ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Must I bi-amp?  (Read 3758 times)

Matt Carter

Must I bi-amp?
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »

I recently acquired a Macro-Tech 2400. I have been trying to figure out if I can eliminate our two amp system and replace them both with this one individual amp. The cabinets are 2 PV 118 subs and 2 Klipsch mains. We are currently using a Mackie 1200 for the tops and a QSC 1600 for the subs, and running the tops from the (R) output on the board and the subs from the (L).
The power should work out just fine if I run bridge mono (2400 of total power pushing a 2 500w and 2 300 cabinets).

The problem I am having is figuring out the signal path and including the crossover. We go out of the board -> EQ -> Compressor -> Crossover -> Then I get stuck because there are two outs for the crossover (H and L)  but only one input on the amp for the L and R channel.

Should I come out of the crossover and send one signal to the left and one to the right (and make sure they correspond to the proper cabinets)? Will this work if I am running bridge mono and using both outputs on the amp?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, and if I need to include more info please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Must I bi-amp?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »

I recently acquired a Macro-Tech 2400. I have been trying to figure out if I can eliminate our two amp system and replace them both with this one individual amp. The cabinets are 2 PV 118 subs and 2 Klipsch mains. We are currently using a Mackie 1200 for the tops and a QSC 1600 for the subs, and running the tops from the (R) output on the board and the subs from the (L).
The power should work out just fine if I run bridge mono (2400 of total power pushing a 2 500w and 2 300 cabinets).

The problem I am having is figuring out the signal path and including the crossover. We go out of the board -> EQ -> Compressor -> Crossover -> Then I get stuck because there are two outs for the crossover (H and L)  but only one input on the amp for the L and R channel.

Should I come out of the crossover and send one signal to the left and one to the right (and make sure they correspond to the proper cabinets)? Will this work if I am running bridge mono and using both outputs on the amp?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, and if I need to include more info please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Your first hint is "BRIDGED MONO".  That means a SINGLE channel.  When you go bridged-the amp is no longer stereo-but is a mono amp, and if you wire up to bot outputs you are not bridging correctly-and actually causing cancellations and end up with LESS output-instead of more.

If you want to wire it up using the single amp-then run your crossover L to one channel and the crossover H to the other channel.  Hook your loudspeakers up to the channels that corrispond to the inputs.

FORGET bridging.  BUt please do read up on how it is done-the owners manual would be a good place to start.  It is amazing how many people are confused on how bridging works and how to do it.  Don't add yourself to that list.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:37:22 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »

Thanks in advance!

replacing the 2 units with the one unit, does not sound like a good idea. the ma2.4k is a true work horse but the two amplifiers still do have about 700wo 800w advantage. plus the ability to run stereo with a nice load on either side.

i think you should dump the mackie and run the ma2.4k on lows and put the 1600 on tops.

if you absolutely have to eliminate those two amplifiers, there's is no doubt it can be done,
that is 2 118s on one side  and 2 Klipsch on the other side of ma2.4k ( amp in stereo mode not bridged)

sheldon
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:41:42 PM by sheldon harris »

Matt Carter

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »

I only wanted to dump one amp because of the weight of the rack case. Not only do I have the two amps, but also all the other outboard gear, and the box is a beast, even on casters. We still have to lift it in and out of the van :(

Plus, I'm the drummer for our group so not only do I have to schlep the sound gear, but I have to schlep and set-up my kit as well. Just trying to find some shortcuts and make it easy on the muscles.

Not being a sound guy, I'm operating on some really basic knowledge and good old-fashion logic when it comes to making sure the system is configured properly and trying to get the peak performance out of it. A little help from the internet and some great advice from this forum has help me so far. I think I'll play with the stereo idea tomorrow. We pretty much only do weekend work so I have another week to play with it. We usually go about 3 months of solid booking then take a few weeks off, and I'm in the midst of one of our breaks right now.

Thanks for the tip!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

I'm still trying to get past the running left out on the console as mains and right out for subs and how that then relates to routing on the console and the rest of the signal chain, especially the crossover.  That just seems a very awkward way to do things.

