ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feed back  (Read 4500 times)

Mike Cheney

Feed back
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:21:18 AM »

I am having trouble with feedback coming through out system at the church. We currently run 2 choir loft mics that hang from the ceiling, 1 mic that runs to the piano, 4 vocal mics, 1 pulpet mic and 1 lapel mic. I can not turn up our choir loft mics very high at all with out getting a lot of feedback which results in the mics being useless. I can not figure out where it is coming from. Any ideas?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Feed back
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »

I am having trouble with feedback coming through out system at the church. We currently run 2 choir loft mics that hang from the ceiling, 1 mic that runs to the piano, 4 vocal mics, 1 pulpet mic and 1 lapel mic. I can not turn up our choir loft mics very high at all with out getting a lot of feedback which results in the mics being useless. I can not figure out where it is coming from. Any ideas?
There are a LOT of variables here.  My suggestion just to help you from the starting line is whatever mics are not being used shut them down.

If you have all the mics hot/on this can contribute to your problem.

You could also try a feedback destroyer/eliminator inserted on the mic
channels your loft mics are in.

I can list an example device and this is not the only company that makes this type of device.
If you have two loft mics you can insert one in each channel of this device.

dbx AFS224 Feedback Eliminator

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

What is your system made up of?

How is it deployed?  What are the relationships of the mics and various speakers?

But most importantly:

What EQ capabilities does your system have?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Richard Carter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »

A big question is whether you are using any monitor speakers for the choir - if so, you really cannot put the choir mics in the choir monitors as this almost guarantees feedback at any usable level.  Also, as asked earlier, what is the physical relationship between mics, speakers and other mics?

Do you leave other mics on when using the choir mics?  How much gain are you trying to get from the choir mics?

One thing you can try is to sweep a midrange EQ on the choir mics to find out whare the feedback is or use an app like AudioSpectrumMonitor on a tablet or smartphane and this will tell you the offending frequency.  Do this after service, not during, of course. If you have system EQ, you may be able to cut some there.

But main thing is to find out what speaker and mic are interacting.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »

You did not say what type of feedback you were having-low mid or high freq?  That might give a clue to some help.

What type of mics are they? omni-cardiod?  How are they positioned in relation to the choir (both physical placement and aiming)?

Do you have any problem with any of the other mics?  Ie is it a system or a mic issue?

As Richard said-are you running the choir mics through the monitors?  IF so STOP.  That is one of the major issues that causes feedback with choir mics.

If the choir says they "can't hear"- I say BULL CRAP!  Either they are not singing loud enough or SOMETHING ELSE is to loud-TURN IT DOWN so they can hear themselves.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »

I can not figure out where it is coming from. Any ideas?
Find someone local that understands feedback and its causes that can visit your church and both help solve your problem and explain to you what was happening and how to avoid or limit similar issues in the future.

Richard Carter

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:52:35 PM »

Maybe try some of the larger churches in your area - they could be helpful.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

Maybe try some of the larger churches in your area - they could be helpful.
OR they could have "wannabees"  that are full of "misconceptions" and falsehoods.

Just because they work at "the big Church down the street" does not mean they know what is going on.

Yes some do-but that does not "automatically" mean that all do.

Just saying be cautious.  I have heard all kinds of "bad advice" from people that others would "assume" would be experts.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.