ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator power for our rig?  (Read 17406 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 09:40:48 pm »

We've got a Mackie 808s powered mixer that pushes our JBL MPro mains; I mix with a Mackie Onyx 1640. The powered mixer pulls 325 watts according to the rear panel and the Onyx pulls 80(no monitors besides the instrument amps). We might be able to get by on a 2kw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Honda 2000 puts out 16.5 amps.  The 3000 about 23.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:22 pm »

Check with hertz equipment rental.

Edit - I was just checking locally here in MD and a company called production zone in Dallas popped up in the search.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:04:54 pm by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 10:29:23 pm »

I found a place in Athens(outside of Tyler) that has eu2000i's so I'll probably go that route. Do you think one will power the gear I listed? Adding up the wattage requirements of my gear it appears that it will. Even if I need two that will still be cheaper and easier that getting something bigger in Dallas.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:59 pm »

yep. I've run a rig at least that size plus a few lights on mine and I don't even think it went out of eco mode. Of course that was just a duo but I really think you'll be fine.
Ryan Davis

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 11:51:13 pm »

How much you need will depend on how loud you turn things up.  At low volumes, you'd be surprised how little your current draws.  But when you crank things up, demands go up quickly.

The tricky thing with generators is that they take time to ramp up to speed to deliver power when its asked for.  Audio's demands tend to be in peaks.  Some generators can't react fast enough.  Good amps will have larger capacitor reserves, so they can handle sags and catch up when the generator is ready.

When it comes to sizing generators, I generally recommend adding up the needs for sound, and then pick a generator that's rated at least twice that power.  With generators, bigger is pretty much always better.  The cost difference to get a bigger size usually isn't that dramatic either.
Brian Jojade

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 12:00:05 am »

yep. I've run a rig at least that size plus a few lights on mine and I don't even think it went out of eco mode. Of course that was just a duo but I really think you'll be fine.

That's good to hear. From what I can tell the 2kw generator should at least 80% more power than I should need with the rig running pretty hard(which I suspect it will be). If I can find an appropriate 3kw I'll get it to be safe but locally it appears that I'll be stuck with a 2kw.

Mark Gensman

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 01:48:24 am »

Home Depot rents a Briggs & Stratton 2000 watt inverter generator. One would most likely fit your needs, but I would rent two of them and put the PA on one and the amps on the other.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:35 am »

It is not advisable to run anything which does not have a constant draw in "Eco" mode.  You should be running it in the constant rpm mode, especially if any of your amps are Class D. 

I have personally seen Class D power supplies fail in eco mode.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Sabine

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:51 am »

Ok.. My logic may be flawed so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't using 2 generators on system that are or may become interconnected dangerous? I know that there have always been extensive safety measures to make sure that all power on the shared grids of the US is synchronized. Why should it be any different for generators?

Home Depot rents a Briggs & Stratton 2000 watt inverter generator. One would most likely fit your needs, but I would rent two of them and put the PA on one and the amps on the other.
"I think it needs more barn"

John Sabine

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:36:46 am »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:40:25 am by John Sabine »
"I think it needs more barn"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:36:46 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.