ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AV Recording church service for website  (Read 4798 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: AV Recording church service for website
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:45:29 am »

It requires time stamping for long recording. I do short recordings and it's no problem. Check this post from Avid, same question- http://goo.gl/4yLLC
Maybe I misunderstood it but the referenced Avid thread seems to be discussing using the camera as a LTC generator and recording the time code on the ProTools audio so the audio and video can later be synced via LTC.  That is a good way to accomplish what is desired but it does not seem directly relevant to the system and approach being described here.

The length of program and potential 'drift' between separate audio and video or two different audio recorders may be relevant.  If you are dealing with only the Pastor's message or something like that then that may be technically and legally different than trying to record an entire service, music performances or special events.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 01:46:12 pm »

Okay, for once i actually have something useful to contribute...  :)

We do exactly what you're trying to do at our church, so we've figured out a few things.  So here's some thoughts.

1.  Copyright issues come into play as soon as you put musical performances on the web.  Copyright Solvers [Google is your friend] has a specific license that allows you to place basically any song PERFORMED by YOUR CHURCH on the web.  Note that you cannot have the words to the song on the screen.  Different license.  Also, you cannot change any of the content of a song.  Arrangement changes are fine, but some churches sometimes like to take secular songs and alter some of the lyrics for their service.  Fine for the service.  NOT fine for broadcast.  Just something to know.  There are no copyright issues with webcasting your messages.

2.  Good audio is really important and the thing most churches get the most wrong.  Multitracking your services has now become something that can be done very cheaply.  Someone suggested an X32, which is what we use.  I multi-track all our services on to a computer and remix all the audio tracks specifically for webcast and DVD use.  You can use a stereo mix taken straight from your FOH board, but you'll never really be happy with it.

3.  I record a direct FOH board feed to our video recorder and use this as a 'guide track' to manually sync my remixed audio up during editing.  This is really easy once you've done it a few times and is in fact the way that most people do it now.  While it is technically possible for things to 'drift' if they were recorded on different machines, the reality is that with modern digital recorders this drift is negligible.  i've never had an issue with this, even on programs approaching 2 hours.  Humans can actually tolerate quite a bit of difference in timing between their video and audio, so while things might drift by a couple of milliseconds, you'll never notice it.  In short, don't sweat timecode at this point in the game.  you don't need it.

3.  Tools for this have gotten pretty cheap.  I use Macs exclusively, but there are PC options as well.  I use Reaper as my DAW [70 bucks or so] and Final Cut ProX as my Video editor [about 300 bucks].  One halfway decent Computer can record multitrack audio, remix, and do your video editing. 

4.  For Video recording, i'd recommend the Blackmagic Designs Hyperdeck studio.  We tried several different computer based solutions, but all failed us in one way or another.  The BMD HyperDeck solves all that.

5.  One camera is gonna make for a very dull thing to watch, especially for music.  2 cameras is WAY more than twice as good.  with clever switching, 2 cameras can look like a LOT more.  You can shoot them independently and edit them in post, or run them through an inexpensive switcher [Again BMD has some good solutions here].  We do the latter.  3 Cameras is another exponential step up.  Caution:  video can easily become a black hole to pour money into.  Just sayin'...

6.  If you can at all avoid it, DO NOT do iMag.  iMag is simply putting your video cameras on video screens for people to watch during the service.  Trust me, iMAG adds SO MANY problems that it's really not something you want to get into unless your room seats at least 1000 people or more. 
Lighting Issues.  Latency Issues.  Switching Issues.  UGH!  Just Don't Do It.  Trust me on this...

Regarding your original Budget...  I think you can spend less on audio.  An X32 would be a step up for PA use and would give you lots of options for recording.  Those run around 2500 bucks right now.  Your budget for a decent PC/Mac to do this is about right.  I just bought a new iMac that is a monster and spent less than 2 grand.  1500 will buy you a very capable machine.  But the money you save on audio will end up going to video.  You'll need a couple of cameras and a decent switcher and a recorder, which is gonna take at least 4-5 grand to accomplish.

Good luck with the learning curve.  It's fun.  :) 

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Richard Carter

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »

Agree you need to be sure about copyright.

As to the actual recording, I have very good results with something like a Canon HF M41 HD camcorder.  I run the audio from the record out to the Audio in jack (ext mic) on the camcorder - this disables the internal mic and gives better sound.  If you are just posting the basic video with little editing, something like Pinnacle Studio can work just fine.  A fast HDD is helpful though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:43 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.