ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?  (Read 232072 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: behringer x32 cracking and popping with 2x S16 connected?
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »

So, like I was surmising, it's not about the movement being different in the double H layout, its about the relationship of the pairs.

Lee

Maybe. There may be less movement because the H's are thicker and isolate each pair from the physical disruption, certainly better than no filler. I'm pretty sure we disrupted a cable with X filler.

The relationship equalization of the H's or by some other method is specially needed for CAT6 performance and higher, which does not relate to the X32 except that higher Category cables are better and better at all things CAT. There did not seem to be a penalty for going higher CATegory other than cost, and conversely, there was nothing said about lower Category devices working better (or worse) with higher Category cable.

It did seem that if you were approaching the ragged edge in terms of length or number of connections (no more than four cables in a run, 100 meters max total without a repeater) that the higher Category cables might give you some performance margin where you'd have none with lower Category cables. Or maybe not, we certainly didn't look closely at this.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »

Did we ever get a definitive answer here? We're experiencing this same issue.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »

Did we ever get a definitive answer here? We're experiencing this same issue.

No definitive answer, I'm afraid.
Behringers reply has been to use good quality cable that is wired correctly to the "B" standard.
Unfortunately, even doing this, the problem persists.
Other systems in the EXACT same conditions do not suffer from this problem.
Darren

Brian Wynn

« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2013, 10:04:05 PM »

Well the cold dry air is back in the midwest.  And it has brought with it my X32 ESD "Static discharge problem" As I explained in the this thread many months ago. 
If I ESD my body to the desk with a S16 connected I lose sync between the X32 and the S16.  This happened again last night at a event.  So today I decided to do some testing in the shop.  I know the question still stands shielded or non-shielded cat5e cable.  I have found the answer.  You can see it for your self in the video I have posted to Youtube.  Check out the link below.  I think you will be surprised.

Lets hear everyones thoughts on this…….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nWF_0agjk

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »

Well the cold dry air is back in the midwest.  And it has brought with it my X32 ESD "Static discharge problem" As I explained in the this thread many months ago. 
If I ESD my body to the desk with a S16 connected I lose sync between the X32 and the S16.  This happened again last night at a event.  So today I decided to do some testing in the shop.  I know the question still stands shielded or non-shielded cat5e cable.  I have found the answer.  You can see it for your self in the video I have posted to Youtube.  Check out the link below.  I think you will be surprised.

Lets hear everyones thoughts on this…….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nWF_0agjk
That video link is "private".
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Brian Wynn

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »

That video link is "private".

Fixed  Thanx

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »

Brian,

You've provided a very clear example of the issue with the video. I have no dog in the fight, but dealing with ESD in the data centers I work in is a real issue in a very real world. This type problem is almost always due to poor equipment / chassis / component grounding. Generally traced to a floating daughterboard or section of the circuit isolated from earth. The use of a chassis grounded Ethernet cable enhances the effect almost proving the problem can not be resolved through the use of a common ground (A/C receptacle), or common ground (chassis / earth).

I would wonder if you tried your test using unshielded cable and discharging to the stage box instead of the console. If you can not replicate the problem from the stage box side I would then suggest the issue is within the X32 and not the stage box. Once that has been decided it's possible that the daughterboard used for the port sub assembly (if that is the case), is not grounded to the chassis and as mentioned above "floating from ground". This is all speculation on my part, but I think your video establishes the problem is real, giving the folks at Behringer a starting point at least.

In the Soundcraft world the stage boxes are equipped with an external word clock port which can be used to tie the console and stage box together. If this is the case with Behringer, have you tried using the combination and testing with that type of configuration. I wish you luck.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »

Brian,

You've provided a very clear example of the issue with the video. I have no dog in the fight, but dealing with ESD in the data centers I work in is a real issue in a very real world. This type problem is almost always due to poor equipment / chassis / component grounding. Generally traced to a floating daughterboard or section of the circuit isolated from earth. The use of a chassis grounded Ethernet cable enhances the effect almost proving the problem can not be resolved through the use of a common ground (A/C receptacle), or common ground (chassis / earth).

I would wonder if you tried your test using unshielded cable and discharging to the stage box instead of the console. If you can not replicate the problem from the stage box side I would then suggest the issue is within the X32 and not the stage box. Once that has been decided it's possible that the daughterboard used for the port sub assembly (if that is the case), is not grounded to the chassis and as mentioned above "floating from ground". This is all speculation on my part, but I think your video establishes the problem is real, giving the folks at Behringer a starting point at least.

In the Soundcraft world the stage boxes are equipped with an external word clock port which can be used to tie the console and stage box together. If this is the case with Behringer, have you tried using the combination and testing with that type of configuration. I wish you luck.

Bob I have indeed tried the ESD point on the chassis of the stage box with and without unshielded cat5e cable.  Same result every time.  I do believe your onto something with the AES50 board not being directly grounded in both the X32 and the S16.  I think I might pop one open and have a look inside.  Thanks for your thought.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »

Here is a shorter video with a track playing so you can hear the audio drop. 

This is with a Shielded cat5e cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVRDzYhgxN0&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:16:20 AM by Brian Wynn »

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2013, 02:13:21 AM »

This really makes me not want to get this desk. Not with the S16s anyway.

That explains why the pops and sync losses seemed random. At first we thought it was the HVAC system but the pops weren't always exactly in sync with it.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2013, 02:13:21 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.