ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy a second powered direct radiating sub or Build 2 Danley LABhorns?  (Read 9035 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Buy a second powered direct radiating sub or Build 2 Danley LABhorns?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:10:11 PM »

I can chime in perfectly here. We used 2 LAB subs for the longest time and they sounded great and were really loud for the given wattage we fed them. I loved the speakers and they were easily as good, if not better than most dual 18s at the time (this was like 8 years ago). We then built two more...and holy shit! They got WAY louder and played quite a bit lower and sounded quite a bit better.

How do you know they went any lower-IN RELATION to the rest of the response?

Yes the lower notes will be louder-BUT SO WILL the higher freq.  So the actual response is not really going any lower-just that the lower notes are louder than before.

I have posted the below measurements before.  It is 1-2-3 and 4 of the Danley DBH218 subs.  They are a "normal horn" like the Lab 12-albeit a different layout-drivers etc.  But you can see that basically more subs just get louder-not that much lower.

That is not opinion-but measured data.  This was measured in the middle of a very large parking lot
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »

The only comment I would add to this is that the LAB Sub is big and heavy. It is not a one person sub by any means.

Rick Powell

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

The only comment I would add to this is that the LAB Sub is big and heavy. It is not a one person sub by any means.

There are some conceivable situations I'd rather have a JBL XLF on the low end rather than a LABsub.  A gig on the 2nd floor, that did not require crunching low end, is one of them.  For your average lounge gig, the XLF is fine.  For outdoors, the LAB would be great, and multiples even more great.  The thing is 250 lbs, though.  But it's fairly easy to tilt in and out of a HiCube van or trailer and transport if you have casters or a dolly board for it.

Jeff Baumgartner

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

I move and set my LABS all the time by myself.
But then again, I roll them everywhere. Elevators, ramps, trailer, truck. I have never had to lift them.
If you are doing smaller shows though, it might be in better interest to buy something much smaller. Two of them in a 1K theater is overkill. Though they do work great for stacking tops on.
Jeff Baumgartner

Show Technologies Audio Visual

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.