ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on choosing Mains  (Read 7314 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: Need advice on choosing Mains
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »

Keep in mind how often you are playing out to the larger crowd.  Putting away some rainy day money in the Petty cash of the band will help for when you need to hire the sound company to support your efforts.  Going with a system that will support 90 percent or more of your shows would be the smart buy. 

John Parker

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »

It also possibly speaks to other issues such as assuming that the rating of the amplifier in a powered speaker is the only factor in determining its output and that the mains are the only potential limiting factor in what your current system can achieve.
 Well, there's one thing that may be limiting your current system.  It seeems to be pretty universally accepted to either ignore the automatic tuning wizard or to just use it as a starting point, but to not rely on it for final settings.
 It can be a lot, however understanding that as well as topics such as coverage/patterns, gain structure and so on are important to effectively selecting equipment and operating a system.
 Does, or can, your DRPX have presets for your subs in combination with any of the mains being considered?  If it does then being able to use those presets might represent an advantage over having to come up with your own processor settings.
 This seems to get to the crux of the issue.  What is the dilemma when you have bigger gigs?  What is wrong with your existing system and what types and degree/level of differences are you hoping to achieve?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do. My intention is to Update the firmware and see what presets it comes preloaded with.  We do use the driverack as a starting point to balance the room and the EQ wizard

As to our dilemma/what we hope to achieve:  currently when we have bigger gigs, we need to use all four eons to provide sound for the room, which leaves us with no monitors. So that takes me back to the choice of option 1, buying a pair of true mains, or option 2, buying a smaller set of stage monitors. On the surface it seems like the smart thing would be to buy a pair of true 'mains' and use our eons a stage monitors as this would seem to 'enlarge' our PA system as a whole.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do. My intention is to Update the firmware and see what presets it comes preloaded with.  We do use the driverack as a starting point to balance the room and the EQ wizard

As to our dilemma/what we hope to achieve:  currently when we have bigger gigs, we need to use all four eons to provide sound for the room, which leaves us with no monitors. So that takes me back to the choice of option 1, buying a pair of true mains, or option 2, buying a smaller set of stage monitors. On the surface it seems like the smart thing would be to buy a pair of true 'mains' and use our eons a stage monitors as this would seem to 'enlarge' our PA system as a whole.

My thinking would be to go with some of the JBL PRX600 series speakers(612, 615, 625, or 635) because the rest of your rig is JBL. I've heard plenty of good about them on here; hopefully someone else can provide some more/better insight on what is best. My band is using some older JBL MPro 415's; I'd love to add one or two of the PRX618xlf subs to our rig. :)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »

Keep in mind how often you are playing out to the larger crowd.  Putting away some rainy day money in the Petty cash of the band will help for when you need to hire the sound company to support your efforts.  Going with a system that will support 90 percent or more of your shows would be the smart buy.

This is good advice.  Smaller shows likely won't pay enough to hire a sound guy, so having gear that can accomplish that is a good plan.  When you start to get to bigger shows, you need bigger gear and things start to get more complicated.  If you hire a sound company, they likely will have a selection of gear that they can pick from that would fit your particular show.  What would happen if you bought some speakers, but then you had a show that THEY couldn't keep up with?  You'd end up hiring out anyway, and your investment is sitting unused.

The JBL eons are a pretty decent match for the JRX subs.  Neither is capable of anything huge, but can work fine in smaller situations.  It sounds like you've grown to the point where you'll either need to invest serious coin to make any major difference, or hire out for the jobs you want to do.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.