ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux based DMX lighting software  (Read 23515 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Linux based DMX lighting software
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »

I searched the forum and found this link relating to DMX lighting software:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,87367.msg803782.html#msg803782

At the bottom of that thread, there's a few links for other FREE DMX software, but only one Linux based is shown.

Looks like there is plenty of Windows options available, though, I'm not a Windows person (all UNIX and Linux).  Google shows some other Linux options (free software), but I'm not having much luck finding reviews on them.

Anyone else use Linux for their DMX software?  What are your thoughts on its setup and use?  Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Josh Daws

Re: Linux based DMX lighting software
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »

chamsys is about one of the only reputable (IMO) company that has software for linux based systems. its called MagicPC...there isnt' much at all...primarily it is all windows based...time to change  :P

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »

Anyone else use Linux for their DMX software?  What are your thoughts on its setup and use?  Any recommendations?

I personally use QLC+ -- it's nowhere near pro consoles (WholeHog, avo) but for starters it's both easy to learn and still quite powerful. One of the best features is you can create your own "virtual console". It supports Linux, Windows and OSX, so you can run it more or less anywhere.

I use it for a small rig consisting of 4 LED wash heads, 2 LED bars and 8 PAR56s. I have enttec open DMX + behringer BCF2000 + touch screen.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »

Looks like there is plenty of Windows options available, though, I'm not a Windows person (all UNIX and Linux).  Google shows some other Linux options (free software), but I'm not having much luck finding reviews on them.

Ultimately, I'm a big fan of dropping OS religions when there is real work to be done. I'm a Mac person, but I've purchased PCs (Windows) to run both my lights (LightFactory) and Sound (SAC). I wish *good* products like these were available on Linux or Mac OS, but the bottom line is that I'm not willing to sacrifice the quality of my shows because I have a hatred of all things Microsoft (I don't really, I use Windows all the time at work, but I'd far prefer my personal stuff to be on a Mac or Linux).

Go for the *best* lighting desk software you can buy and purchase whatever computer+OS+control surfaces it takes to run that software.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Robert Weston

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Most of my shows don't require too much complexity (or timing).  The QLC+ may be the right choice.  I have separate controllers for my current lighting, however, I need something that I can show someone how to run (in a short amount of time).  I'm not too much involved with religious OS discussions, but in my personal (and professional) experience, MAC, Linux/UNIX has never presented issues; which is why I stay on the *NIX side of computing.  For Linux running the lighting software, I'm just trying to reduce my exposure to potential issues.

Robert Weston

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Looks like I'm going to need a USB to DMX controller.  The Enttec DMX USB pro shows up a lot on searches.  Anyone have experience with the Enttec using Linux?  I would like to use either QLC+ or Chamsys, but wasn't sure if there are issues with either piece of software when using the Enttec DMX USB device.

Josh Daws

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »

i have had no issue with the enttec boxes.

Robert Weston

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »

Hey all - I'm starting to use the QLC+ software on a Linux laptop.  Does this software allow for the manual configuration of the profiles?  For example, if I select one of the pre-defined fixtures, does the ability exist to modify that pre-defined configuration to have it better match the type of lighting I'm actually using?

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »

Hey all - I'm starting to use the QLC+ software on a Linux laptop.  Does this software allow for the manual configuration of the profiles?  For example, if I select one of the pre-defined fixtures, does the ability exist to modify that pre-defined configuration to have it better match the type of lighting I'm actually using?

It comes with a Fixture Editor - you can open your "model" fixture, edit as needed, and save under new name. You can also start from scratch.
You'll find some info in the online docs ("help") or on github.
If you get stuck, ask me or in the QLC+ forum. And if you succeed at creating new fixture definition, please post it here.

The "system" fixture defs are located at /usr/share/qlcplus/fixtures and save yours to ~/.qlcplus/fixtures so that QLC+ finds it.

Robert Weston

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »

Many thanks Jano!

I saw the Fixture Editor sitting in /usr/bin though, thought it needed to be called from within qlcplus.  Looks like I've got a lot of "editing" to do!  And yes, I will post any definitions I end up creating.

Thanks again,
Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.