ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX termination madness  (Read 5269 times)

Dave Potter

DMX termination madness
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:29:34 AM »

So, I'm still new to all of this and since buying a pair of Chauvet LEDslim Par 56 and a pair of LEDJ Tripar 56 I have not had a chance to use them (band misbehaving  ::) ).  I decided to test them with my new Acme 0408 controller.  All set to different (correct) addresses, daisy chained, and terminated with a 120ohm plug. 

Result:- flashy, crazy colour madness! I removed the terminator and all was sweet.  I checked the terminator and it is wired corectly with a 120ohm across pins 2 and 3.  So what am I missing?

Jordan Wolf

Re: DMX termination madness
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »

Dave,

Are you using it at the end of your signal path?  Also, some devices have built-in termination…check on that.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Josh Daws

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »

most (newer) fixtures will have self termination. negates the use of even needing one.

its good to have in your bag of tricks, but rarely is it necessary to actually use one. unless you are on "larger rigs"

Dave Potter

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »

Self termination?  That sounds cool ..... and electrically magic.  How can every fixture terminate if there is a subsequent fixture?

Randall Hyde

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »

Self termination?  That sounds cool ..... and electrically magic.  How can every fixture terminate if there is a subsequent fixture?

They sense whether downstream devices have a terminator and add/remove the terminator as appropriate.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:08:01 PM »

most (newer) fixtures will have self termination. negates the use of even needing one.
no, they don't

Terminators cause as many problems as they solve. I put together hundreds of lighting rigs and can't remember the last time I actually used one, but they're always in my work box.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Dave Potter

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:31:02 AM »

can't remember the last time I actually used one, but they're always in my work box.
Electronically, this makes sense to me - and might even solve a network control problem at my day job.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 01:34:27 AM »

So, I'm still new to all of this and since buying a pair of Chauvet LEDslim Par 56 and a pair of LEDJ Tripar 56 I have not had a chance to use them (band misbehaving  ::) ).  I decided to test them with my new Acme 0408 controller.  All set to different (correct) addresses, daisy chained, and terminated with a 120ohm plug. 

Result:- flashy, crazy colour madness! I removed the terminator and all was sweet.  I checked the terminator and it is wired corectly with a 120ohm across pins 2 and 3.  So what am I missing?

Cable type and length?  DMX termination is all about controlling reflections of the digital control signal.  Having mismatched or non DMX rated cables can also cause problems.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 01:34:27 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.