ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: best sub enclosures for my application ?  (Read 37557 times)

dave celko

Re: best sub enclosures for my application ? Some advice to think about
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »

Were you using A or C scale and fast or slow response?  There is no such thing as 102dB-it HAS to have other factors associated with it to have any meaning. 

All the 102 tells you is that the measurement is 102dB louder than something.  What is that something?  This is where simple numbers get you in trouble.

I assume that was with the amp at clip?  If not then what was the power level-how was it measured?

All of these "things" REALLY matter-IF you are going to try to make any kind of comparisom

DATA IS IMPORTANT-if you are going to convey any sort of technical information.

a scale  on fast
i kept the amp just below clipping it would just barley start to light up the clip led and i mean just start to light it

when u say that the measurement has to have other factors could u eleborate some more ?
the room was silent other then the subs , well except for some ratlles of the few windows in the room

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »

just wieghing my options is all, that and im missing one piece of vital equipment , a table saw, the lab sub looks like it has alot of cuts that i would really want a table saw for.

Then why are you even looking at the other two designs from the Speakerplans website?  You've alluded that you could build cabinets by asking about the LabSub and showing us possible choices from Speakerplans-what else was I or anyone else here to conclude?

To repeat what Ivan has said, you need to work on defining your needs.  And in spite of the AB amplifier being more powerful, and a better product, don't expect miracles.

Best regards,

John

dave celko

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »

Then why are you even looking at the other two designs from the Speakerplans website?  You've alluded that you could build cabinets by asking about the LabSub and showing us possible choices from Speakerplans-what else was I or anyone else here to conclude?

To repeat what Ivan has said, you need to work on defining your needs.  And in spite of the AB amplifier being more powerful, and a better product, don't expect miracles.

Best regards,

John

i could build the lab sub with the tools i have its just wont be as easy( never said i wouldnt consider doing it, Infact i just priced up how much it would cost as im really leaning twards building as pair of them).And who do u know that just settles in on one thing before looking at the different options ?

im working on getting to the point of figuring out exactly what we need , im just trying to make an informed and correct decision on what to either buy or build 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »

a scale  on fast
i kept the amp just below clipping it would just barley start to light up the clip led and i mean just start to light it

when u say that the measurement has to have other factors could u eleborate some more ?
the room was silent other then the subs , well except for some ratlles of the few windows in the room
I would go to the C scale.  A rolls off the low end and was never intended for use above around 85dB or so.

You are just reading the very upper end of the subs with A scale.

That is a good point to run the amp-I just just wanted to make sure you were running it to the max.

Just to give you an idea of how the different "parameters" make a difference.

On one particular show with a band that was pretty constant in level and measured at FOH (about 85' away) with the same meter-during the same song etc I got the following readings.

A slow  around 106-108dB
C slow around 118-120dB
C fast around 126-128dB
C peak around 136dB.

So as you can see-with the same input and the same measurement position you can get VERY different results-depending on what "settings" you use on the meter.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

dave celko

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »

I would go to the C scale.  A rolls off the low end and was never intended for use above around 85dB or so.

You are just reading the very upper end of the subs with A scale.

That is a good point to run the amp-I just just wanted to make sure you were running it to the max.

Just to give you an idea of how the different "parameters" make a difference.

On one particular show with a band that was pretty constant in level and measured at FOH (about 85' away) with the same meter-during the same song etc I got the following readings.

A slow  around 106-108dB
C slow around 118-120dB
C fast around 126-128dB
C peak around 136dB.

So as you can see-with the same input and the same measurement position you can get VERY different results-depending on what "settings" you use on the meter.

my amp got delayed and wont be here till tomorrow, theres to many ppl in the building right now for me to remeasure with my spl metter on the c scale so ill either come back later tongiht when the place is empty or do it first thing tommorow morning while im waiting for fedex to deliver my new amp.
once the amp gets here ill hook that up and test again to do a comparison between the 2 

on a side note ive been pricing up drivers and materials for the lab subs and these are looking really attractive to build at this point, i was thinking i could only afford to build them one at a time but it looks like i can do a pair at once

dave celko

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »

it cleared out for a few mins so i just retested with my spl meter

c scale on fast
was averaging 108db with peaks of 112db

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »

on a side note ive been pricing up drivers and materials for the lab subs and these are looking really attractive to build at this point, i was thinking i could only afford to build them one at a time but it looks like i can do a pair at once
It is not going to be easy to build the lab subs with the tools you have-at least build them right so they don't leak (a major problem with DIY speaker cabinets).

It is not exactly easy with a good table saw-and the knowledge/skill how to use it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

dave celko

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »

It is not going to be easy to build the lab subs with the tools you have-at least build them right so they don't leak (a major problem with DIY speaker cabinets).

It is not exactly easy with a good table saw-and the knowledge/skill how to use it.

im going to take my time and make sure everything is right,there is a cabinet making company in town here that i just found out about so im sure if i need i can get them to make some of the cuts ill need

i took 4 years of woodshop when i was younger so im not a total newbie to wood working, and by trade im a welder/fabricator, though i will admit when working with metal if u cut something wrong that needs to be welded together its typically not a big deal, not so much with wood lol

dave celko

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »

one of my new ab intl amps showed up today its was the 600a not the 1100a and man even with the amp in stereo @ 270w rms each channel it kills that pos amp i was using. i mean night and day difference
im thinking when the second 600a shows up i will run each one bridged to a single 18 and just put the 1100a on the shelf for now

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

one of my new ab intl amps showed up today its was the 600a not the 1100a and man even with the amp in stereo @ 270w rms each channel it kills that pos amp i was using. i mean night and day difference
im thinking when the second 600a shows up i will run each one bridged to a single 18 and just put the 1100a on the shelf for now
There are all kinds of ways that manufacturers can "stretch" specs.  They are just trying to get people who are easily impressed with "numbers" to somehow believe that their numbers are "better" and make a sale.

Not all specs are the same-hence the reason for looking a bit deeper to get to the real story.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.