ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: best sub enclosures for my application ?  (Read 37554 times)

dave celko

best sub enclosures for my application ?
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »

as some of u may have read from my post in the lounge i originally bought 2 seismic audio enforcer 2's which aparently arent real good or enough.
i was also mistaken on the room size its not 3,000 sq ft its closer to 2,300.
we currently hold 2 dance/partys a month and the main music played is techno/dubstep/hiphop.
i would love to build my own enclosures and load them with good drivers, but im stuck on deciding which way i should go as far as folded horn/bass reflex/bandpass etc style enclosures

any feedback or suggestions + pros and cons on each style of enclosure will be greatly apreciated.

size and wieghts of enclosures are of no concern as this will be a permanent install

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: best sub enclosures for my application ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »

What are the actual dimensions of the room.  That will affect the answers that you get.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
best sub enclosures for my application ?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

What is your motivation for not buying something off the shelf? All good, just wondering - DIY spirit, or trying to save money?

dave celko

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »

What is your motivation for not buying something off the shelf? All good, just wondering - DIY spirit, or trying to save money?

ill get u exact room measurments later today

i love building my own stuff,saving money is just an added bonus

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »

ill get u exact room measurments later today

i love building my own stuff,saving money is just an added bonus
As long as it is done right.

And there is a good bit to doing it right-and not just making sound.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: best sub enclosures for my application ? Some advice to think about
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »

as some of u may have read from my post in the lounge i originally bought 2 seismic audio enforcer 2's which aparently arent real good or enough.
i was also mistaken on the room size its not 3,000 sq ft its closer to 2,300.
we currently hold 2 dance/partys a month and the main music played is techno/dubstep/hiphop.
i would love to build my own enclosures and load them with good drivers, but im stuck on deciding which way i should go as far as folded horn/bass reflex/bandpass etc style enclosures

any feedback or suggestions + pros and cons on each style of enclosure will be greatly apreciated.

size and wieghts of enclosures are of no concern as this will be a permanent install
"Best" means may different things.

YOU and ONLY YOU have to start to put some parameters on what YOU are willing to deal with in YOUR application.

THe size of the room has nothing to do with it.  What IS important are the following:  What is the largest size YOU are willing to move around?  What about weight?is that an issue?  Can you deal with 300+ lb cabinets?

By your style of music-we know you want low and loud.   That does not come cheap.  What is YOUR budget?  for complete cabinets or materials if you DIY?

When considering budget-you ALSO have to include amplifiers.  If you have small amps-then you should go with horn loaded cabinets-but that means large and heavy (in order to get deep bass).

If you have have big amps-then you can go with front loaded (generally smaller and lighter), but you will need more of them (AND amplifiers) to get as loud.

Have you considered AC power for the amps?  How much do you have available?  That will also greatly affect how much sound you can get before tripping breakers.

You HAVE to clearly define the target-BEFORE you start jumping in all directions.  What do YOU have, that you can deal with?

It doesn't matter what "the best" is-if you can't afford it or move it around.  What is best for one person in an application is totally wrong for another.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

dave celko

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

"Best" means may different things.

YOU and ONLY YOU have to start to put some parameters on what YOU are willing to deal with in YOUR application.

THe size of the room has nothing to do with it.  What IS important are the following:  What is the largest size YOU are willing to move around?  What about weight?is that an issue?  Can you deal with 300+ lb cabinets?

By your style of music-we know you want low and loud.   That does not come cheap.  What is YOUR budget?  for complete cabinets or materials if you DIY?

When considering budget-you ALSO have to include amplifiers.  If you have small amps-then you should go with horn loaded cabinets-but that means large and heavy (in order to get deep bass).

If you have have big amps-then you can go with front loaded (generally smaller and lighter), but you will need more of them (AND amplifiers) to get as loud.

Have you considered AC power for the amps?  How much do you have available?  That will also greatly affect how much sound you can get before tripping breakers.

You HAVE to clearly define the target-BEFORE you start jumping in all directions.  What do YOU have, that you can deal with?

