ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering SRX 728 Cabinet  (Read 7875 times)

Josh Brewer

Powering SRX 728 Cabinet
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »

I am currently running 2 of these boxes.  Each is powered by a qsc plx 3002, bridged.  I have been told that moving to one rmx 5050 or pl 6.0 running both of the cabs together stereo would be a significant difference.  However, when I look at the specs of these 2 amps running stereo, I just don't see how there could be a "significant" difference in a real world environment.  Is there something I am missing here?  I realize that they are built using a different technology and store power differently and that overall adding more boxes produces better results...I just want to get the most out of each box.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ramiro Garcia

Re: Powering SRX 728 Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »

I am currently running 2 of these boxes.  Each is powered by a qsc plx 3002, bridged.  I have been told that moving to one rmx 5050 or pl 6.0 running both of the cabs together stereo would be a significant difference.  However, when I look at the specs of these 2 amps running stereo, I just don't see how there could be a "significant" difference in a real world environment.  Is there something I am missing here?  I realize that they are built using a different technology and store power differently and that overall adding more boxes produces better results...I just want to get the most out of each box.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Go with pl 6.0.  I've used both in the past and I like the pl sound.  We are now using Powersoft K10 and the 728 sound like a whole new sub.  The 728 really needs lots of clean power to make it come alive. Good luck

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

I am currently running 2 of these boxes.  Each is powered by a qsc plx 3002, bridged.  I have been told that moving to one rmx 5050 or pl 6.0 running both of the cabs together stereo would be a significant difference.  However, when I look at the specs of these 2 amps running stereo, I just don't see how there could be a "significant" difference in a real world environment.  Is there something I am missing here?
You may want to check out my  review of the Speakerpower SP 4000:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,2101.0.html

It gives some insight as to why specs don't tell the whole story for subs, since duty cycle is generally not part of the amp's specification.

I have not checked out the QSC PLX 3002, but if it is like the PLX 3602, it does not have a long enough duty cycle for sub use, other amps with lesser power ratings (but longer "old school" duty cycle) performed as good or better.

Josh Brewer

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  What would your thoughts be on something like a crown xti6002?  I can get one new for a few hundred bucks more than a used pl6.0...If I go that route, am I back in the same boat with a light grade amp that won't produce as much?  Thanks for the help.

You may want to check out my  review of the Speakerpower SP 4000:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,2101.0.html

It gives some insight as to why specs don't tell the whole story for subs, since duty cycle is generally not part of the amp's specification.

I have not checked out the QSC PLX 3002, but if it is like the PLX 3602, it does not have a long enough duty cycle for sub use, other amps with lesser power ratings (but longer "old school" duty cycle) performed as good or better.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  What would your thoughts be on something like a crown xti6002?  I can get one new for a few hundred bucks more than a used pl6.0...If I go that route, am I back in the same boat with a light grade amp that won't produce as much?  Thanks for the help.
As I said in the review, I won't buy another sub amp without doing an A/B comparison.
Having not tried the xti6002, can't give you any insight as to it's comparative performance.

Kyle R Forbes

• Erie, PA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »

I would steer away from the xti series for heavy sub use, you can get a used Itech or PL and be ahead Imho. I am no expert but I did see a significant difference going from xti to a Crest Pro9200 in stereo.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Powering SRX 728 Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »

I would steer away from the xti series for heavy sub use, you can get a used Itech or PL and be ahead Imho. I am no expert but I did see a significant difference going from xti to a Crest Pro9200 in stereo.

Several people have said around here that the XTI2 amps are really different products than the old XTI, which many people did complain about on sub duty. I'd specify which on you are referring to.

Kyle R Forbes

• Erie, PA
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »

Several people have said around here that the XTI2 amps are really different products than the old XTI, which many people did complain about on sub duty. I'd specify which on you are referring to.

Sorry, this is why I rarely post here, I was running the original xti's.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Powering SRX 728 Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »

Sorry, this is why I rarely post here, I was running the original xti's.

No big deal, no reason not to post. Just worth mentioning.

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

Go with pl 6.0.  I've used both in the past and I like the pl sound.  We are now using Powersoft K10 and the 728 sound like a whole new sub.  The 728 really needs lots of clean power to make it come alive. Good luck

Little question while we are on this subject, what about bridging a QSC PL4.0 pers 728 ? is it comparable sonically to a powersoft or pl6/pl9 ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.