for limiting and how that device was set.
I informed Jbl that I was running a dbx driverack 260 with compression at -10 at 4:1, pretty damn safe IMO. I was only using it as a downfill for the center. The warrenty center said they found no visual sighn or "odor" on the crossover network itself. 

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Re: JBL.... Still a good company?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »

I informed Jbl that I was running a dbx driverack 260 with compression at -10 at 4:1, pretty damn safe IMO. I was only using it as a downfill for the center. The warrenty center said they found no visual sighn or "odor" on the crossover network itself.

I meant RMS and peak limiting.
Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »

You should not be compressing the input signal as "system protection" as it does just the opposite: it INCREASES the average voltage going to the amplifier.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »

You should not be compressing the input signal as "system protection" as it does just the opposite: it INCREASES the average voltage going to the amplifier.

OMG!!!  OE!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Kantor

Re: Re: Re: JBL.... Still a good company?
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »

I just hope this was an isolated board falier and not something more.  I really LOVE this box. It absolutly sounds amazing to me even running full range.  If anyone though have some other suggestions for boxes in the same family let me know. Im open to all ideas.  I would like to spend no more that 3,500 for the box and amp combo. 

Jeff Kantor

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »

I use the compression stage to pull it together so that the mix tightens up since it is close proximity to the people in the front rows. What advise would you give me to achive a less dynamic and more or a smooth compressed sound?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 05:00:14 pm »

I use the compression stage to pull it together so that the mix tightens up since it is close proximity to the people in the front rows. What advise would you give me to achive a less dynamic and more or a smooth compressed sound?

Symetrix 421?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Re: Re: JBL.... Still a good company?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 05:02:14 pm »

Do the dbx's even have RMS limiting?

What is the practical use of the Automatic gain control? Speech applications? It doesn't seem useful for much to me. Since it adds gain it seems to be trouble looking for a place to happen.

I, personally, don't compress outputs, especially fills. And it is a mistake to confuse any type of compression with system protection.

Is the system for live use or playback?
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Re: Re: Re: JBL.... Still a good company?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 05:02:14 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.