It doesn't matter what "the best" is-if you can't afford it or move it around.  What is best for one person in an application is totally wrong for another.

power is not an issue i have 4 20 amp and 2 30 amp circuts available right now along with a bunch of 15 amp circuts.

budget is a lil small right now as i just purchased an ab intl 1100a and 2 600a amps

i dont care about size or wieght as once the enclosures are installed they wont be moved 

if i went with horn loaded cabs how many would we be talking versus front loaded cabs?

i do have a question on the horns though from what ive been reading the bass doesnt really come alive until 20-40 ft from the front of the horn .Is this true?

if i budgeted say 300ish per driver how good of a driver could i get ? or do i need to spend more or less per driver.

what is the average cost of materials for the average horn cab?

dave celko

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »

specs on the 3 amps we just bought

the smaller 600a's
have 2 of theese now

Two channel amplifier
    270w per channel @ 8 ohms
    425w per channel @ 4 ohms
    750w @ bridged mono @ 8 ohms
    2 1/4" phone jacks (unbalanced)
    Dual 5-way binding posts
    Passive cooling
    Weight 31 lbs

and the big one is the 1100a

Two channel amplifier
    525wpc @ 8 ohms
    850wpc @ 4 ohms
    1100wpc @ 2 ohms
    1300w bridged mono at 8 ohms
    1700w bridged mono at 4 ohms
    "Logic Operated Gated Output" supply system
    Internal 2 speed cooling fan
    XLR / 1/4" input jacks
    3 Rack space
    "Soft Clip" speaker protection circuitry
    High current, fully complimentary output stages

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »

if i went with horn loaded cabs how many would we be talking versus front loaded cabs?

i do have a question on the horns though from what ive been reading the bass doesnt really come alive until 20-40 ft from the front of the horn .Is this true?

if i budgeted say 300ish per driver how good of a driver could i get ? or do i need to spend more or less per driver.

what is the average cost of materials for the average horn cab?
It is not a simple matter of how many of one style vs another-but rather what type of design/drivers etc.

You need to compare ACTUAL specs-REAL -3dB points-REAL sensitivity etc.

The horn cabinets are going to be larger-and louder.

Where have you been reading that the bass out of a horn doesn't "come alive" till further away? And before you mention the size of the wavelength and how large it is-then be prepared to explain how you are able to get bass in your car or your headphones-which distances are very small when compared to the wavelength.

It is not so much the driver (especially in a horn) but rather how it is used.  The driver/horn relationship IS VERY CRITICAL- YOU CANNOT simply swap drivers or put a "better" driver in a horn and expect it to work better.

A lab sub will generally run around $1000 per cab (depending on how much you pay for your materials) if you do it right-real wood- finishing etc and you supply the labor for free.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

dave celko

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

It is not a simple matter of how many of one style vs another-but rather what type of design/drivers etc.

You need to compare ACTUAL specs-REAL -3dB points-REAL sensitivity etc.

The horn cabinets are going to be larger-and louder.

Where have you been reading that the bass out of a horn doesn't "come alive" till further away? And before you mention the size of the wavelength and how large it is-then be prepared to explain how you are able to get bass in your car or your headphones-which distances are very small when compared to the wavelength.

It is not so much the driver (especially in a horn) but rather how it is used.  The driver/horn relationship IS VERY CRITICAL- YOU CANNOT simply swap drivers or put a "better" driver in a horn and expect it to work better.

A lab sub will generally run around $1000 per cab (depending on how much you pay for your materials) if you do it right-real wood- finishing etc and you supply the labor for free.

ur part about the being able to et bass in the car or headphones makes sense and clears up what i have been reading in certain places about horn's

any recommendation on a decent driver that has pre made plans for a horn enclosure, im not sure if i could come up with the dimensions and layout for a horn on my own as ive never done one , now on the other hand a bandpass or bass reflex im confident i could come up with my own based on speaker specs just like we do in the car audio world

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.