ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator power for our rig?  (Read 17376 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Generator power for our rig?
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:42:10 pm »

Just found out that my band will be playing an outdoor gig this weekend and will be using a generator(provided by the event promoters, rented from Home Depot). Our rig consists of:

• Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer(80 watts max)
  • Mackie 808 mixer/amp(for it's power amps, 325 watts)
  • two comps and an effects processor in the FOH rack(don't know the wattage off the top of my head)
  • around 5 guitar amps(most are small, largest are a Peavey bass combo amp and a Crate 120 watt combo amp)
  • a couple of laptops and some effects pedals on stage

I was told there are two generators available, a 3000 watt and a 6500 watt. It looks like everything should run off of the smaller one but I wanted to check with some people who do this more often than me. The gig is a benefit for a Non-Profit and the promoter would rather get the smaller one if it will work, but if it's too small we can get the larger one. The band will be playing for around 45min if it matters.

Thanks,
Tommy

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:05:27 pm »

Just found out that my band will be playing an outdoor gig this weekend and will be using a generator(provided by the event promoters, rented from Home Depot). Our rig consists of:

• Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer(80 watts max)
  • Mackie 808 mixer/amp(for it's power amps, 325 watts)
  • two comps and an effects processor in the FOH rack(don't know the wattage off the top of my head)
  • around 5 guitar amps(most are small, largest are a Peavey bass combo amp and a Crate 120 watt combo amp)
  • a couple of laptops and some effects pedals on stage

I was told there are two generators available, a 3000 watt and a 6500 watt. It looks like everything should run off of the smaller one but I wanted to check with some people who do this more often than me. The gig is a benefit for a Non-Profit and the promoter would rather get the smaller one if it will work, but if it's too small we can get the larger one. The band will be playing for around 45min if it matters.

Thanks,
Tommy

Stop right there. 

Home Depot rents contruction-grade generators.  Do not attempt to run any gear you value from such stuff.

Search the Forum for threads on generators.  This warning has come up time and time again.  You need a real events-capable generator or something with a quality inverter certified for "computer safe" power.  The Honda "i" or "is" generators are the only small generators I know of which are capable of providing clean, safe power for your audio gear. 

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:21:38 pm »

Stop right there. 

Home Depot rents contruction-grade generators.  Do not attempt to run any gear you value from such stuff.

Search the Forum for threads on generators.  This warning has come up time and time again.  You need a real events-capable generator or something with a quality inverter certified for "computer safe" power.  The Honda "i" or "is" generators are the only small generators I know of which are capable of providing clean, safe power for your audio gear. 

Thanks, I've heard of computer safe generators(used to work in a tractor shop that was a Honda dealer) but I didn't think about needing one for this. I'll have to look for a better option; do most rental places carry such generators?

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »

I just had another thought, about how big should the generator be?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:48 pm »

Thanks, I've heard of computer safe generators(used to work in a tractor shop that was a Honda dealer) but I didn't think about needing one for this. I'll have to look for a better option; do most rental places carry such generators?

No.  A professional level event power place will have the kind you need, but they probably start at around 15KW, run on diesel and require an electrical inspection.

Where are you located?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »

No.  A professional level event power place will have the kind you need, but they probably start at around 15KW, run on diesel and require an electrical inspection.

Where are you located?

The event is located in Tyler, TX. I'd say a 15kw diesel would be a major overkill. I'm hoping that someone in town will have to one of those Hondas you mentioned above because I don't see them wanting to get/pay for a generator that large. The event is a 5k run and they wanted us to play some music while people are signing up.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Re: Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »

The event is located in Tyler, TX. I'd say a 15kw diesel would be a major overkill. I'm hoping that someone in town will have to one of those Hondas you mentioned above because I don't see them wanting to get/pay for a generator that large. The event is a 5k run and they wanted us to play some music while people are signing up.

Here you go:

http://www.rentalstops.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=3&key=GEN3000

These are the ones I use most often for small jobs.  Honday EU3000is. 

I Googled "generator rental dallas tx".  I'll look to see if I can find something closer.  But these are the ones you want and the price isn't bad.......if you can pick it up.  You'll know better than I do what towns have branches of Dallas rental houses.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Re: Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

Here you go:

http://www.rentalstops.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=3&key=GEN3000

These are the ones I use most often for small jobs.  Honday EU3000is. 

I Googled "generator rental dallas tx".  I'll look to see if I can find something closer.  But these are the ones you want and the price isn't bad.......if you can pick it up.  You'll know better than I do what towns have branches of Dallas rental houses.

Thanks Dick, I appreciate all the help. I'll do some calling tomorrow and see what I can find. I know there are several fairly large rental houses in Tyler and more in Longview (both closer than Dallas).

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Re: Re: Re: Generator power for our rig?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:28:15 pm »

Thanks Dick, I appreciate all the help. I'll do some calling tomorrow and see what I can find. I know there are several fairly large rental houses in Tyler and more in Longview (both closer than Dallas).

I can't find anything smaller than 25KV closer than Dallas.  Frankly, I was surprised to find anyone at all who is renting the Honda "is" series larger than the 2K model.  that one is the most common, computer safe generator commonly in rental.

You listed instruments, but is there also PA?
\

Good luck.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »

I can't find anything smaller than 25KV closer than Dallas.  Frankly, I was surprised to find anyone at all who is renting the Honda "is" series larger than the 2K model.  that one is the most common, computer safe generator commonly in rental.

You listed instruments, but is there also PA?
\

Good luck.

We've got a Mackie 808s powered mixer that pushes our JBL MPro mains; I mix with a Mackie Onyx 1640. The powered mixer pulls 325 watts according to the rear panel and the Onyx pulls 80(no monitors besides the instrument amps). We might be able to get by on a 2kw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.