Based on your comments I think that part of what may be causing your confusion is your running the mains off the right channel mixer output and the subs off the left channel output.  Doing this means that not only do you inherently have a mono system, but the EQ, compressor and crossover after the console operate in a 'non-traditional' manner as you are routing and processing the mains and sub signals independently. Perhaps most noticeable, instead of taking a full range signal into one input on the crossover and then using that channel's high and low outputs for the mains and subs respectively, you would be taking the right channel (mains) out of the mixer into one channel of the crossover and only using the high output on that channel of the crossover for the mains.  Then you'd want to run the left mixer output (subs) into the other input of the crossover and use only the low output.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:29:35 AM by Brad Weber »

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »

I recently acquired a Macro-Tech 2400. I have been trying to figure out if I can eliminate our two amp system and replace them both with this one individual amp.

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

This is how you would configure such a scenario.

You must operate the amplifier in Stereo Mode

Two tops on Channel 1 of the MA 2400

Two subs on Channel 2 of the MA 2400

That would offer 800 watts for your tops (400 per cabinet) and 800 for your subs (800 per cabinet). Bear in mind your crossover will go between the amplifier and mixing board.

Such a configuration would be like using your Mackie 1200 and QSC 1600 in stereo mode, one cabinet on each channel in terms of output. You should however, notice more output on your tops.

The Crown MA 2400 won’t care on such a configuration for it is two mono amplifiers in one chassis sharing the power cord and “enable” switch.

Bear in mind one MA 2400 will pull more current than a Mackie 1200 and, QSC 1600 combined. Make sure you can feed it at least 20 amperes for anything less is wasting the amplifier’s time. In other words, the Crown MA Series are known to draw lots of current. If you starve the amplifier, you will attain mediocre results. If you feed it enough current, the MA 2400
will offer good performance.

Best Regards,

Elliot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:59:28 PM by Elliot Thompson »

Matt Carter

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »

Thanks for all the tips. What I've ended up doing is getting two more top cabinets and running the system in stereo. I have the two Klipsch and now two Wood Worx 15's on top, both being pushed by the MC2400, and I bridged the QCS and run the two Peavy subs off of it. My home home test has been positive so far. The true test will come this weekend with our two gigs and I have my fingers crossed that everything works out well.

Thanks again for the insight.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »

Thanks for all the tips. What I've ended up doing is getting two more top cabinets and running the system in stereo. I have the two Klipsch and now two Wood Worx 15's on top, both being pushed by the MC2400, and I bridged the QCS and run the two Peavy subs off of it. My home home test has been positive so far. The true test will come this weekend with our two gigs and I have my fingers crossed that everything works out well.

Thanks again for the insight.
Wasn't the goal to eliminate an amp and the associated weight?  Now you apparently still have two amps and for some reason more, and mismatched, speakers.

The PV118 is rated at 400W Program, Nominal 8 Ohms and 95dB (1W/1m).  By "QSC 1600" I assume you mean the QSC EX 1600, which is rated at 400W/channel into 8 Ohms (20-20kHz, 0.1% THD) and 600W/channel into 4 Ohms (20-20kHz, 0.1% THD) in stereo mode and 1600W into 4 Ohms (1kHz, 1% THD) in bridge mono mode.  So you're potentially driving both the amp and the speakers right at their edge.  Running one sub per channel, either stereo or mono with the amp in parallel mode, probably makes more sense.

Assuming you mean the Worx 15A, that's two-way box with a 75 degree conical horn.  In full range mode the 15A is rated 200W Continuous, Nominal 8 Ohms and 96dB (1W/1m).  I don't know what Klipsch speakers you have.   The Macro-Tech 2400 is rated at 505W/channel into 8 Ohms (20-20kHz, 0.1% THD) and 750W/channel into 4 Ohms (20-20kHz, 0.1% THD) in stereo mode.  So running two speakers per side is at the most probably getting you a less than 2dB increase along with very lokely pattern mismatches, combfiltering, etc.

My suggestion is to quit overthinking it.  Run stereo out of the mixer into your crossover left and right inputs.  Left high and right high out into left and right channels respectively of the QSC EX 1600 in stereo mode with one main per channel.  And either mono summed low out into the Macro-Tech 2400 in parallel mode with one PV 118 per channel or left and right low out into the two channels of the MA 2400 in stereo mode with one PV 118 per channel.

If you want to get rid of an amp, run mono out of the mixer into one input of the crossover.  Run the high output into one amp channel for mains and the low into the other channel for the subs with the amp in stereo mode.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.