ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need recommendations on system processor (Driverack)  (Read 7549 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Need recommendations on system processor (Driverack)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 02:26:14 pm »

Hi Jeff-

A few thoughts...

One AD/DA conversion for system drive won't be noticed by anyone sitting in the audience.  Three or four?  Possibly, and only if you could A/B it for them.

Use a Driverack 480 or 260 and accept the conversion or find the budget (probably means a console downgrade) and get a 4800 if staying AES means that much to the success of the ministry.  The Lake LM26 from Lab Gruppen is also AES i/o for similar $$ as the 4800

The real issue here is that changing processors will require a new measuring and tweaking session to match the transfer function of the current processing.  How were the settings in the Lake card arrived at?  Lake settings from JBL?  Installer?  End user?

And the lovely parting gift:  After 30+ years in the biz, I firmly believe that system processing for installed speakers should not be a part of the mixing console.  YMMV, of course.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I fully agree with this statement. Too many people are now trying to lump processing and console into one do all unit. Seperate the DSP from the console. I'm all for the 4800. I own a few dbx units, and I have compared many, but my 4800 is the money maker. The 4800, which can be found on line from $2500 to $8000, is as good as it get's in any ballpark.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Foster

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »

You said you are replacing your console as well - with what? You could keep the sample old setup with a Yamaha desk and one of these.

We haven't made any decisions yet.  The ones on the short list right now are the Allen-Heath GLD series (fully expanded), Midas Pro1, and Yamaha CL1.  We're likely looking at a budget of under $15k for everything (min. 48 ch console, stage boxes, and processor).  Of course, all this is dependent on if the TT24 is failing.  Some of the problems are so intermittent that I can't successfully test if they are in the console (most likely), the amps, or cabling somewhere.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Jared Koopman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 02:38:33 pm »

Samuel,

What did you end up going with.  In that other thread, it looks like the EV and Peavey units were ruled out.

I am curious of this as well.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Need recommendations on system processor (Driverack)
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:04:10 pm »

I didn't end up going with anything, actually. None of the options with AES in I liked very much, the EV and the Peavey seemed like kind of fringe products and I determined it wouldn't be a good use of money at that point in my business to buy a processor for generic purposes. I also invested in some powered QSC gear, so I don't know how helpful that is for your situation. My other conclusion was that by the time I'm going for my own processing, I want it to be in the amps. I think that is where the business is going and I like it a lot better than the in console or separate box concepts.

ProSoundWeb Community

Need recommendations on system processor (Driverack)
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:04:10 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.